Baby BMW Forum banner

Runflats Binned....

55K views 185 replies 52 participants last post by  punky 
#1 ·
...For P/Zero rosso, 255/35 rears, 225/40 fronts.

Ride quality is transformed, turn in is crisp.

I will never buy a Runflat shod car again :evil:

#27 ·
Iwant1 said:
roofer, thanks for the info. I was going to put 245/35 R18 non-RFT on the rears as I thought that was the biggest you can have, now 255 will be the go! awesome! :D
Let us know how you go Iwant1. I've got ages until my rubber wears out but will be interested to see what tires you can source and how it feels on our roads in Melbourne.

cheers
130girl :)

#28 ·
130girl said:
Let us know how you go Iwant1. I've got ages until my rubber wears out but will be interested to see what tires you can source and how it feels on our roads in Melbourne.

cheers
130girl, will do, but the problem is that after 21K kms of driving with DTC (lots of wheel spin :D ), the threads on my Goodyears are still pretty good. The RFT are pretty bad when going over road bumps especially the small metal ones at the supermarkets... :evil: Might just go and get them replaced anyway cos I think non-RFT would be a lot better. I had a rex before this and it was lower with 18". The ride was much better, plus the fat look from the rears would not go astray. :D

#29 ·
Iwant1 said:
130girl, will do, but the problem is that after 21K kms of driving with DTC (lots of wheel spin :D ), the threads on my Goodyears are still pretty good. The RFT are pretty bad when going over road bumps especially the small metal ones at the supermarkets... :evil: Might just go and get them replaced anyway cos I think non-RFT would be a lot better. I had a rex before this and it was lower with 18". The ride was much better, plus the fat look from the rears would not go astray. :D
I agree, those metal speedhumps should be banned!!! 21K kms??? I haven't even done 5K kms- sounds like I have ages to until I can get my 255 in the rear... :bawl:
130girl

#30 ·
Hi 130Girl,

I have a solution to you wanting to replace the current rear end with a wider one( :rollseyes: ).....take your car to an old airfield.

2 months ago both front and rear tyres had about 5.5mm of tread. Then I went to Bruntingthorpe. Now the fronts have 5.0mm and the rears 2.5mm. Easy! And as such I will be putting 4x 225/40 R18 PS2s on within the next 6 weeks or so.

Will report back when I have new tyres, and funnily enough a wider front end... :spotman:

#34 ·
Iwant1 said:
Looks like I will be ditching the RFT 2moro. Getting 225/40 & 245/35 Conti SC2 fitted. Would have liked 255 for the rears but was advised against it as they require 8.5 min width.
I'll be keen to see those and hear your report Iwant1
How long did it take before your turfed the RFT???
130girl :wink:

#35 ·
130girl, the baby is gonna be 1er year old later this month. :grin: I noticed the RFT bad ride when I test drove the 1er back in Feb last year so it has taken me 12 months to do something about it. It is not something you go and change straight away as it takes a bit of $$ to do. Now I am just gonna store the RFT until I get a set of 19" and then sell them 2nd hand with the M208 rims. I can't wait to test the non-RFT.

#36 ·
OK, the Conti Sport Contact 2s are fitted, 225/40 fronts and 245/35 rears. So, what's my impression after about 70km of running in this morning? Improvements all around IMO. More grip, the traction loss symbol when DTC is on, doesn't come on as often. Did not notice any change in NHV. Going over road bumps (small metal ones like railway/tram tracks) doesn't feel like hitting a brick anymore. (at least 30% improvement there). Man, those RFT are HEAVY, therefore I am saving unsprung weight as well even when compared to wider non-RFT. Anyway, gotta go, more running in to do and I will let you know re understeer/oversteer! :grin:

Surprisingly, increased width not noticeable from the side...
Before 225/40R18 ________________________ After 245/35R18

From the rear... :thumbs:
Goodyear NCT5

Conti SportContact 2

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#37 ·
Hi All,

I have now ordered 4 x 225/40 R18 Michelin PS2s for my 130iM. They should be with me this weekend however I wont be getting them fitted till a week Friday.

So it's lots of fast starts and general shredding of the rear tyres over the next week or so - I have to get my monies worth after all!!!!!

Will post back a mini-review once fitted.

Cheers,

#40 ·
130girl, yeah, they do last those RFT so it WILL take a while to replace all 4. What I thought was, if I waited, what happens if I get a flat in the meantime and need to replace only one, then it will become a vicious circle, won't it? No matter what you do then, it will still have to be RFT... hence the route I took. Now I have 4 RFTs still in pretty good nick and at least now, I have a few options for disposal. (package them with the 18" to sell, spares for other RFT 1er... etc)

My thoughts are, if you are gonna do it, do it as soon as you can cos it will make you love your 1er even more if that is at all possible! :grin: I am taking the long way to the supermarkets again...

#43 ·
Oooo, it's got darkline rear lights. I knew they gave an extra 5bhp !!

#44 ·
:woohoo:
back to my 225 with 255 plan! Thanks for that vasilis. :thumbs:

Iwant1, thanks for the advice and write up. I think I wrote this somewhere else, in principle I hate replacing big things when they work OK. While I am sure the non RFTs are better, the RFTs do the job so if you have cash to burn on mods, that's cool but I'd prefer to get my money's worth out of what already works adequately. When my RFTs have worn out, I'll be seriously considering those non RFT 255s!
In the meantime, enjoy your even sweeeeeeeter ride. :drive:

#45 ·
vasilis said:
For those who are looking to put a 255/35/18 tire to 8x18 rim
Some rim manufacturers have already approved this rim/tire combination
vasilis :cry: :cry: :cry: it's too late for me :cry: :cry: :cry: . To be honest, the side photos I took of the 245 on the 8x18 didn't look too big for it at all. It can take 255 for sure.

130girl fair enough. I do follow "If it ain't broken, don't fit it". However, my only beef of the 130i M is the poor ride over bumps and my biggest wish since buying the 1er is to put wider tyres and bigger rims. I guess the poor ride gave me an excuse and I can only justify wider tyres at this point. You will just have to run those RFT in! :wink:

#47 ·
Hi All,

Got my non-RFT PS2s yesterday. Should be getting them fitted on Friday. Will report back soon...

Cheers,

#50 ·
Ok, so, you're saying that is no prob at all to put 255/35 on the 18" X 8 208M if this is true, I'll change them right away, cause I have my winter tires 225/40-18 all arround, and I noticed the car goes better that with RF, and my RF were 300 km when I sold them, so....... 255/35-18 it is!!!!!!!!!! :D

BUT!, will this be ok in a 120d???? and I have 20 mm separators on the rear right now, and a little rub in the inside arch, and some Eibach Sportline 50/35 comming.... will this work???? separators out I think? Problems with the arch wirh the new springs????

#51 ·
Driftgod said:
Got the new tyres on yet ghibbet? if so, where did you get them from, and how much did you pay?
Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of response since getting my new tyres fitted - bit busy at this end. Anyways, on Friday I went to get my new 4 x 225/40 R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 2s fitted. There is good news, different news and bad news.

Bad news:
The absolute fecker who fitted the tyres scratched every rim taking the old RFTs off. With all the crap they put on the rims/tyres to help release the tyre from the rim, any scratches were hidden under a layer of gunk. However when I got home and cleaned the wheels, I found them. :censored2: They're not too bad, but I still notice them. So that'll be a 4x wheel re-furb needed then... :banghead:

Different news:
The new tyres have certainly made the steering lighter. Also, with the lack of sidewall strengthening, initial turn in has lost is go-kart like instant response. But the feel is still very much there - just a little more discreet. Much like my old E30 325i. :thumbs:

Good news:
Err....the ride!! I was as skeptical as a very skeptical person called Mr S. Keptical, but there is a difference. And it's BIG!!!!! Reversing off of my driveway, the path drops down to the road with a very small kerbed drop (~1cm). Before you could feel the wheel drop down like a lead weight. Now it is just a mere patter. So all things so good so far.
Next step was to drive the route to work and back as I know these roads intimately :gossip: :yummy: . NO! not like that :nono:

Was there a difference? Flippin' 'eck! Either they had, just prior to my driving down them, re-surfaced the road but made it look like it hadn't been re-surfaced, or bumps that used to be there are now no longer felt by the driver as the suspension is doing what it's meant too! The difference can be felt everywhere.

I could carry on with superlatives etc etc, but I will leave it with this: "I will NEVER put run-flats back on my 130iM* as it now feels like a new (better riding) car and and re-invigorated my love for it :)whip:)

Cheers,

*Well, when I sell the 130iM then I have the old RFTs to put back on. Will have to pre-book an osteopath for that day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.