Baby BMW Forum banner

M140i Corner Grill Mesh Mod - Easy DIY + photos

10K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  simonorsborn 
#1 ·
I've done the lower corner grille mesh mod this weekend to combat the stones getting in there and destroying the radiator behind it.

This is a well documented issue and BMW started adding the stone guards to the main radiator, but not behind the corner grille.

In my photo, I've highlighted in pink where the clips are located. The photo already has the grille behind in this photo but I didn't take a before photo unfortunately.

There's a video kicking around regarding removal, but it's not the best because doesn't show the best method of removing the grille other than just tugging it randomly.

Pop the grey valance off first, which you can just put a small plastic wedge into the botom right sharpest corner and work clockwise around popping it off. It comes off easily.

For the main grille, with the grey valance removed, I pushed a credit card/squeegee/flat plastic trim removal part into the far right area first, which pushes the clip in, enough to allow it to pop free. Then the two bottom ones, followed by the left side one, and lastly the top 2 clips.

I broke a clip trying this using the video method from a previous post where it was prized without any sort of order. After revisiting the job the day later I figured this method was better, and it came out in 20 seconds.

Then you need to buy some black aluminium mesh, which I got off eBay for about £8 for a 1m x 30cm length, and cut a small piece off, as such:

Then zip tie or plastic weld it to the grille as pictured.

View from the front:

And a final 'fitted' photo:

Should save me some bills further down the line. The radiator already shows signs of stones hitting it, so hopefully this prevents much more damage.

My M140i Shadow Edition already has the radiator grille (centre) stone guard modification but these corner ones still don't have anything there. Worth doing for what it will cost you.

See less See more
#7 ·
Just done mine. I had to buy a huge roll off eBay for £9.99 and used just a tiny bit off one end. But it looks spot on and I'm happy with how it turned out.
Removing the first grill wasn't as easy as I hoped, one of the clips did not want to let go! I found it needs to slide towards the center of the car as you pull forward and pop. Same with the main black grill. There's also a screw to remove from the black grill but that should be obvious when you're dismantling.

Thanks for the guide and idea :D

#8 ·
Really useful guide. I had to do the same on my 987 Boxster S (really common fault on them also for same reasons - stones and build up of leaves rotting through radiators), so definitely worth it for what it will save in holed radiator cores etc.

#9 ·
Done this. Great DIY. Thanks. :)

Started like a moron on the other corner, silver trim off before I realised it was a solid corner trim on that side. I've spent too much time working on a 987...

Is there a way to get the centre grill off to do the same mod without removing the bumper? Had a look but can only see a guide on this xorner.

Thanks

#10 ·
Try slotting cards in there between grill and bumper, if you can it should be evident? Especially by the corners.

I want a PPF passenger side grill for mine so I can have a matched look now. The blanked off grill looks like a poor replica now I've done the mesh on the drivers one.

#13 ·
Mrbarry said:
This link shows the grill removed and exploded views of the clips.
Thanks for that - unfortunately appears to confirm what I've read since posting on various forums, namely that the central requires a full bumper removal to remove - at which point I for this purpose there'd be little purpose. :(

#16 ·
Hey Rikky & others, I did this on my M140i when I first got it. I read about all the troubles people were having with stones holing their rads. Luckily I got BMW to retro fit the rock guards at no cost to me but even with that done it still left the lower offside rad with no protection so I fitted my own mesh. Attached video below shows how I did it. Hope this is helpful. Cheers. Mine's a 2017 M140i with a few other bits & bobs done and it's still under 25k miles. I always have it serviced by BMR in Turners Hill, West Sussex and highly recommend them. It runs real sweet. Cheers!