The car in question

M140i £20,990
Estriol blue
Manual
BT17WDC
10,500ish miles
1 service done about 200miles ago
1 lady owner from new

A couple of days ago i paid a visit to my local dealer to view the above car and take it for a test drive, after spending some time their everything looked good and seemed legit.
The Following day I was all set to place a deposit on the car, but after doing a quick hpi check using www.caranalytics.co.uk it came back saying recorded as stolen and some sort of finance issue.
After speaking to bmw and explaining this to them they have assured me that after doing their own background and hpi checks there is no cause for concern regarding theft or finance of any sort and that the car is clean and legit. etc ......I also have this in writing.
I’m due to call in at the dealership later today hopefully to resolve the matter but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s the link to the full background of the car

https://www.caranalytics.co.uk/report/B ... 2019061206
Last edited by Guyzak on Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tallpaul

Re: Help needed!!!!!

Post by Tallpaul »

The only advice I can give is that unless BMW can demonstrate that the stolen marker is a mistake and you can verify this yourself, walk away. There are plenty of other cars out there.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo »

I'd do a vehicle check on Arnie's https://www.vcheck.uk website, see if he can dig up any salvage photos. Could have been used for ram-raiding and repaired, or it could have just been a fob snatch and joy-ride.

I don't doubt the BMW Finance is settled, but I'd be extremely wary of proceeding without some more info on the theft, recovery, and time/abuse in between.

Plus those insurance markers are for life, so I'd want a whopping discount as the next buyer will too. Permanently devalued.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

dantheman
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by dantheman »

With a stolen marker on the car I'd be walking, explanation or not. There are loads about for that kind of price and another one that takes your fancy will appear.
2016 LCI F20 M135i Auto - Alpine White / Coral

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw »

Personally I would run a mile as having 'stolen recovered' marker against it will just mean you have a hard time shifting it when you come to sell.

Like MP said I wouldn't have any worries about the outstanding finance, that will be sorted by the dealer BUT what does the dealer know about the stolen part, bugger all, who knows what happened, maybe nothing, maybe major off roading and abuse occurred, is it worth gambling £20k on what doesn't seem according to the valuations on your link a particularly cheap example either. Numerous users have reported issues on BMW AUC's as well so wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Plenty of used clean examples out there, run run run.

NISFAN

BT17WDC - Help needed!!!!!

Post by NISFAN »

The biggest issue is.....it’s a manual. Seems even the thieves didn’t like it and left it abandoned

On a serious note, as above, unless spec and condition place it’s value way above the typical price it’s up for sale at, I’d find another somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

chall5
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: BT17WDC - Help needed!!!!!

Post by chall5 »

Let us know what the dealer says. Do they just expect you to take their word for it ? Be interesting to hear how they are explaining the stolen marker away

As others have said I’d find another
E82 135i DCT N55
E82 123d
E36 320i
E30 318i

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Walk away with big steps and I would not use the dealer again if they are trying to fob you off with excuses.

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw »

And this thread and the overwhelming consensus to run a mile is why I would never install a tracker (not saying this car had one but you get my thinking) !!!! You pay £500 and a monthly sub for the tracker, get zero discount off your insurance and then get stuck with a car no one wants and will be worth less than it should, all in all bent over and fully stuffed. Not getting the car back and GAP is the only way, you come out okay

Class2ldn
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Class2ldn »

It will only be recorded if the insurance have paid out , if its nicked and found before they pay then it doesn't even get recorded as stolen.
I'd definitely walk away, the fact you have doubts by posting here says enough to keep looking.
Mineral Grey M140, Auto, Coral, Heated seats/wheel, Sun protection, Pro nav, HK, Comfort package, Lumbar, Front/Rear sensors, Speed limit display.

Maybebmw
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Maybebmw »

Paying 21k for a 2 year old M140 and a manual at that! Walk away, better value out there - get an auto instead too :spotman:
M140 with a few extra's

phantomed

Post by phantomed »

Walk. Don't look back.

Guyzak

Post by Guyzak »

Thanks for all your comments and advice, currently in talks with a few different dealers so will update you all on the outcome.

Tom314
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tom314 »

If that's the dealer in Wolverhampton I'd steer clear of them (Knights BMW Wolverhampton, found me Rybrook in Wolverhampton and Knights in Stafford). I had some dealings with them in the past with them hiding the paint condition of a car and being a complete bunch of w#####s. Not a company I'd ever deal with again unless there were big changes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

Guyzak

Post by Guyzak »

Ye Sorry I got it wrong, meant Rybrook bmw Wolverhampton, apologies.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”