Baby BMW Forum banner

Drivetrain malfunction

9K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wingham8 
#1 ·
So we were laden with three people, gifts and a couple of weekends bags each, and received a drivetrain malfunction about 3/4 of the way from Reading to Aberystwyth. I suspect the sustained hill driving with the extra weight was putting too much heat in the gearbox or diff and the computer felt the need to tell us. It didn't say stop, but continue with reduced power and get it checked out. We got to our destination without any further drama.

Thing is there's no sign of the error now, apart from the picture I took, and it drove fine at the time and has done since. Should I take it in to the dealership to be safe? It's still in standard warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh no!? Really? Could it need an inlet valve clean? It's done 18k and not had one yet.. Are walnut shell blast cleans covered under warranty due to poor design?

..I'll take it to the local stealer soon. Thanks for the heads up. [emoji106]

#5 ·
Done! I tried to add this info the other day but was using Tapatalk and there was no option. I was also suffering from overindulgence and drunk! ;)

#6 ·
It really shouldn't need a valve clean at 18k, mine's on 60k and they still look like new.

Doubt it's overheating either, in near-freezing ambient winter temps.

I'd have it scanned by a Main Dealer next time you're passing, as instructed by the iDrive.

#8 ·
Yep, coolant level is ok.. I'll take it into the dealer once it's been detailed & ceramic coated next week!! I don't trust dealerships not to wash it before then. It also drops power occasionally every now and again. At idle, it shakes the car ever so slightly.. when under power, it can feel like a momentary loss in power. I need to take it for a proper Italian tuneup but it picks up speed so quickly it's easier said than done! Need to find a secluded straight stretch of road. And some spare time!

#9 ·
I've just had this problem sorted, the warning message was only appearing when I drove the car (1 series 116i msport) hard.

Turned out to be one of two things, first issue was a faulty spark plug, one of them was different to the other four and was completely shot, had these all swapped out by the BMW dealer. The second issue was a cracked water pump pulley, this was potentially causing the engine to overheat.

Since I've had the car back it's been perfect, haven't felt the turbo kick in for a while so was a nice feeling :lol2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.