Baby BMW Forum banner

Amazed at the diference new rubber made

637 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  McTrucky 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was at Rockingham yesterday, and had a pair of still legal but almost on the wear indicators tyres on the back. The plan was to get a final half day out of them and fit new rubber for the afternoon.
Tyres are Yoko AD08R 235r all round by the way.

It was bone dry, warmish, and I thought the well worn tyres would be as grippy, possibly more grippy, than new tyres in these conditions.

Wrong. New tyres in the afternoon stuck like glue. I was amazed at the difference. And that has got me to thinking about the wisdom of eeking every last mile out of tyres on the road or track, thinking that the only time new tyres help is with water displacement.

So why are new tyres more grippy? Compound hardens with repeated heat cycles is my guess. And if so; then this is more relevant for track than road tyres. Any views?

#2 ·
Yup that's what happens, if it'd been wet it would've been an even bigger difference.
Fresh tyres make a huge difference to lap times.
How long did your ad08r last?
How was the shoulder wear?

#3 ·
I'd have to guess on life of the tyres. I rotate the tyres, and have six wheels, so two spares to shuffle and keep wear balanced. And when the shoulder wear gets excessive I get the tyres rotated on the rim, again to extend thier life. At a guess I reckon three trackdays, rotate on rim and another two track days before they are done. Obviously drifting is harder than fast and smooth. Tracks vary is how abrasive they are. Ambiant temperature also comes into it. Etc etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.