Baby BMW Forum banner

Adding Apple Carplay to a 2018 m140i

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  esbowman 
#1 ·
I've spoken to the guy that runs this service/site, and he's mentioned that all I need to add Apple Carplay is to buy an Enet adapter, and purchase this:
This seems far cheaper than other remote coding services I've seen online, but I'm curious if anyone here has used this and whether or not they've had issues. I haven't received the car yet (hopefully friday) but that's one of the first things I'm planning to mod on the car. Just want to check with other owner's before taking the plunge.

Any advice?

#2 ·
Not done it this way. I went to defined coding (I have 2016 m140i) so need firmware update and then fullscreen carplay. £160

#3 ·
I already had an enet adaptor and I purchased the cheapest full screen CarPlay activation I found on eBay for £24 and it works perfectly. 2 months constant use and no issues.

Note there are a couple of caveats,

You must have pro nav and a wifi antenna.

Seen reports of people saying that BMW software updates can go wrong and disable I drive functions like Nav if attempted with 3rd party CarPlay installed. I plan on never having mine updated but if I was in the position I had to, I'd uninstall CarPlay (software makes a backup).

BimmerCode detects the I drive change and refuses to make any coding changes to the idrive. The rest of the modules can be coded as normal though.

Getting it from BMW for £400 or whatever is the safest, warranty friendly way. I chose the riskier cheapest way and so far so good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.