Baby BMW Forum banner

1 Mar 08: Northern Romp

39K views 68 replies 16 participants last post by  EXgtiman 
#1 ·
Which day?
Satin Black562.50%
Body Colour - Le Mans Blue337.50%

Discussion starter · #2 ·
Here is my suggestion for a cruise to take place on either Saturday or Sunday of the very first weekend of March 2008. My preference is for the Saturday, because it gives everyone the chance to recover on the Sunday. :D

The cruise will start from the Travelodge just off J40 of the M6 at 09:00 sharp and head off for breakfast at a nearby tea room at about 09:30. This will be followed by a gentle drive to Bowlees where we will (weather permitting) get out and stroll over to the Low Force waterfalls.

This will be followed by a drive criss-crossing the Yorkshire Dales with lunch at the (point 16 on the map).

After lunch, we will drive to either Hawes or Ingleton for a Yorkshire high tea and then head off to the end point, just off J36 of the M6. The end of the cruise will be at about 17:00, although times are subject to confirmation.

Please vote for Saturday or Sunday and make a note of your name in the thread, and also how many people you would have in your car. :wink:

Attending

Spokey - 2
tminal - 1
timmel rimmel - 2
gmcelroy - 1

Maybe

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Toonman said:
For those wanting a blast about, if the weather's more than half decent. this route will be very, very busy - with tourists. Little chance to safely stretch the legs...
My routes are subject to change. :|

Discussion starter · #7 ·
tminal said:
Saturday for me at the moment as it is a 3.5 hour drive for me from Solihull to start with so might try and organise something so that I am up in Liverpool on the Friday 29th February and drive up to Penrith on the Friday night and stay over ready for the morning!

On my original thread it appears that everyone that is interested is from the North anyhow, looks a good route though! Have you done this route before Spokey?
Parts of it, not all as one drive.

tminal said:
I guess it will put most people off from down south! :rollseyes:
:D

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Toonman said:
I realised it was just a suggestion but I was just using my local knowledge...
That's why my routes are subject to change.

(Another reason my routes are subject to change is that the police now read websites like this and use the information they glean to sit along our routes, hoping to catch us speeding... :rollseyes: )

Discussion starter · #23 ·
EXgtiman said:
PS if you know any one that you dont like my present golf will be available for sale on that date as well.
:lol2:

If your 1er isn't ready, you can always bring the Golf. I'll drive slowly so you can keep up. :D

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Please note everybody, the route has changed! I'll be advising on the new route as soon as a couple of things have been confirmed.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Right folks, it's time to talk turkey. If you want to come along, please send me a PM with the following details:

Your forum name
Your real name
The colour of your car
The registration number of your car
Your mobile phone number

(I need these so that I can keep track of people on the day and get hold of you if you are late or get lost.)

Please respond ASAP, thanks! :D

Discussion starter · #34 ·
spokey said:
Right folks, it's time to talk turkey. If you want to come along, please send me a PM with the following details:

Your forum name
Your real name
The colour of your car
The registration number of your car
Your mobile phone number

(I need these so that I can keep track of people on the day and get hold of you if you are late or get lost.)

Please respond ASAP, thanks! :D
Actually, can I add that you confirm the number of people in your car? :redface:

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Just a quick bump! I've only had clear confirmation from JoHNY and tminal, is anyone else definitely going to be there? If you are, could you please send me a PM? :wink:

Oh, the route has changed slightly ... people who have confirmed will get the updated details via PM. Unless I get a clear confirmation PM, you will not be sent the new details. :)

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Never mind chaps! There will be others! :wink: (Although you will be sorely missed! :( )

Discussion starter · #45 ·
tminal said:
JoHNY said:
Ain't gonna be able to make it. Something important has come up. :cry:
Shame you can't make it Johny, hope its nothing serious! :(

So how many are going now Spokey?
Still have myself, timmel rimmel and you, with gmcelroy as a possible.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Friday night was foul. I drove up to Cumbria with some apprehension. However, Saturday morning was dry(ish) and sunny(ish) and (gale force) breezy.

We (tminal, timmel rimmel, gmcelroy, spokey and pickle) met in the car park at Rheged Discovery Centre, where there was a competition to see who could park in the most "BMW" manner possible. It was a four-way tie. :twisted:

We drove up to the Hartside Summit cafe for a cuppa, where the wind was ... brisk.

1ers in the car park

tminal doing a Titanic Kate Winslet (gmcelroy behind him wasn't too keen on reprising Leonardo Di Caprio's role, though)

After sausage baps and coffee had been inhaled, we headed off for Hadrian's Wall, including the first exposure of the 1er posse to some of my famous side road exploration.

Just before the Wall, we got balked by some old duffers in a Honda Jazz. I shot past, but they didn't like the look of timmel rimmel's red beast and nearly stuffed him into a wall!

1ers parked up at Hadrian's Wall after the Jazz incident

We climbed up to the wall and all got soggy socks. :lol2:

The 1er posse, windswept and interesting

We then headed off to High Force.

I think they were debating whether it could be used to wash their cars

Very forceful indeed!

I am out of practice, which is why lunch was a complete disaster: the pub I'd earmarked was full and they weren't interested in feeding us, three pubs thereafter were either closed or not serving lunch and when we did eventually find a place we could eat at, we had to change our order three times because they had run out of everything! :redface: I'll do better next time, I promise!

We then drove over to Ravenstone for scones and coffee and said our farewells.

I had a blast, it was great to meet you all, and I hope to see you at more cruises in the future! :thumbs:

Discussion starter · #58 ·
JoHNY said:
Great photos Spokey, you all seem to be very ugly though. :lol2:
You'll notice I carefully didn't put any photos of me up. And I won't tell my daughter you said that! :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.