Baby BMW Forum banner

M140i brake fluid upgrade

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Blind Pugh 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading the front and rear pads possibly to the M4 pads and was also looking at upgrading the brake fluid does anyone have any recommendations, mainly for fast road with the occasional track day.

#2 ·
I was in the same position as you and went with Ate type 200, others recommend Motul rbf600 but it was a decent amount more expensive. I can say though, Ate type 200 and M4 pads all round was a very good upgrade for the money and I've yet to experience fade after a few trackdays.

#11 ·
Blind Pugh said:
OP

Castrol SRF is more expensive but has higher wet boiling point than most, if not all, Bona Fife racing brake fluid (RBF)

A very good Fit and forget RBF for dual duty DD and TD toy….

BP
I used to use SRF back in the day, but it was so hygroscopic it needed changing once a year regardless of use. Is that still the case?
I've never managed to boil Motul RBF600.

#12 ·
Quick question. Just finished bedding in new discs and ATE Pads.

Would upgraded brake fluid make any difference to arias car? As in. Where is the difference seen?

Is it just when pushing on and using brakes a lot or even in normal driving? Even when brakes haven't been used for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
From what I can gather, for the ABS/DSC systems to function correctly, BMW recommends using low viscosity brake fluid. ATE SL6 for example. For general road use anyhow.

#14 ·
godzilla said:
Blind Pugh said:
OP

Castrol SRF is more expensive but has higher wet boiling point than most, if not all, Bona Fife racing brake fluid (RBF)

A very good Fit and forget RBF for dual duty DD and TD toy….

BP
I used to use SRF back in the day, but it was so hygroscopic it needed changing once a year regardless of use. Is that still the case?
I've never managed to boil Motul RBF600.
RBF 600 and SRF may have similar dry boiling point but SRF wet boiling point is much higher so more consistent and more resilient as water absorption %age creeps up. Slightly lower viscosity of SRF is more beneficial for ABS/DSC pumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.