Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to clean the engine bay of my 116i because am bored

What do you recommend i know people say jet wash it but not fancying that with it being a petrol

I have gave it a general wipe over every now and then but i want to give it a good clean

would a steam cleaner be a good idea or what do you recommend ???

· Registered
2,815 Posts
I did mine a while ago. I used autoglym engine degreaser.

I covered the alternator with foil and all the exposed electrical connectors with cling film.

Spray on the cleaner. Agitate dirt with a detailing brush, rinse off with hose.

Dry with microfiber cloth and then apply some autoglym show shine and it literally will come up like new.

Here is the thread with the photos, and to this day it still looks as clean as this. Hell I'll even get a picture when I go out to my car shortly for you.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking doog, might have a dig through was given a load of autoglym stuff the other month never really looked to see whats there, if not a trip on halfords might be in order ha ha

· Registered
295 Posts
I was like you and I daren't put a high amount of water in the engine bay so I used an APC (G101) mixed at a strong ratio then just sprayed each bit that I cleaned, worked in with various brushes and clothes then I wiped the area dry. Granted it did take a few hours and a lot of my patience but I was happy in the end

· Registered
1,256 Posts
I do this quite regularly as I look after a few of my friends cars.

Spray with a cleaning product such as Autoglym engine & machine cleaner. Agitate with a brush and allow to dwell for a couple of minutes.

Standing a short distance away, hose off the product thoroughly.

While still wet, apply Autoglym vinyl and rubber are and allow to dry naturally.

The results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.