Baby BMW Forum banner

Tyre pressure lost - tyre seating?

582 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Trewithy 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd post an experience with losing tyre pressure, one that I'm sure may cause the experts here to roll their eyes here but might be of some benefit to others.

I have 19 inch wheels that I swap off every winter and swap on every spring. Towards the beginning of winter, I had a front tyre that wouldn't hold it's pressure beyond 2-3 days. I couldn't see any sign of puncture, but not long before I had hit a ruddy great big pothole whilst moving around a trading estate at 15 mph. I was concerned that the wheel had been knocked out of shape though couldn't really tell. Anyway, I swapped the wheels off for the 18 inch standards.

Probably not wanting to deal with the fact that I might need a replacement 19 inch, I've been slow in putting the 19 inchers back on but did so a couple of weeks ago. The problematic front tyre was a little more deflated than when I had taken it off in an already under pressurised state. I pumped it up but fully expected to have to visit the garage within a few days to receive unpleasant news.

That was two weeks ago, and the pressure hasn't changed!

So I'm assuming that the pothole merely disturbed the tyre seating and that in its the manhandling on and off and re-pressurisation it sorted itself. As I say I assume this - can't think of any other explanation?

See less See more
#5 ·
Use some soapy water around the valve - not the cap - but the stem where it meets the wheel, I have had mine leak slowly there and got it replaced just the other day - pressures seem stable now

#6 ·
maverick83 said:
Use some soapy water around the valve - not the cap - but the stem where it meets the wheel, I have had mine leak slowly there and got it replaced just the other day - pressures seem stable now
I have had the same. In my case it was corrosion on the wheel where the stem goes through. Answer is refurbishing the wheel or a new wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.