Handbrake warning light On please help

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

sawkt1series

Handbrake warning light On please help

Post by sawkt1series »

Hello everyone, Im a new member on the forum. Im a very pround owner of a Bmw 1 series, I have recently gone for my first Mot and the brake pads needed changing, I have changed this at a local garage as I have always used the stealers but their prices seem to be going up all the time, especially in Birmingham one unamed dealership network have a monopoly, Any way, My pads were changed and afterward I noticed the brake warning light the same one as the Handbrake light is on all the time, It also has the warning where the vehicle is on a ramp in red.

Just a quick note I have also changed the sensors but made no difference.

Any help would be appreciated, As Im trying to avoid the dealers and paying them over the odds.
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Handbrake warning light On please help

Post by marco_polo »

Have you reset the wear indicators, since you changed the leads?

You need to turn the ignition on (not the engine though) by pressing the starter button for a few seconds WITHOUT depressing the clutch. Next, hold the Trip Reset button down for 5 seconds. That should get you into the 'service' OBC menu, known as CBS.

To navigate around, use the up/down toggle on the indicator stalk. Select and reset (hold down to reset) using the BC button on the end.

Good luck!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate
sawkt1series

Post by sawkt1series »

marco_polo wrote:Have you reset the wear indicators, since you changed the leads?

You need to turn the ignition on (not the engine though) by pressing the starter button for a few seconds WITHOUT depressing the clutch. Next, hold the Trip Reset button down for 5 seconds. That should get you into the 'service' OBC menu, known as CBS.

To navigate around, use the up/down toggle on the indicator stalk. Select and reset (hold down to reset) using the BC button on the end.

Good luck!
Hi thanks for the quick reply, Ive reset all the service indicators, But one thing I notice is the front and rear brake pad indicators in th emenu has turned yelow and is just showing "------" where as the oil, Microfilter, Brake fluid etc have mileag on there.

Thanks for any replies
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

You reset the indicators already? Hmmm. The little clock symbol definitely circled?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

sawkt1series

Post by sawkt1series »

marco_polo wrote:You reset the indicators already? Hmmm. The little clock symbol definitely circled?
Yes thats right, Even when I try do it now it circles, But no mileage comes up, just the -----.

As I said all the others work fine and can be reset as normal.
Pobsey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Pobsey »

Once it goes red then its a trip to the dealers to turn it off, if its yellow then you can do it, might need new sensors if these were not replaced.

I had the same problem after I changed mine the first time,
2019 330D Too much spec to list
2010 118d M Sport 5 door Alpine White, Bluetooth, Xenons, H/K, Interior storage pack 150k
2007 120d M Sport 5 door Alpine White, Bluetooth, Comfort Pack, Black Leather, Sun Protection Glass, Last seen at 193k
sawkt1series

Post by sawkt1series »

Hi everyone just wanted to give an update, It turns out one of the sensors were faulty, So brought a new pair and fitted them and hey presto light dissapeared.

:) :)
ogee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ogee »

sawkt1series wrote:Hi everyone just wanted to give an update, It turns out one of the sensors were faulty, So brought a new pair and fitted them and hey presto light dissapeared.

:) :)
It just disappeared, or did you have to repeat the reset procedure for the brake pad indicators?

I have replaced my front pads and sensor today, but the indicator still shows 18.000 km left. I though it would go up to 50.000km or something.

Edit. Just tried to reset the front pad wear indicator and it worked. After reset it says 50.000km left.
2005 120dA E87 - Sparkling Graphite with some goodies (A22 LHA1 2KC 2MH 226 235 249 255 319 322 403 423 430 431 434 468 473 481 488 493 494 5DC 502 508 520 521 522 534 540 563 609 644 672 677 7RP 7RT MUEB ZBEP)
jamie82

Post by jamie82 »

Hi,
I have this very same problem after changing all pads and disc yesterday, will change the sensors today and see what happens!
Joe..
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Joe.. »

Pobsey wrote:Once it goes red then its a trip to the dealers to turn it off, if its yellow then you can do it, might need new sensors if these were not replaced.

I had the same problem after I changed mine the first time,
Sorry to bump an old thread...but is that correct, once the red ramp appears it's a trip to the dealership?

I never got a yellow ramp warning, just the service removal.
1er-lover
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 1er-lover »

Joe.. wrote:
Pobsey wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread...but is that correct, once the red ramp appears it's a trip to the dealership?
No, I had this. I disconnected the battery for a while and tried it again, it then reset without any problems.
BMWP 269 Alloys, BMWP pedals, Darkline rear lights, Aero spoiler, Beesting aerial, Tinted rear windows.
BMWP front bumper, Black grilles, BMWP SSK, Angel eye's, BMWP Strut brace.
Pics Here
HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x »

marco_polo wrote:Have you reset the wear indicators, since you changed the leads?

Good luck!
Sorry for bumping an old thread but thank you marco!!! I remember reading this thread a very long time ago and the information has stuck with me.

Had my rear brake pads changed today.. Supplied the parts myself which I ordered from Cotswold BMW (Who I highly recommend by the way – placed an order on Friday afternoon at 1:45PM and they arrived Saturday morning at 9AM! Excellent service :) ) and only asked the mechanic to fit them for me.

When I picked up my car, the service light was still on. I asked the mechanic why he hasn’t reset the service light yet and he told me it’s a bit tricky and would cost me an extra £5 for him to do it.. :roll:

I asked him how he could justify charging £5 to press a few buttons to reset the service indicator and he just said "Thats what we charge miss"

I told him I will do it myself and he said "goodluck then!". I did it right there in front of his face and he just said "well not everyone knows that".

So thank you marco_polo! Your wisdom and knowledge has saved me £5 today. :worship: :D
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

:lol: Priceless. :thumbs:

Return to “BMW Problems”