Baby BMW Forum banner

09 987.2 Boxster vs 55 120d

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  HaiderGill 
#1 ·
Hi,

Boxster has PASM with DSC V1 controller, 255 BHP and 250lb-ft at 4-7k revs, PDK, Sport Chrono, 19inch 265R35& 235/R35 N1 Bridgestones RE what ever, Tesco Momentum 99, had new wishbone, drop-links, inner steering rack ends and front and rear anti rollbar bushes fitted under extended warranty

120d remapped to 195BHP 295lb-ft 2-3.5k revs, 4 four new injectors, turbo, Koni FSDS, eibach pro, shorter M3 bumpstops, front strut top mounts, rear lower strut bushes, 18inch 225R40 and 255R40 PS4, V Power diesel

The steering in the Box, it's like carving a road with a scalpel, ultra precise, 1er steering feels vague but so do most cars in comparison. Mid engine makes it more pointy. The 1er acqquits itself well considering it cost less than 1/2 price of the Box when they were new. The rear is the problem on the 1er feels vague when taking turns. I put in a full tank of fuel to help weigh the back down in the 1er so when i'm braking for a turn and the weight is being transferred to the front, the back will still becpushed down by the fuel load. The back just feels vague, no oversteer just vague. It's like I can't feel what's happening back there that means I don't have the confidence to press harder. Any suggestions lads?

Thanks
H

See less See more
#2 ·
PS4 are good tyres, but not the last word in precision. Probably be better off with SuperSports, Bridgestone Potenza Sports, etc. In the correct sizes too.

Have you already fitted the M3 front wishbones, and rear subframe inserts, like everyone else? They obviously won't turn it into a lightweight mid-engine sports car, but should be a baby-step in the right direction.

#3 ·
Really don't think there's much point critically comparing a 1 series to a Boxster with regard to driving dynamics. Two very different cars with very different purposes.
A more useful comparison would be to drive a standard 120d back to back with yours and then decide if it needs 'work'.

ETA - 255/40/18 rear tyres won't help (should be 35?)

#4 ·
I felt a nice improvement to steering sharpness on my 130 when I fitted lighter flow-formed wheels.

Most of the Bola FL series are around 8kg in 18", which is 3-4kg lighter per corner than your 269s. Those and the F1 SS/Potenza Sports Marco mentioned would probably make noticable difference, even moreso with inserts and LCAs.

#5 ·
Sorry I have 255/35 R18s PS4s on the rear. Might get some Super Sports. I think might get some rear subframe bushes & M3 LCAs and head to Centre Gravity to give it check over...

I am trying to keep costs down as I paid £1500 to Porsche Centre Cambridge for my 12 year service & £630 for a 1 year extension to the extended warranty. It was a major service, spark plugs, brake fluid, PDK transmission oil and PDK clutch oil; each one of those items are billed separately, major service is oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter and vehicle checks. Extended warranty stipulates having to use Porsche Authorised Repair Centre. The big indies Hartech, JZM, RPM Technik are about £300 cheaper, not much in it. Extended warranty is a must have had two window relays drivers & passenger, cross-over pipes for the radiators, air breather and the suspension stuff and bushes all done. That work would have cost more than three years warranty easily. Pork chops definitely not cheap as chips to run but at least I have had no bore scoring:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.