Baby BMW Forum banner

Member ban & warnings.

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  babybmwadmin 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone know why some people get warned while others get banned for lesser stuff?

Like the rules are vague, does it just depend on how someone feels that day or is there method to the madness?..

How times have changed really, I recall a fairly heated debate or two I was involved with. Things were said from both parties that were probably deemed way too far by most but nothing came of it not even intervention by a mod or admin. Were our insults too polite?
I can't make sense of it. Maybe I'm not meant to but what has this forum become. Like I read a lot of info on here before I joined a few years ago. People now are just either melting with any criticism or exploding with abuse because they know best.
I'm maybe more observant than most, it's in my nature to look out and not in. Just curious as to how it all works... bit random I know.

If its against any rules. Feel free to delete this post.

Edited to add: hypocritical perhaps...

#3 ·
I don't think anything's changed over the past 5 years or so that I've been a member. Mods do this in their spare time and the mods here certainly seems to have jobs and lives offline so its understandable that stuff slips past unreported.

I like this forum, I'm active on very few these days because most of them are run by cliques or overrun by trolls but I honestly think this is one of the best balanced around. There's a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members herr and debates are generally allowed until they start get repetitive and personal.

#5 ·
Ooh have I missed something?

Not a mod here obv, but I do mod a few other communities. A few points to consider:

• There is usually a lot more information available to mods/admins than normal users. You might notice a thread getting locked/comment deleted once or twice; the enforcement log might show that a user has attracted attention 5 times, and has ignored 3 seperate warnings over PM.
  • As has been mentioned, mods are usually reactive not proactive. Nobody can read everything, and some people have a lower tolerance for the report button than others. The most prolific users of the block/report button are often the most prolific bad actors too, not that they'd ever admit that.
  • Trying to reason with someone who's out to be unreasonable is pointless. Eventually you start to recognise the signs of a troll out to cause grief or a bullsh*tter plying their trade. It's much easier to just move these people on, engaging with them never works, the old wrestling a pig idiom applies.
  • Last but definitely not least, conflict drives away new members. Some repeat offenders simply need to be shown the door lest you end up like Pistonheads - in a death spiral because nobody wants to read the same 15 page heated argument about premium fuel again.

For what it's worth, I think this forum is very well handled. I've only seen people step in when it's gotten properly out of line, and then only seen threads get locked to let people cool off. No bans etc., just a "sit down, shut up". That's despite there being one or two who definitely fall within the third point above.

#7 ·
I've not noticed any change in the forum since joining, still a good place to be bar a few trolls.

I think it's clear, if the rules are broken you will get a ban. Heated debate and banter is fine, calling people names isn't.

Same as in real life really.

#8 ·
G90 said:
Does anyone know why some people get warned while others get banned for lesser stuff?
So who's been banned recently then?

And how does anyone know if someone else has had a warning?

--

G
#9 ·
50pence said:
So who's been banned recently then?

And how does anyone know if someone else has had a warning?

--
Two members at least. One of which perhaps needed it if they'd been warned and one of which didn't imo. But that's life... I was just curious as to how decisions were made and why a month seemed appropriate when I've seen far worse get away unchecked by people and the report button. I couldn't understand that.

Through communication I suppose. Some talk away from here.

#10 ·
This place seems pretty good to be fair. There are a few who come across as hard work but it may just be writing styles etc. I've had sone really good help from people on here like the chap who pointed me in the right directly for power for a double din unit.

It's nothing like other forums where some act like absolute tools (certain subsections of Pistonheads is really bad, whereas others are really good).

#11 ·
Ok, I guess I have to say something here due to some people making snidey references.

Having been a babybmw member for 8 years, it will always have a special place in my heart. It saved my life. No, seriously, it saved my life. It's been my saviour and my family. And for that I shall always be grateful. I don't even own a babybmw anymore and I'm still here. And there's lots of us that don't own one but still come here. I'm actually (believe it or not) a far quieter person than I used to be on here.

I think, if you become a long term frequent user of this forum, and you contribute not only knowledge and advice, but add some character and jokes and gentle jabs, but can also be self effacing and also empathetic (G90 springs to mind recently). If you go above and beyond trying to help people or offer your services freely. Make all new members feel welcome. Praise people. Include people. Listen to people. Then you naturally gain respect and make friends here. Lots of friends. Some even life long friends (you know who you all are [emoji3526])

Do long term members get preferential treatment? I think maybe some of us do. But I think we've earned it. The powers that be, they know us, they know our strengths and weaknesses. They may even like us and laughed at some of our posts. We've had some brilliant threads on here (usually involving me getting abused in some way). There have also been some great debates and jousting. I even started my own poll to get rid of me a few years ago - it was 2 choices stay or go. Ha, well that nearly back fired!!! It was close [emoji1787].

Should I have had more warnings? Almost certainly.

Should I have been banned a few times? Probably.

Why am I still here? Because I have given assurances to admin that I'll be good. I also have a great friend and member on here (@golfer) who has taught me the ways of the force and to think before writing - thank you Yoda [emoji1787]

But I'm still here, because all in all, I'm genuine, i show respect when it's earned, I can look myself in the mirror and know that I'm a good person. I'm a loyal friend. I'll defend and stand by those friends no matter what. Maybe admin and it's moderators have the same human values……I guess they do.

#12 ·
Well I like you Twenny. :)

#16 ·
Yep, agreed Twenny. Great Post. You'll have to be a careful all these people agreeing with you - quick! Restore the balance! :lol2:

#18 ·
Twenny said:
Why am I still here? Because I have given assurances to admin that I'll be good. I also have a great friend and member on here (@golfer) who has taught me the ways of the force and to think before writing - thank you Yoda [emoji1787]
"Always two there are, no more, no less. A Master and an Apprentice"
:D

#20 ·
golfer said:
Twenny said:
"Always two there are, no more, no less. A Master and an Apprentice"
:D

#22 ·
I've been a member for a really long time, don't own a babyBMW anymore (E90) but this is still the only forum that I use regularly.

Most people are sound, there's one or two that are antagonists in almost every post but I just don't engage with them.

I've learnt loads on here and people that give the time and patience to walk me through DIY stuff will forever have my respect and gratitude.

Here's to another 10 years! [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
So tempted to lock this just to p*ss everyone off 🤣

Let me state some points.
Running a forum and being just a member are completely different things.
If all hell breaks loose because some forum members act like tw@ts and it descends into chaos, then it doesn't paint a pretty picture to potential new members or future sponsors.
All it takes is for one stupid comment by someone to kick it all off. If we step in, people complain. If we don't step in, people will think the forum is badly handled.
We can't really win.
If people don't like the way the forum is run, leave. No one is keeping you here.
Don't get involved in flame wars.
Best advice, just ignore someone and don't respond to their posts.
There are people out there who go out of their way to annoy others.
When bans occur, it generally sends the right message to the individual. If they come back and start it all up again. Well we know where that leads to.
Plan on joining again under a different username? Don't fear, we'll find out and ban you again.
Respond to the messages the same way you would respond to a stranger over a conversation. If your reply is cruel, demeaning etc and you would still be happy to say that to a stranger, maybe you aren't someone the forum wants.
At the end of the day, we are grown up individuals driving a car we enjoy. Act like a grown up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.