Baby BMW Forum banner

New to cleaning/basic detailing, can someone approve my plan?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Peter9588 
#1 ·
2016 car, probably never been cleaned properly.

After reading a bunch of the stickies, I am slightly confused but I have come up with a list of products and an order to do things and would like someone to confirm before I buy and commit to doing this properly.

1. Wash with any degreasing shampoo, even fairy liquid + pressure washer
2. Hand wash with microfibre mitt
3. Rinse
4. Use dragons breath iron out (Probably do 1/2 the car first as it says 2-3 mins then the other half)
5. Rinse
6. Use some form of tar remover/traffic film remover on the wheels and lower part of the body. Looking at stone-white.
7. Rinse
8. Clay mitt - G3 7179 - (2 Panels at a time)
9. Shampoo wash again just to be sure?
10. Dry with microfibre towels
11. G3 PanelWipe
12. C2v3 Sealant (Do 2 panels at a time)

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 ·
Yes this is a deep clean and detail, not a regular wash. Like I say, it has probably never been done so hopefully the c2v3 stuff will give a good base of protection for the summer.

#7 ·
Fairy liquid contains salt. It's not a good detergent for car cleaning. I'd skip the first step. Just blast off the loose dirt with the pressure washer then wash it with your mitt and whatever car detergent you've bought.

Your plan is missing a polishing step. Depending on how old your car is and how well the paint has been maintained, you will likely need a polishing step to get the best possible shine from the paint before sealing it.

If you do add a polishing step, be sure to use one that doesn't contain any fillers. You need a really clean surface to apply the GTechniq sealant.

#8 ·
Thanks.

For the polishing, what would you recommend. On some youtube vids, I have seen scratch remover referred to as polish. Something like Farecla G3 Professional Scratch Remover. Would this be suitable? If not, could you recommend a reasonably priced polish? Would this be done on the entire car or just parts that still have visible marks after step 10?

#10 ·
A true polish is a scratch remover. However, some products are called polishes but rather than remove scratches, they 'fill' them e.g Autoglym SRP.

Something like Meguiars Ultimate Compound is effective and costs about £10 in Halfords. Be aware that polish is an abrasive so it will take some work to be effective (especially by hand). The plus side of applying one by hand is that it's very difficult to over polish and damage the clear coat.

#11 ·
Ok thanks for all the tips. This is gonna be a good days work! Hopefully this will only be a once or twice a year thing.

1. Wash with bilthamber autofoam(snowfoam) + pressure washer.
2. Hand wash with microfibre mitt and G3 body prep shampoo.
3. Rinse
4. Use dragons breath iron out (Probably do 1/2 the car first as it says 2-3 mins then the other half)
5. Rinse
6. Use some form of tar remover/traffic film remover on the wheels and lower part of the body. Looking at stone-white.
7. Rinse
8. Clay mitt - G3 7179 - (2 Panels at a time) Using Quick Detailer + water as lube
9. Snowfoam again
10. Dry with microfibre towels
11. Apply Meguiars Ultimate Compound and perhaps scratch remover if I find some scratches Meguiars doesn't remove.
12. Snowfoam again to clean off oils from Meguiars
13. Dry
14. G3 PanelWipe
15. C2v3 Sealant (Do 2 panels at a time)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.