Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

nivens
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: E81 130i with stuff™

Post by nivens »

Where did you get your boot struts? Mine are needing replaced but SGS seem to be quite expensive now at £15 each plus delivery.
2005 E87 130i - Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nyxeris »

nivens wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:40 pm Where did you get your boot struts? Mine are needing replaced but SGS seem to be quite expensive now at £15 each plus delivery.
Used these struts off eBay which were mentioned on the "what have you done today" thread. Immediate improvement over the old ones (BMW branded so probably original).

Didn't go down the 'fully open from the fob' route others in there were talking about, I don't like the idea of a spring being installed somewhere it wasn't designed to go that also happens to be right next to a window lol.
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
nivens
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nivens »

Thanks, I'll give them a try, if I get a few years out them I'll be happy at that price. I'm not fussed on the auto opening either, as long as the tailgate isn't falling back down on my head I'm happy.
2005 E87 130i - Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Brake refurbishing in progress. Step 1: M badge delete :lol:

Actually just roughing the calipers up and spraying them black, also renewing all seals and hardware before installing on the car. Will get them coated properly (most likely in gunmetal) when funds allow, this is just a stopgap as the blue has a few obvious chips. Bought some white E82-style “BMW” decals too as I don’t really like the bloody great “M”, feels wrong on my car.

Also got Apec discs, OEM Mintex pads, Hel stainless lines/fittings and genuine replacement bolts etc. just for peace of mind. Away until Monday now so will hopefully have them on the car Tues/Weds...
E81 130i | Build Thread
Twenny

Re: E81 130i with stuff[emoji769]

Post by Twenny »

Nyxeris wrote:Brake refurbishing in progress. Step 1: M badge delete :lol:

Actually just roughing the calipers up and spraying them black, also renewing all seals and hardware before installing on the car. Will get them coated properly (most likely in gunmetal) when funds allow, this is just a stopgap as the blue has a few obvious chips. Bought some white E82-style “BMW” decals too as I don’t really like the bloody great “M”, feels wrong on my car.

Also got Apec discs, OEM Mintex pads, Hel stainless lines/fittings and genuine replacement bolts etc. just for peace of mind. Away until Monday now so will hopefully have them on the car Tues/Weds...
Nice one mate. My black spray paint has been on my Calipers for over 6 months and they’re still brand new. Look forward to the pics.

2018 F80 M3CP San Marino - not yet crashed
2017 F80 M3CP Silverstone II - crashed

2010 E82 125i Black - sold
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60951
J0sephx
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by J0sephx »

Looks good fella, I left the M badge on mine because I couldn't be bothered to remove. Yours look like they're in better nick than mine as well!
E87 130i : Bilstein B12 suspension, M3 steering rack, M3 front arms, M3 rear arms, Whiteline subframe inserts, M140i front callipers, BMWP rear callipers, E93 M3 front ARB, M3 rear ARB, LSD, 135i exhaust, Res delete, SSK, E46 M3 gearbox mounts
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Cheers gents!

Quick pic of the finished brakes - just waiting for the decals to dry and new mounting bolts to arrive (because some tw*t forgot to order them...).

Fairly happy with the outcome, paint came up nicely, especially on the visible bits. Will order custom silver decals next time as in hindsight these (which are sized/contoured/coloured for E82 Brembos rather than F20) look slightly weird. The inner seals were all fine but I've replaced them anyway, outer seals had just started to let some tiny bits of grit back so needed doing. Should hopefully last a nice long while!

E81 130i | Build Thread
holland130i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by holland130i »

that looks awesome!!! :-D

Mark.
TonyGermany

Post by TonyGermany »

Nice. I just got this a month ago and am absolutely loving it. A few issues to iron out though. Passenger window switch doesn’t work up (got a switch on eBay but that didn’t fix it), also parking sensors don’t work (fuse is fine, and light is on on the dash) and air con needs attention. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

TonyGermany wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:09 pm Nice. I just got this a month ago and am absolutely loving it. A few issues to iron out though. Passenger window switch doesn’t work up (got a switch on eBay but that didn’t fix it), also parking sensors don’t work (fuse is fine, and light is on on the dash) and air con needs attention.
Looks lovely bud - especially with the coupe bumper/splitter! Get posting in the E8x section about those issues and someone will get you squared away.
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

:censored: brake lines!!!

Line has obviously been rusting away under the sheath for a while, it's very swollen and I barely even touched the union with a flare nut spanner before the line started to twist so I stopped. Made an emergency phone call to Cotswold late yesterday for a replacement. Could really have done without the expense but I don't see the point in buying fancy braided hoses and cheaping out on the hardline.

Nearside went on fine. Took the opportunity to give the wheelarches & their contents some TLC whilst I was in there to ward off rust. The caliper decals are a bit 'obvious'... Might end up taking them off. We'll see.

Before:

After:

Ignore the state of the rim... Refurb will be coming in winter :roll:
E81 130i | Build Thread
J0sephx
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by J0sephx »

Did you get rears as well or just fronts?

Looks good though mate
E87 130i : Bilstein B12 suspension, M3 steering rack, M3 front arms, M3 rear arms, Whiteline subframe inserts, M140i front callipers, BMWP rear callipers, E93 M3 front ARB, M3 rear ARB, LSD, 135i exhaust, Res delete, SSK, E46 M3 gearbox mounts
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

J0sephx wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:56 pm Did you get rears as well or just fronts?

Looks good though mate
:thumbs:

Just fronts until the wallet recovers, upgrade was slightly rushed as the front calipers were both sticking!

I'm torn between 135i and 335i for the rear at the moment too. Brembos would be ideal (and my preference tbh) but the pad overhang situation with E39 discs would always be a slight concern, 335i is only slidey calipers but the entire setup is a direct bolt-on and still a bigger disc, pad and piston than standard 130i... I'll have some time to think about it anyway!
E81 130i | Build Thread
J0sephx
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by J0sephx »

Sounds good!

I went for the 135i 2 pot (bolt on job).

Only thing is you need specific discs for the 130i - you can’t use the 135i disc and they’re a bit awkward to find. I went for some mintex ones.

I’d rather go for them the 335i rears! The 135i brembos are hard to come by! I was lucky with mine & a pal sorted it out for me!

The rears won’t make much of a difference tbh, I just wanted them to look a bit better & perform better if possible
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

J0sephx wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:01 pm I went for the 135i 2 pot (bolt on job).

Only thing is you need specific discs for the 130i - you can’t use the 135i disc and they’re a bit awkward to find. I went for some mintex ones.

I’d rather go for them the 335i rears! The 135i brembos are hard to come by! I was lucky with mine & a pal sorted it out for me!

The rears won’t make much of a difference tbh, I just wanted them to look a bit better & perform better if possible
Ahh I think I didn't make that clear - it's those two pot M135i Brembos I was on about, in TheTyrant's thread it says somewhere that with those and the discs you need for the 130i there's a pad overhang of a few mm which means it's possible, in theory, for the rear brakes to wear down to the point where the two pads would contact each other before the disc giving you zero rear brake effect.

Getting the pads trimmed (or just not letting them wear down that low) would avoid the issue, but seeing as it's going to be a little while before I can wrangle the rears past the bank balance I just thought I'd keep an open mind about what to put there hence considering the 335i brakes!
E81 130i | Build Thread

Return to “Members Cars”