M140i Adaptive LED Headlights - Driving in EU/ on the Right

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

JCM140

M140i Adaptive LED Headlights - Driving in EU/ on the Right

Post by JCM140 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am

Seeing as it's time for the annual trip to LM24 this week, and I've only had my M140i for a few weeks, I haven't had much chance to experiment with the headlight settings.

Is there an option within iDrive to change the LED light settings to avoid blinding the opposite carriageway? Or does it auto-detect based on sat nav? Though the lights have the Matrix function (so the dealer told me, yet to try it), I wouldn't want to rely on it!

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: M140i Adaptive LED Headlights - Driving in EU/ on the Right

Post by Jahjaman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm

The M140i definitely does not have the matrix function. Dealer has no idea lol.

It can only dip the high beams - it cannot selectively block out sections or aim to avoid blinding oncoming cars.
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

beemer5711
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by beemer5711 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Pretty sure it's a flat beam, just turn to 'headlights on' as apposed to auto as that will turn off the adaptive.
Current:
Black F21 M140i Manual
VW B6 Passat Highline

Gone:
VW MK5 Golf GTI
BMW 135i N54
VW MK5 Polo GTI 20v
Ford Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stegosaurus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:45 pm

As above, turning the headlights on manually will give a flat beam pattern.
Personally though, I left them in 'auto' for a trip to the Ring recently, and never had any issues.
Message me if you want your car photoshopped :)
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'

JCM140

Post by JCM140 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks for the responses all. Yeah it quickly became apparent that the dealer didn't know his M140i/M240i when he didn't realise the car had MPE and MP Spoiler on handover!

MyMlight
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MyMlight » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 pm

My M135i was advertised by BMW Approved Used as having ‘LED matrix headlights’. What it has is adaptive and high beam assist, no matrix malarkey here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob_65
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rob_65 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 pm

MyMlight wrote:My M135i was advertised by BMW Approved Used as having ‘LED matrix headlights’. What it has is adaptive and high beam assist, no matrix malarkey here!

It’s a mis-sold option on the 1 series!

MyMlight
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MyMlight » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 pm

rob_65 wrote:
MyMlight wrote:My M135i was advertised by BMW Approved Used as having ‘LED matrix headlights’. What it has is adaptive and high beam assist, no matrix malarkey here!

And it was the ONLY reason I bought the car... no really... 🤪

jb182

Post by jb182 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm

MyMlight wrote:
rob_65 wrote:

And it was the ONLY reason I bought the car... no really... 🤪

Funny as I bought mine exactly for the adaptive high beam function which at the tine advertised the dynamic distribution of the beam.

Try claiming against them for mis advertising of the headlights. I’ve just done it myself by threatening to report the incorrect advertising to the ASA, after a few comments I was told to throw at them by a legal rep they coughed up a cheque for the cost of adaptive headlights (minus the £100 or so pounds for HBA which does work as advertise) as they know they are in the wrong and don’t have a leg to stand on in court.

This is the mid represented advertising https://youtu.be/4v19IgSGr28
Make sure you screenshot the functions of the “adaptive beam distribution” and save a copy of the video should they suddenly delete it for evidence. They’ve already been told to remove it for breaching advertising standards but it’s still there, certainly worth ago if your up for it and have a few spare hours :-)

rob_65
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rob_65 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 am

This will be a good next step should I not receive a satisfactory response.

What’s more irritating is that if the speed-limit recognition option is also selected, the car does appear to have the necessary hardware to perform the matrix functions...

This would be the ultimate retrofit!

On a slightly separate note I have lodged similar complaint about the folding mirrors with dipping functionality limited to drivers door only which is also not advertised.

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:13 am

rob_65 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 am
This will be a good next step should I not receive a satisfactory response.

What’s more irritating is that if the speed-limit recognition option is also selected, the car does appear to have the necessary hardware to perform the matrix functions...

On a slightly separate note I have lodged similar complaint about the folding mirrors with dipping functionality limited to drivers door only which is also not advertised.
While you're at it, you could file a complaint about the passenger mirror not being anti-dazzle....
F22 M240i 8AT

jb182

Post by jb182 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:18 pm

rob_65 wrote:This will be a good next step should I not receive a satisfactory response.

Got the speed limit info on mine and makes zero difference unfortunately :-(

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Surprised that this thread has gotten this far.

1. The car does not have the necessary hardware for beam splitting

2. The YouTube video is not false or misrepresenting any technology. It's not even counted as advertising! You won't get anywhere with legal action if you intended to rely on a YouTube video, even if it's from BMW UK. There is also nothing in there that states that the technology is the same across all BMW models.

3. If you had done even a smidget of research, you would have realised that the "adaptive LED" in the 1 series is pretty sh*t. It has 1 pair of low beam bulbs illuminating the road. Whereas the 3/4/5/6 series etc all have 2 pairs of low beam bulbs. Hence why everyone says the LEDs are not as bright as the previous xenon lights.
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

rob_65
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rob_65 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Jahjaman wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 pm
Surprised that this thread has gotten this far.

1. The car does not have the necessary hardware for beam splitting

2. The YouTube video is not false or misrepresenting any technology. It's not even counted as advertising! You won't get anywhere with legal action if you intended to rely on a YouTube video, even if it's from BMW UK. There is also nothing in there that states that the technology is the same across all BMW models.

3. If you had done even a smidget of research, you would have realised that the "adaptive LED" in the 1 series is pretty sh*t. It has 1 pair of low beam bulbs illuminating the road. Whereas the 3/4/5/6 series etc all have 2 pairs of low beam bulbs. Hence why everyone says the LEDs are not as bright as the previous xenon lights.
Thanks for your input and good to know the hardware isn't actually the same.

While generally happy with the car I must say I'm still disappointed with the marketing vs the reality on this particular option.

It sounds like a complaint has already been progressed with BMW with a satisfactory outcome - I will certainly continue with my complaint.

rskadk

Post by rskadk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:28 am

Any chance that the option will be available on the 1 series? Im about the order one. And by reading this thread i see no reason to pay for the "adaptive led headlights"... It will make almost no difference compared to stock LED lights?

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”