Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

pem10
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post by pem10 »

Definitely right about the same age related stuff Nxyeris. I'd love mine to go through the same kind of treatment that you're giving yours but I lack the two things required,ie, time and knowledge :(
I applaud what you're doing but for me it's a prolonged session in the garage with a large bill at the end :lol:
Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Haven't been spending too much time outside because it's bloody cold, but finally got the box down this morning. The top 2 bolts on the bell housing are a sod to get to, I feel like a lot of the vids showing this bit cut out a good 15-30mins of fiddling and swearing! Found a tip to jack the front of the engine up slightly to tilt the box back which brought them into reach.

Also put down some 4mm Silent Coat sound deadening on the boot floor as a break from laying underneath. Need to put the open airbox back on and see if the drone at 3-4k is tolerable now :roll:

E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

pem10 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:33 pm I applaud what you're doing but for me it's a prolonged session in the garage with a large bill at the end :lol:
Tbh I was very close to just booking it in for the flywheel as I knew it wouldn't be easy without a lift, but nobody is interested in doing the cleaning/protection stuff even paying full whack labour (short of Redish etc. but you'd have to be mental or absolutely minted to drop that kind of cash on a 130). I want it done as I can't see myself getting rid of this car in the next few years, and don't want to be in the position I was with the last car where you know it's a sh*thouse underneath so you dread the little jobs and begrudge any improvements/mods even though you want them!
E81 130i | Build Thread
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

Nyxeris wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:15 pm I want it done as I can't see myself getting rid of this car in the next few years, and don't want to be in the position I was with the last car where you know it's a sh*thouse underneath so you dread the little jobs and begrudge any improvements/mods even though you want them!
What was the underneath like in the transmission tunnel? I would have thought pretty clean as the heat shields keep most water and muck away and the exhaust heat keeps it nice and warm and dry. When I did the subframe work on my cars I peered down the transmission tunnel and it all looked ok but hard to see properly with all the shields in place.
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

jonwilli wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 am What was the underneath like in the transmission tunnel?
Tunnel was basically spotless, couple of tiny spots of corrosion and some throw-off from the centre bearing.

The underside of both plastic/felt shields was absolutely packed with crap, as were the skirts. It was a couple of inches thick held up against the chassis where the battery cables/fuel lines had blocked the escape and most of the chassis studs were starting to corrode from it. Taken it all off for a blast down with the pressure washer!

Turns out BMW sell an anti-corrosive seam sealer for this stuff - official called 83192317997 Underfloor protection, 1L - actually called Normfest Bottom Guard Recoat and a tenner from EuroCarParts so I ordered a can :D
E81 130i | Build Thread
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

Nyxeris wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:54 pm The underside of both plastic/felt shields was absolutely packed with crap, as were the skirts. It was a couple of inches thick held up against the chassis where the battery cables/fuel lines had blocked the escape and most of the chassis studs were starting to corrode from it. Taken it all off for a blast down with the pressure washer!

Turns out BMW sell an anti-corrosive seam sealer for this stuff - official called 83192317997 Underfloor protection, 1L - actually called Normfest Bottom Guard Recoat and a tenner from EuroCarParts so I ordered a can :D
I noticed that when I fit the BMWP side skirts to my 130 that there was a lot of crap under those shields. I couldn't see much corrosion but have it on my list to take them off both the 130 and 135 next summer and clean and treat where needed. Need to also do the front and rear wheel arches on the 130i as preventative maintenance.

Let us know what the Guard Recoat is like, procedure, how it applies and what the finish is like. I was planning on using Hydrate 80 with Dynax over the top but the seam sealer might be a longer term solution.
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Sat twiddling my thumbs until parts arrive now. Rear main seal is weeping very slightly and the selector rod seal is leaking badly, going to do the output shaft seal as well because it's impossible to tell if it's leaking as the selector rod sits above it! Output shaft could be done without dropping the box but the selector rod definitely can't!

These are the parts I needed to order after getting everything apart in case it helps anyone.

Code: Select all

Name				Part		Qty	RRP	Description
Shaft seal			11117587168	1	£28.91	Rear main seal (two sizes available, check with Cotswold)
Shaft seal			23117531360	1	£15.30	Selector rod seal
Shaft seal			23117531365	1	£21.90	Output shaft seal
Hexagon nut with collar		23217531367	1	£12.62	Output shaft nut - can't be reused
Body nut			07146949380	6	£0.60	Heatshield nuts (.5mm pressed steel - dissolve on removal!)
jonwilli wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:59 pm Let us know what the Guard Recoat is like, procedure, how it applies and what the finish is like. I was planning on using Hydrate 80 with Dynax over the top but the seam sealer might be a longer term solution.
Will do - I'll apply it over Hydrate 80 in the areas that look like they've taken impact. Apparently it just brushes on so we'll see!
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

In case it's of interest to other 130i owners...
  • The release bearing is scrap, it rattles like a box of bolts and I can only get it about 1/4 turn in either direction.
  • The DMF has 7 teeth of rotational play which is just in spec (8 teeth), but enough axial play for both masses to touch so well over the 5mm limit.
  • The pilot bearing had excessive play too - no idea how to measure that so you'll have to take my word for it lol.
  • The old clutch is 7.4mm thick with roughly 1mm before the rivets on both sides; ISTA says 0.4mm is the replacement threshold.
Basically, the DMF and release bearing are knackered, but comparing the old clutch to new it only seems about 50% worn.

The car's just ticked over 95k, only symptoms it had were the chatter in neutral and a louder rattle on shutdown (plus some resonance which I'm blaming on the centre bearing). I'm glad I went ahead with this all things considered, and I can at least add a bit of weight to the argument about the CRB/DMF being the weak link rather than the clutch itself.

Tide line on the flywheel and friction material - I guess because the axial play allowed it to flop about:

Last edited by Nyxeris on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E81 130i | Build Thread
CalvinNismo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CalvinNismo »

I think that 95,000 miles isn’t too bad to be changing out the parts that you’ve been changing. You’re changing more parts than most would as well, so you should have a really noticeable change from the driver’s seat. Lower RPM jabs of the throttle are the enemy of DMFW’s I’ve heard. Maybe a previous owner enjoyed a lot of 35mph to 40mph pulls in 6th in commuter traffic!

I look forward to your impressions of the shifter bushings.
nivens
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nivens »

Thanks for sharing this, I'll probably be looking at getting the clutch\dmf done in the next 12 months assuming nothing more urgent comes up before then as mine has had a leak from the rear main seal for a couple of years now (115k miles). It's handy to know there's a few other bits worth adding to the job while it's in bits as I would be getting it done at an local indy so wouldn't want the labour cost of revisiting some of this later.

That's if we're ever allowed out the house again.
2005 E87 130i - Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

So to summarise what I've been up to over lockdown 3:
  • Flywheel, clutch and associated bits
  • Rear main seal
  • Selector rod seal
  • Both guibos
  • Centre bearing
  • Gearbox oil
  • Engine oil & filter
  • M3 gearbox mounts
  • Complete shift linkage rebuild
  • Powerflex shift arm oval bushings
  • Poly shift arm rear bearing
  • Sound deadened the boot
& a bloody good clean, protect and seal underneath.

The job ended up taking much longer than I'd hoped. Park Lane managed to take 9 working days to ship out some bolts meaning that delivery overran the holidays, and when they eventually turned up I was swamped with work losing another week. Then the weather went to sh*t. All in I'd guess about 16 hours of actual work and significantly more downtime. - started just after xmas, finished at the end of Jan.

It probably goes without saying that changing all this has completely transformed the car. Not just trying to convince myself it was worth it either lol - really is a massive noticable improvement. Everything is just smoother and quieter. Clutch engagement feels similar (makes sense as it's a SAC), but releasing after a shift seems much more precise and it drops into gear perfectly. The flywheel seems to have made the car feel a lot more responsive on the throttle, I guess that's down to the play in the old one needing to spin up before the driveline caught up. DMF chatter is gone, as is the clatter/shake on shutdown. Resonance from the centre bearing is gone too. Only downside is the 500 miles of good behaviour to break in the new clutch is going to take bloody ages during lockdown!

The shifter feels like it's laser guided now - no slop at all in any direction and clicks into place smoothly. There is a touch of gear whine but it's quiet, having the radio on or a window cracked drowns it out entirely. The Powerflex bushings are absolute hell to install into the arm and are 100% not the right size for the 130i gearbox - I had to trim about 1.5-2mm off each one to fit the arm back on the box. Got there in the end though. The large bushing for the other end of the arm is a nightmare to remove because it's retained by metal tabs (ended up just cutting the old one in half with a grinder so I could squash it with molegrips) but reinstallation is extremely easy, just pops into place.

With all the undertrays and heatshields removed I could see quite a bit of rubbish stuck under the lateral protection panels, so took those off too. It looks like stuff gets in around the jacking points and edges of the skirts (which themselves were packed full) and gets stuck up against the chassis legs, power cables and fuel/brake lines.

Surfex HD in the foam cannon because I'm lazy, works great though!

The underside then got carefully blasted out, then I cleaned/degreased it with Surfex HD before applying Dynax S50, particularly into the pinch welds as although they were fine on this car, on my old one they were bubbling up like a jacuzzi.

Where the rear brace mounts up to the body at the end of the tunnel is completely exposed, and the e-coat had been chipped/worn off in a few areas allowing the chassis to start corroding underneath it. Decided to do a proper job of repairing that area being that it's structural, and minor surface rust is easily dealt with. Wire-wheeled the e-coat off with a decent margin up into the sides and tunnel, then used POR15 metal prep and a couple of coats of POR15 itself. Topped the exposed edges and non-contact areas with Normfest Bottom Guard Recoat which is OEM BMW seam sealer, and once that dried applied Dynax UB. It aint pretty, but it should last forever now.

The gap in the shields around the fuel tank had some little spots too, touched those up in-situ with Hydrate 80 then overcoated with a layer of BGR and topped with Dynax UB. I injected Dynax S50 into the chassis legs you can see here, the edges got POR15 and BGR as part of the previous job, but I didn't apply it internally in case it clogged up the drain holes which would make things much worse over time!

After all that... Found a BMWP strut brace that was in need of a little TLC (and fittings), put an offer in, and the seller accepted. Couldn't say for sure if there's a handling improvement, its been cold/wet and I haven't pushed my luck, plus I've got to behave to bed in the clutch. Cleaned up nicely though, so it's a doing a fine job as a finishing touch for the engine bay! Thanks to Jonwilli for the part nos for the fittings too.

Finally, I fitted some LED angel eye bulbs as recommended by blingers - finally a set that are error free, decent light spread and no bulky resistors that kill your adaptive motors so very happy with the outcome for under £20 shipped. I got 6000k to match the headlight bulbs and any difference is indistinguishable in person. I've grown quite fond of the period-correct halogen look but LED is so much more modern.

E81 130i | Build Thread
pem10
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by pem10 »

Great work Nyxeris. Makes my recent maintenance look a bit half hearted :lol:
RoyBoy777
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RoyBoy777 »

That’s a serious amount of work!! What a great effort!! So nice to see the 130’s getting some love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silky99

Post by Silky99 »

As above, great effort taking that on yourself. Bet it's made a hell of a difference to the shift especially!
holland130i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by holland130i »

great work on the car!!

Mark.

Return to “Members Cars”