Runflats Binned....

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

gawako_syd

Post by gawako_syd » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:36 am

Hi Iwant1, the wheels are made by BBS, I think. Check BBS website http://www.bbs.com/Search_alloy_wheels_ ... .html?&L=2 and I got my wheels from this Australian distributor if you want to make enquiries http://www.amgaustralia.com/?gclid=CPOr ... GAodhR4VqQ. Or you may want to check this shop in Melbourne http://magwheelcentre.com.au/

ghibbett

Post by ghibbett » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi All,

Got my non-RFT PS2s yesterday. Should be getting them fitted on Friday. Will report back soon...

Cheers,
Current :-)
S50 M-Coupe, Estoril Blue
Black Leather, Heated Seats
Harman Kardon, Tracker

Gone :-(
130i M-Sport, Le Mans Blue
Xenons, Boston Leather
Prof CD, 6 CD Changer
Tracker, Darkline rear lamps

Iwant1

Post by Iwant1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:12 am

ghibbett, will be interested to hear what you think. :thumbs:
SOLD my 130i ///M
Visit my gª®ªge

Driftgod

Post by Driftgod » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:53 am

Got the new tyres on yet ghibbet? if so, where did you get them from, and how much did you pay?

psycho29

Post by psycho29 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:27 am

Ok, so, you're saying that is no prob at all to put 255/35 on the 18" X 8 208M if this is true, I'll change them right away, cause I have my winter tires 225/40-18 all arround, and I noticed the car goes better that with RF, and my RF were 300 km when I sold them, so....... 255/35-18 it is!!!!!!!!!! :D

BUT!, will this be ok in a 120d???? and I have 20 mm separators on the rear right now, and a little rub in the inside arch, and some Eibach Sportline 50/35 comming.... will this work???? separators out I think? Problems with the arch wirh the new springs????

ghibbett

Post by ghibbett » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:42 am

Driftgod wrote:Got the new tyres on yet ghibbet? if so, where did you get them from, and how much did you pay?
Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of response since getting my new tyres fitted - bit busy at this end. Anyways, on Friday I went to get my new 4 x 225/40 R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 2s fitted. There is good news, different news and bad news.

Bad news:
The absolute fecker who fitted the tyres scratched every rim taking the old RFTs off. With all the crap they put on the rims/tyres to help release the tyre from the rim, any scratches were hidden under a layer of gunk. However when I got home and cleaned the wheels, I found them. :censored: They're not too bad, but I still notice them. So that'll be a 4x wheel re-furb needed then... :banghead:

Different news:
The new tyres have certainly made the steering lighter. Also, with the lack of sidewall strengthening, initial turn in has lost is go-kart like instant response. But the feel is still very much there - just a little more discreet. Much like my old E30 325i. :thumbs:

Good news:
Err....the ride!! I was as skeptical as a very skeptical person called Mr S. Keptical, but there is a difference. And it's BIG!!!!! Reversing off of my driveway, the path drops down to the road with a very small kerbed drop (~1cm). Before you could feel the wheel drop down like a lead weight. Now it is just a mere patter. So all things so good so far.
Next step was to drive the route to work and back as I know these roads intimately :gossip: :yummy: . NO! not like that :nono:

Was there a difference? Flippin' 'eck! Either they had, just prior to my driving down them, re-surfaced the road but made it look like it hadn't been re-surfaced, or bumps that used to be there are now no longer felt by the driver as the suspension is doing what it's meant too! The difference can be felt everywhere.

I could carry on with superlatives etc etc, but I will leave it with this: "I will NEVER put run-flats back on my 130iM* as it now feels like a new (better riding) car and and re-invigorated my love for it (:whip:)

Cheers,

*Well, when I sell the 130iM then I have the old RFTs to put back on. Will have to pre-book an osteopath for that day...
Harman Kardon, Tracker

Xenons, Boston Leather
Prof CD, 6 CD Changer

130girl
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 130girl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:58 am

ghibbett wrote:I will NEVER put run-flats back on my 130iM as it now feels like a new (better riding) car and and re-invigorated my love for it (:whip:)
Very jealous ghibbett. How would mrash would put it... an even luckier bast@rd!!!!
May I ask why you only went 225 in the rear?

130girl :)

PS. I'm confused, if the 130i ///M is a masculine car, is that like man love or am I missing something... :confused1:

preppeller
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by preppeller » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:36 am

130girl, I know there has been quite a bit of talk about putting 255s on the back, but I still believe these are a little too big for the standard rear rims.

This is what i said (a few pages earlier)...
I wanted to get to the bottom of what you can get away with on the standard BMW M Sport 7.5x18 Front and 8x18 Rear rims.

using http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html which has lots of calculators on there, I have gotten to the following conclusion:

The best tyre sizes which are in stock in plenty at mytyres (with good brand names and not run flats, fit comfortably on the current rim sizes and only change the speedo by -0.7% (well within boundries ie 70mph on the speedo is actually 69.51mph) are.... *drumroll*

225/40x18 on the front and 245/35x18 on the rear.
If you use the "An ideal rim-width calculator" on that page, it says that 255/35R18 are suited for 8.5 to 10.5 rims, so you would be pinching the tyres if you put them on the standard rear rims.

Another reason why people are putting 225 all around is to keep the car tail happy. putting massive 255s on the rear will make it much harder to induce oversteer without an LSD.
BMW 130i M Sport, Sapphire Black with Boston Black Leather, Xenons, HiFi

Iwant1

Post by Iwant1 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:51 am

ghibbett wrote: I could carry on with superlatives etc etc, but I will leave it with this: "I will NEVER put run-flats back on my 130iM* ...
:thumbs: :clap: :clap:
SOLD my 130i ///M
Visit my gª®ªge

ghibbett

Post by ghibbett » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:03 am

130girl wrote: May I ask why you only went 225 in the rear?
preppeller wrote:Another reason why people are putting 225 all around is to keep the car tail happy. putting massive 255s on the rear will make it much harder to induce oversteer without an LSD.
What Preppeller said !!
130girl wrote:PS. I'm confused, if the 130i ///M is a masculine car, is that like man love or am I missing something... :confused1:
Er, does this not depend on whether one considers their car male or female?
Harman Kardon, Tracker

Xenons, Boston Leather
Prof CD, 6 CD Changer

130girl
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 130girl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:31 am

Thanks ghibbett and preppeller. :thumbs:
Also looks like a 2-3lb/tire weight saving too. very interesting and definitely some food for thought. I am assuming 225 in front to also assist over steer bias. If I wanted to keep it fairly neutral, I should try to keep 205 in front? But this dimension is quite rare in an 18" with 45 profile. Ahhhh.. 225 all round now making more sense... :idea:
ghibbett wrote:
130girl wrote:PS. I'm confused, if the 130i ///M is a masculine car, is that like man love or am I missing something... :confused1:
Well, let me cast my mind back...
Rippled wrote:No i think it [1er] is a unisex car other than the M Sport, which does appear a little more butch and bulky compared to what i consider slim line feminine cars.
You do drive an ///M sport right ghibbett??? :whip:
Does your have a "wonderfully slick knob" like rippled's too??? :prod:

130girl :D

ghibbett

Post by ghibbett » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:54 am

130girl wrote:Thanks ghibbett and preppeller. :thumbs:
Also looks like a 2-3lb/tire weight saving too. very interesting and definitely some food for thought. I am assuming 225 in front to also assist over steer bias. If I wanted to keep it fairly neutral, I should try to keep 205 in front? But this dimension is quite rare in an 18" with 45 profile. Ahhhh.. 225 all round now making more sense... :idea:
The penny has dropped !!
130girl wrote:
ghibbett wrote:
Well, let me cast my mind back...
Rippled wrote:No i think it [1er] is a unisex car other than the M Sport, which does appear a little more butch and bulky compared to what i consider slim line feminine cars.
You do drive an ///M sport right ghibbett??? :whip:
Does your have a "wonderfully slick knob" like rippled's too??? :prod:

130girl :D
Well actually my 130iM is a hermaphrodite. Fun for everyone !! :band:
Harman Kardon, Tracker

Xenons, Boston Leather
Prof CD, 6 CD Changer

psycho29

Re: Runflats Binned....

Post by psycho29 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 pm

roofer wrote:...For P/Zero rosso, 255/35 rears, 225/40 fronts.

Ride quality is transformed, turn in is crisp.

I will never buy a Runflat shod car again :evil:
Ok, so, please answer this:

Wich rims do U have? 208? 18x8 on the rear? 255/35 on the rear? does it rub in the inside arch? is your car lowered? are U planning to?

Please response ROOFER, I need your experience.... Thanks!

roofer

Post by roofer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:35 pm

psycho29

Post by psycho29 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:32 pm

roofer wrote:Scroll down....
:roll:
Thanx pal!

Return to “BMW Problems”