Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Issue after having new rear tyres

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:23 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm
OneTwenty wrote:Regardless of how many miles you do, why do people scrimp on tyres!!!! They're the only thing between you and the road.

The only excuse ever is if you're PXing the car within days and it needs tyres but other than that go premium. Nangkangs are awful as is Nexxen etc etc
Whoah, hold on just a minute. Nankang AR-1 are considered the best track tyre on the market right now, bar none. They aren’t a cheap unknown, however like all tyre companies, they have a range at different price levels. I suspect we aren’t talking AR-1, NS-2, or NS-2R here, but something lower in the range.

OP, which model Nankang please?

To answer your question on swapping fronts to same. No, don’t do it. It doesn’t sound like the tyres are compatible with the car. Get rid of the new rears and fit the same as front or better. Yokohama budget range are also dog poo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I stand corrected, I thought they were all Korean dog poo.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

maverick83
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by maverick83 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Its a High Powered RWD car - it needs Sports Tires

Any entry level tire will be bad news...

Lets think about stopping distance for a second, premium tires are known for their shorter stopping distance. The reason I say stopping distance is because you could argue that you don’t use the car in a sporty fashion requiring heavy cornering on your daily short distance commute, and therefore the eco fuel saving nonsense tires will be just fine for your need, but you may encounter a need for an emergency stop at any time...

If you can manage to stop 1 metre - or even 10cm - short of a pedestrian or cyclist or object without hitting it - you have just paid for the additional costs of fitting Premium tires by avoiding insurance increases, cost of repair, damages etc...

Its a no-brainer for me, I knowingly bought a sports car that requires premium tires as standard and I make sure I budget for those when the time comes.

Rather be safe than sorry - take off the non-compatible tires and fit the same as the fronts.

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Kylestylelcfc wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:52 pm
On the rears we now have Nankang tyres and on the front Yokohama.

Front 225/40/18
Rear 245/35/18

Would anything there be causing an issue? What tyre pressure should the tyres be set to? I will double check what they are if someone could advise what they should be.

Thanks for the replies so far.
There are two issues here.
Different characters of tyre fitted front and rear (like changing front or rear suspension whilst leaving the other as was). Just not a great idea on any car and a bad idea on a reasonably high performance car.

Low quality tyres - which as the other replies have suggested just seems a real false economy at any time. However, quality is more than price and brand. There are some really top quality high performance lesser brands out there. Some of Nankang's stuff falls into that category, some of their stuff is better fitted to a tractor. So it all depends what particular model of Nankang we are talking about.

So taking the two together, the answer depends on what quality of tyres you now have front and rear (again Yokos vary from great to poor) and whether it is better to match up to the best pair you have ..... or start again and fit 4 tried and tested approved tyres for this car. You can always sell tyres second hand so I know what I would go for -- 4 x MPSS or 4 x MPS4 or 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 AS5
Current: MG 2015 M135i - Auto - ProNav - HK - Adaptive - PDC (f + r) - MP LSD
Previous: Golf Gti vi, BMW e9x 330i touring, BMW e90 325D (+ map)

fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fez_7 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm

On a side note, what are people's thoughts on the Michelin CrossClimate's? A safe option and good all rounder all year round?
2013 F20 116D EfficientDynamics
2012 F30 320D EfficientDynamics

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 pm

fez_7 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm
On a side note, what are people's thoughts on the Michelin CrossClimate's? A safe option and good all rounder all year round?
They're a summer compound with a winter 'paddle' tread pattern. They'll melt pretty quickly with enthusiastic dry braking, but probably acceptable if you're pottering around normally.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Tiffster

Post by Tiffster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Why in the world would you fit budgets on the back end of an M135 :?

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:58 am

Tiffster wrote:Why in the world would you fit budgets on the back end of an M135 :?
Do yourself a favour (learning about how some people roll), go to a school around drop off time, and look at the state/ condition/brands of tyres used on the parked school mum’s cars.

It becomes clear that “fit the cheapest” is a reasonably common instruction to tyre fitters. After all, they are only black rubber rings, right?

I saw a newish Mercedes E350 with something like Barum’s on the back. They looked too narrow too. I bet school mum knows no difference in the handling.

M240i Auto

maverick83
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by maverick83 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:40 am

Its the fitting garage’s duty to inform drivers of what tyres their vehicles need - they are the experts not the driver.

Many things could affect the decision at the point in time when you have to replace a tyre or tyres.

I took my excellently maintained M135i for its MOT in June, a couple of weeks before that I had all 4 wheels off the car because of a detail and sealant on the inside if the wheel arches and cleaning of the wheels. I checked each tyre fully aware that it was going in for an MOT and that all needs to be ok - there was no concerns.

A day before going to my MOT - I ran over an exposed manhole cover and that damaged the inside of the tyre without noticing - it FAILED its MOT due to the damage and I was forced to replace that tire before I could drive on the road...

The garage said to me exactly what tires I need - and I argued about the price £167 for one MPSS is absurd - they VERY quickly suggested a cheap tyre in order to pass the MOT - which I kindly declined, sourced a tyre elsewhere at a better price (£100) and replaced with exactly what I needed.

Long story short - if I didn’t know better, just to let my car pass its MOT and going with the advise from the tyre fitment centre, I would have had 3 MPSS’s and one Ningnong FongKong tyre, and would most definitely have experienced similar issues to the OP...

Np01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Np01 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:11 am

Where did you get MPSS”s for £100 ?
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, MHD stage 1, carbon mirrors, MPE, full carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS, Forge Motorsport Charge Pipe, Rieger rear diffuser. Bilstein B14s.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am

maverick83 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:40 am
Its the fitting garage’s duty to inform drivers of what tyres their vehicles need - they are the experts not the driver.
maverick83 wrote:
they VERY quickly suggested a cheap tyre in order to pass the MOT
So people should rely on the garage, who'll suggest a non-matching cheapo? Great advice.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

maverick83
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Issue after having new rear tyres

Post by maverick83 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17 pm

marco_polo wrote:
maverick83 wrote:
maverick83 wrote:
they VERY quickly suggested a cheap tyre in order to pass the MOT
So people should rely on the garage, who'll suggest a non-matching cheapo? Great advice.
Not what I am saying at all!

A reputable garage will advise AGAINST fitting non-matching cheapo’s

For the uninformed - there is no alternative but to go with what the garage recommend... its the garage’s responsibility to give correct advice, they are the experts after all...

Ps: talking about places like KwikFit etc here - their business is tyres. Luckily forums like these exist where people can go to for advice.

If the incorrect tyres were fitted by the garage on their advice - I’d go back and demand it to be changed

maverick83
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by maverick83 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Np01 wrote:Where did you get MPSS”s for £100 ?
Costco

Np01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Np01 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:56 pm

maverick83 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm
Np01 wrote:Where did you get MPSS”s for £100 ?
Costco
Nice one, I didn’t even realise they were around, one in Southampton £100 a tyre and free fitting if buying 2, 92ys as well
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, MHD stage 1, carbon mirrors, MPE, full carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS, Forge Motorsport Charge Pipe, Rieger rear diffuser. Bilstein B14s.

120D-X

Post by 120D-X » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 am

Fit 4 new BMW spec tyres.

Sell the used ones.

Don't cheapskate!

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:55 am

NISFAN wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:58 am
Tiffster wrote:Why in the world would you fit budgets on the back end of an M135 :?
Do yourself a favour (learning about how some people roll), go to a school around drop off time, and look at the state/ condition/brands of tyres used on the parked school mum’s cars.

It becomes clear that “fit the cheapest” is a reasonably common instruction to tyre fitters. After all, they are only black rubber rings, right?

I saw a newish Mercedes E350 with something like Barum’s on the back. They looked too narrow too. I bet school mum knows no difference in the handling.

Agreed. Keep an eye out for the winter / summer tyre mix too. I must be bored but in traffic it's easy to spot the winter blocky tread on an odd winter tyre. I guess back street tyre places buy up winter stock cheap and fit in summer to those who want one cheap or pair to get that special handling mid corner etc... :(
M140i, Mineral Grey

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”