Baby BMW Forum banner

brakes: car pulls to the right when braking

616 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  hektortnt 
#1 ·
Hi,
this is such a great forum, and I learned alot about BMW in general since I bought my first BWM (F20 118d) few months ago. Overall F20 is very nice ride, much better than other cars in its class. All that is kind of ruined with a nasty problem I have with my brakes, namely, my car just pull to the right when braking.
While measuring brake force it only shows 17% difference between left and right side and its quite noticeable. If I brake at low speeds its not that bad but once you go north of 50mph or 80km/h it became unstable, in the sense that car starts to behave wobbly (since abs is compensating).
How does it feel when hard braking? Well, it pulls to the right and then then car has that small pull to the left (I guess that abs is trying to straighten it up). Naturally, if I don't hold steering wheel firmly I would end up in a ditch. It just pulls to the right.
Now comes the interesting part. Upon checking all the standard stuff, calipers and other mechanical parts, it turns out that every single mechanical component is nice and firm, ie. not a single loose component on any wheel and we did check wheel alignment wich, suprise, also turn out to be good.
Also, we did change brake oil and braking was returned to "normal" more or less but after few hard braking it started to pull again. Also, when we disconnected a oil line from the caliper, we noticed that oil is not leaking the same on the right wheel as it does on the left ( left line had less leaking from the ABS than the right). What might cause this is beyond me, and perhaps someone could chime in for that one. My mechanic, and I asked for second opinion, ruled out main cylinder as a probable cause for few reasons.
On the computer part of the problem, there is no ABS light turning on, no traction control turning, no ABS or related errors stored in the ECU or whatever its called nowadays.
For now, we have only two teories: one that I have faulty ABS pump (even dough there is no errors shown it might be because the part that suppouse to send error signal is dead) or it might be some sensor going half bad and ECU is not picking any fault.
Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice you come up with :D

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.