Baby BMW Forum banner

Engine oil preference

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Jambo87 
#1 ·
For a 2017 pre ppf m140i, what oil type is best for the engine. Is the most common 0w30? And if so what brand would you recommend?

#2 ·
This has been answered so many times, but saying as you are a Jock......

Any known brand oil labelled LL04 approved will be fine, 0w30 or 5w30 is fine. Winter temperatures are usually not low enough to worry about the 0w or5w argument, but 0w is (arguably) a better option if you live where you see double digit minus temps on cold morning startups.

I would avoid cheap 'alternative' brands where you cannot necessarily trust what is written on the tub. As an example Kerax has been reported to Trading Standards for repeatedly not meeting some MB specifications claimed. I would extend that concern to Supermarket 'own label' oils; they don't make it themselves and can offload any claim for false advertising onto the supplier.

Buying Castrol, Total, Petronas, etc (from a reputed seller to ensure it is not counterfeit) is the sensible thing to do. And having a pre PPF car you have even less worries.

#3 ·
As above, it's probably the most heavily debated subject on motoring forums and not one to get your knickers in a twist over. The fact is, there's no hard evidence to say which is best, you'll get a plethora of different opinions of XYZ is best, but never backed up by facts. Just pick a good premium brand LL04 with a viscosity listed in the manual, personally I'd go for a 0w30 or 5w30. This oil would be my personal preference…

#6 ·
After Castrol lost the bmw ll 04, my choise has been Shell helix ultra professional 5w30 AM-L labeled ll-04. I bui it from a local dealer, not Amazon or something like that.

#8 ·
Would tuning alter the oil requirements as im due for 'stage 2' in coming weeks. Sorry if thats a daft question

#9 ·
A tune won't alter your oil requirements. Just bare in mind with a tune you're stressing everything slightly more so imo the only thing you should do is regular oil changes and being gentle until everything is warm. (True of any car with or without tune of course but arguably more relevant as power increases!)

re castrol losing the ll-04.... it did lose the BMW requirement but that was due to the requirements changing for the newer models. It's a blanket spec so if it's not suitable for a particular 2021 bmw it's "not suitable for any".... even if the oil hasn't changed one bit and you're trying to put it in a 2017 car where the spec all used to align. In other words the castrol is also ok for 135's and 140's despite technically no longer meeting LL-04.

#11 ·
Ll04 dates from 2004 and brought in specifically for cars with DPF. I don't think the B58 was around before Ll04 came about, but yes it may have been OK to use Ll01 as early B58 came without PPF. But Ll01 is still an old standard.

#12 ·
Jambo87 said:
Would tuning alter the oil requirements as im due for 'stage 2' in coming weeks. Sorry if thats a daft question
I emailed Millers a while back asking which of their oils was best for the B58 as they have many LL04 oils, and it's all a bit confusing. The oil they recommended is in the link below which is their most premium, I asked if this changed if the car was remapped and they simply said the same oil but 5W40 viscosity.

#13 ·
stevesurrey said:
Ll04 dates from 2004 and brought in specifically for cars with DPF. I don't think the B58 was around before Ll04 came about, but yes it may have been OK to use Ll01 as early B58 came without PPF. But Ll01 is still an old standard.
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense, LL04…2004…

I knew it was about emissions, I thought it came in when they started fitting PPF to the euro spec petrol models but it looks like it was much earlier than that. Definitely no b58s in 04. I'm a bit behind being in Australia. We don't require ppf's and so bmw (thankfully) never fitted them to 140's. You could buy one in mid 2019 without ppf.

#14 ·
racey1979 said:
Jambo87 said:
I emailed Millers a while back asking which of their oils was best for the B58 as they have many LL04 oils, and it's all a bit confusing. The oil they recommended is in the link below which is their most premium, I asked if this changed if the car was remapped and they simply said the same oil but 5W40 viscosity.

Thanks for that racey much appreciated

#17 ·
Unless you're tracking, it won't make any noticeable difference. As long as it's a good quality oil to BMW spec you'll be fine. We don't have enough swings in temp in this country being an island for it to matter. On the continent where we go from -15deg C winters to +35 degC summers it's more of an issue.

#18 ·
racey1979 said:
Jambo87 said:

Spoke to millers last week racey just to check which one as there's a few 5 40 to choose from and I've ended up with millers ee c3 nano drive (product code 7806). Obviously explained that car is tuned etc and this is the one they recommended. Just for future reference if anyone is queering

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.