1 Mar 08: Northern Romp

The section is to be used for general chat related to cruises/meets that have already taken place

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, spokey

Which day?

Saturday 1 March
63%
Sunday 2 March
38%

Total votes: 8

gmcelroy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by gmcelroy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:47 am

I'm definitely going to be there tomorrow, I've PM'd Spokey to confirm as well.

toon9

Post by toon9 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:15 pm

Enjoy your day guys - be "thinking" of you when I'm suffering in St James Park - AGAIN !
Facelift 118d M-Sport, 5 door, Le Mans Blue, USB Interface, Bluetooth Prep, Comfort Pack c/w Cruise Control, 18" boolers, courtesy glass,
http://www.babybmw.net/garage.php?mode= ... age_id=839

Toonman

Post by Toonman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:22 pm

:offtopic:
Give an extra big cheer from me please. We need all the help we can get at the moment... :( This is the first Season since 1969/70 that I won't see a single Match. Oh well...
120d M Sport Auto 3dr - Sparkling Graphite/Boston Lemon Leather/Luxury,
Comfort Packs/Darkened Glass
Subaru Forester 2.0 DGM Auto

timmel_rimmel
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by timmel_rimmel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:51 pm

I'm a Blackburn fan so I'm hoping our boys get 3 points at St James tomorrow!

toon9

Post by toon9 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:04 am

timmel_rimmel wrote:I'm a Blackburn fan so I'm hoping our boys get 3 points at St James tomorrow!
Don't be greedy now timmel - you'll be enjoying your Saturday as it is.................let's share a draw at least - pleeeaaase ! :wink:
Facelift 118d M-Sport, 5 door, Le Mans Blue, USB Interface, Bluetooth Prep, Comfort Pack c/w Cruise Control, 18" boolers, courtesy glass,
http://www.babybmw.net/garage.php?mode= ... age_id=839

timmel_rimmel
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by timmel_rimmel » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:45 pm

3 points for the Rovers and a thoroughly enjoyable cruise... what a day! Bet you wish you were on the cruise now gents?!

JoHNY
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JoHNY » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:05 pm

Glad you guys enjoyed it, how was the weather? :)
120D M Sport, 955 Daytona & 1200 Sporster

spokey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by spokey » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Friday night was foul. I drove up to Cumbria with some apprehension. However, Saturday morning was dry(ish) and sunny(ish) and (gale force) breezy.

We (tminal, timmel rimmel, gmcelroy, spokey and pickle) met in the car park at Rheged Discovery Centre, where there was a competition to see who could park in the most "BMW" manner possible. It was a four-way tie. :twisted:

We drove up to the Hartside Summit cafe for a cuppa, where the wind was ... brisk.

1ers in the car park

tminal doing a Titanic Kate Winslet (gmcelroy behind him wasn't too keen on reprising Leonardo Di Caprio's role, though)

After sausage baps and coffee had been inhaled, we headed off for Hadrian's Wall, including the first exposure of the 1er posse to some of my famous side road exploration.

Just before the Wall, we got balked by some old duffers in a Honda Jazz. I shot past, but they didn't like the look of timmel rimmel's red beast and nearly stuffed him into a wall!

1ers parked up at Hadrian's Wall after the Jazz incident

We climbed up to the wall and all got soggy socks. :lol:

The 1er posse, windswept and interesting

We then headed off to High Force.

I think they were debating whether it could be used to wash their cars

Very forceful indeed!

I am out of practice, which is why lunch was a complete disaster: the pub I'd earmarked was full and they weren't interested in feeding us, three pubs thereafter were either closed or not serving lunch and when we did eventually find a place we could eat at, we had to change our order three times because they had run out of everything! :oops: I'll do better next time, I promise!

We then drove over to Ravenstone for scones and coffee and said our farewells.

I had a blast, it was great to meet you all, and I hope to see you at more cruises in the future! :thumbs:
Ciao,
Spokey
JoHNY wrote:Tough one. The diesel is IMO more fun to drive but the 130 has 65 more horses. I'd go for the third option, a good fisting from ann widdicombe.

tminal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tminal » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:39 am

Great write up spokey! :thumbs:

I agree about the weather Friday night, visibility was awful, so much so I missed the turning for the Travel lodge at Penrith and at times motorway speed was around 40-50mph it was that bad!

Fantastic day with some awesome roads, it has really opened my eyes as to how well this car handles, which is way beyond my limited driving abilities! :oops: as i did struggle to keep up so kept at a speed that was comfortable to me so thanks for your patience team! :oops:

Very well organised event with clear instructions, safety brief and well appointed stop off points for refreshments, thoroughly enjoyed the day with it being my first ever cruise, excellent.

Never driven that far north before and have to say the scenery was outstanding and at times when the wind dropped and the sun came out it actually felt warm! NOTE TO SELF: maybe I should get out of Solihull more often! :roll:

It was great when we drove through some of the villages and people noticed all four cars were the same and watched us sail by, the looks were priceless! :D even a tractor driver had to do a double take, and the rather attractive looking blonde!! :D

Thanks again spokey, timmel rimmel, gmcelroy, pickle! :thumbs:

Tony
Mercedes C220 Sport - Tenorite Grey
Gone....
Citroen DS4 115Hdi DStyle - Polar White
Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.6JDTm Distinctive - Etna Black
BMW 118i SE 3 door - Alpine White
BMW 116i SE 5 door - Black

mrash
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by mrash » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:37 am

maybe I should get out of Solihull more often!
:lol: glad it was a good day, i wish i could have come actually, but didnt "land" until friday night...
please take time to just ask someone how they are. Kindness costs nothing, but means everything.

JoHNY
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JoHNY » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Great photos Spokey, you all seem to be very ugly though. :lol:

Looks like you all had a great time and i will definitely come on the next one. :)
120D M Sport, 955 Daytona & 1200 Sporster

spokey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by spokey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:29 pm

JoHNY wrote:Great photos Spokey, you all seem to be very ugly though. :lol:
You'll notice I carefully didn't put any photos of me up. And I won't tell my daughter you said that! :twisted:
Ciao,
Spokey
JoHNY wrote:Tough one. The diesel is IMO more fun to drive but the 130 has 65 more horses. I'd go for the third option, a good fisting from ann widdicombe.

scully2763

Post by scully2763 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Looks like you all had a great time! I'd love to come on the next one, could it be organised for the start and finish points to be a bit closer to Leeds (for purely selfish reasons of course!)
2007 57 3-Door 118d M sport in Le Mans Blue with 18" 208M wheels and Black Boston Leather with Comfort Pack, Media Pack - Business, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Debadged.

spokey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by spokey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:51 pm

scully2763 wrote:could it be organised for the start and finish points to be a bit closer to Leeds
No. :P
Ciao,
Spokey

tminal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tminal » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 pm

JoHNY wrote:.....you all seem to be very ugly though. :lol:

Looks like you all had a great time and i will definitely come on the next one. :)
Cheers JoHNY, thanks for the compliment! :D shame you couldn't make it but family comes first!
Mercedes C220 Sport - Tenorite Grey
Gone....
Citroen DS4 115Hdi DStyle - Polar White
Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.6JDTm Distinctive - Etna Black
BMW 118i SE 3 door - Alpine White
BMW 116i SE 5 door - Black

Return to “The Cruise Aftermath....”