Baby BMW Forum banner

M240i Wider Wheels

24K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  snoboarder77 
#1 ·
Guys

has anyone tried putting something wider on the rear? can is kind of grippy but i still get occasional wheel spin in 2nd 3rd...i got standard 245 in the rear (18") thing is im thinking of getting stage one and i can only imagine this will be 10 times worse...so thought maybe 265 from M2? something wider to rectify that? whats the widest i can go ? what implications from doing so?

#2 ·
245mm is the widest you can fit on the skinny standard rear alloys.

Fit much wider wheels and you can fit much wider tyres. The M2 stuff won't fit though, they're all designed for the wide body arches.

For a 265mm rear tyre, you'll want wheels 9"+ wide and approximately offset ET50

No major downsides. They'll be expensive obviously, and marginally more prone to aquaplaning, but that's about it.

#5 ·
marco_polo said:
Finding wheels with large offsets which also clear our fat callipers can be a little tricky.

Sooty fitted a nice set of Advan RZ Gunmetal 18x8 ET45 front 18x9 ET50 rear, fitted with 245/35 and 265/35.

That's a nice set-up. Particularly as the tyre walls don't look stretched. Given the front wheels have the OE offset (ET45) but are 0.5" wider, did Sooty run a front spacer for strut clearance?

#11 ·
I really like the look and fit of these CI-R's or the CH-R, I can't find details of the offset but looking on BBS it seems they are 8 x 19 et 45 front and 9 x 19 et 48 rears. The car in this photo has 235 35 19 front and 265 30 19 rear MP4S. Anyone see a problem with this set up? I know Marco said et 50 + on the rears for a 265 tyre, would you get away with et 48 ?

by , on Flickr

#13 ·
marco_polo said:
ET49 is considered safe, so you're only 1mm off. Get them bought. :thumbs:
Thanks MP, reading the forums there seems to be a few running this set up (or similar) over in the states with good reports....especially a big increase in grip and traction from the 265 and 235 tyre combo which also maintains good levels of comfort from the slightly bigger side walls. You lose 8.8% sidewall as opposed to 14.7% on a 245 30 19 over stock 18's.....with the side effect of a 2 % increase in diameter. Only problem is I planned on fitting MPS4 tyres next but seems they are unavailable in those sizes and you have to go for the more expensive MPS4S. Goodyear Eagle F1 A3 are available mind you and come in considerably cheaper so could be an option. Planning on buying around April time, a lot of money so just want to make the right choice :thumbs:

#14 ·
One reservation I'd have with a 235/265 setup is that you might well be further hurting the balance of the car over what already feels front-limited.

I would be shooting for 245+ fronts with 265 rears, in the hope of improving or at least not further damaging the balance.

#15 ·
Matt Scarbro said:
One reservation I'd have with a 235/265 setup is that you might well be further hurting the balance of the car over what already feels front-limited.

I would be shooting for 245+ fronts with 265 rears, in the hope of improving or at least not further damaging the balance.
Point taken :) However the problem I can see then is that you have different diameters. The 265 30 and 235 35 are near identical in diameter. Where as a 245 30 would be half inch smaller and a 245 35 would be half inch larger than the 265 30 rear. Lots of people run a 225 and 255 setup without issue so reckon it'll be similar balance wise ? As mentioned reading the forums people running this setup seem really happy with it....especially the increase in grip. The thing that's always put me off 19s is the sprayed on tyres especially the 245 30 19s on the MP wheels. Judging by the photos there seems to be a nice sizeable chunk of rubber on the 235 265 combo so comfort shouldn't be affected as much.

#17 ·
racey1979 said:
Matt Scarbro said:

Point taken :) However the problem I can see then is that you have different diameters. The 265 30 and 235 35 are near identical in diameter. Where as a 245 30 would be half inch smaller and a 245 35 would be half inch larger than the 265 30 rear. Lots of people run a 225 and 255 setup without issue so reckon it'll be similar balance wise ? As mentioned reading the forums people running this setup seem really happy with it....especially the increase in grip. The thing that's always put me off 19s is the sprayed on tyres especially the 245 30 19s on the MP wheels. Judging by the photos there seems to be a nice sizeable chunk of rubber on the 235 265 combo so comfort shouldn't be affected as much.
Technically it would tip the balance towards more understeer, but it will also have more front end grip being 10mm wider - so any understeer will happen later/at higher G force/higher speeds.

The front isn't suddenly going to suddenly wash out unexpectedly at low speeds, just because you've fitted proportionally wider tyres on the back!

#20 ·
marco_polo said:
toldownhill13 said:
out of interst has anyone tried m4 standard wheels or even m4 comp spec wheels on their M240i, looking at wheel specs it looks like they would struggle to fit under the arches
They poke right out the sides like a rollerskate, not even close.
Plenty of folk with strange enough taste to think it's a good look :lol2:

#22 ·
toldownhill13 said:
looking at Work Emotion Ultimate Kiwami Wheels, was thinking

Front: 18x8.5 ET38 245/35/18
Rear: 18x9.5 ET38 265/40/18

i think they will fit with a tiny bit of poke?
Any objections on fitment ground?
Those rears aren't going to fit, you need around ET50 to squeeze a 265mm on, and you'd need a 35 profile.

4 fronts would be ok.

#24 ·
At ET45 you can get a 255mm tyre on, but they poke out the sides quite a bit:

For a 265mm you need ET50 really. Your ET38 wheels + 265mm tyres would poke out another 12mm, and rub.

Up to you though, it's your car. You might be able to panel beat / flare the rear arches out a bit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.