Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E81 130i with stuff™

Post by Nyxeris »

markhurley wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:04 pm Looking good there will be following, I need the alpine kit in mine :mrgreen:
sitruc_nuahs wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:28 pm Looks blooming lovely. Also want to do the Alpine kit :)
Appreciate the kind words. The alpine kit is night and day different to base audio - definitely worth the money if you like your tunes. If it’s still available in a year or so (winter shoes and some preventative maintenance to sort before any more big spending) I could be tempted to buy it again for the rear speakers lol!
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Haven't had a chance to do much over the past few weeks as the old E46 is currently occupying my axle stands to replace a bunch of MOT stuff, including a particularly uncooperative rear wheel bearing :banghead:

Trying to source a set of fancy front calipers/discs/pads for the 130 as my fronts are currently sticking slightly. I don't see the point in spending £4-500 on new 'correct' parts (or trying to get it done under warranty) when I'll eventually be upgrading them anyway, but it's not a great buyer's market at the moment with the BMWP BBK having gone up significantly, and most listings for E8x 135i & Fxx M-Lite brakes having various issues from price to condition to missing bits. Not sure why people seem to think their well-used calipers refurbed by Stevie Wonder's guide dog are worth nearly as much as BMW charge for brand new!

So instead... Here's a pic I took whilst the sun poked its head out for the first time in a few days :D

E81 130i | Build Thread
markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley »

Just keep your eyes peeled for some m135i brembos , the 6 pots are dear now.
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's,Carbotech pads.
J0sephx
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by J0sephx »

As above.

Some bargains to be found on eBay with those M135i fronts. A worth while upgrade.

You’ll be lucky to find some 135i 6 pots for reasonable money but M135i callipers are up quite often!
E87 130i : Bilstein B12 suspension, M3 steering rack, M3 front arms, M3 rear arms, Whiteline subframe inserts, M140i front callipers, BMWP rear callipers, E93 M3 front ARB, M3 rear ARB, LSD, 135i exhaust, Res delete, SSK, E46 M3 gearbox mounts
Jamm1981
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jamm1981 »

Very nice looking car.
Well looked after also.
BMW
e87 - 116i - 115pK - Sonora - Havana
e30 - 316i - 99pK - Brillianrot - Anthrazit stoff
e61 - 525d - 163pK - Silbergrau-Black -SOLD-
Freude Am Fahren

VW Corrado-1989-1800 16V
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Thanks all for the comments!

So far not having great luck on the brake front. Won a full set of M135i brakes on ebay a week and a bit ago but the seller has gone quiet on me after an initial flurry of messages. Going to give them today to respond before contacting ebay, but I'd rather have the brakes than a refund...

Also ended up being outbid on the BMWP exhaust that went up, and sniped at the last second on an E82 135i exhaust I'd been watching. Hoping to end my run of bad ebay luck today as I just found a set of power folding/heated mirrors & the switch from a breakers at a fantastic price. Already have new wiring looms for the retrofit so that one should be good to go once the new bits arrive.

Had a bash at the cruise retrofit last week and coding didn't go according to plan - have restored everything to default to try again when I can spare the time to troubleshoot. Cruise is working and the calibration was successful but no indication on the IC. It's perfectly drivable as-is, I just hate leaving half a job done!

Onto the successful stuff:

Rebadged the car using the specs from NewTIS.info to get the placement as close as possible to factory:

Edit: ignore how dirty the car is lol, been too sunny to clean it properly without causing water spots :roll: I did decon and prep the working areas, honest!

(the i looks off here - it's the angle, was either that or a shot of my pasty legs :D)

Also added some smoked side repeaters. These are just plain old bulb housings with Osram silver indicator bulbs as I didn't fancy messing around with LED units of questionable quality.

Should hopefully have the E46 gone this week so I can move onto the bigger stuff - M3 LCAs, subframe inserts, bump stops. I do have a scuffmaster kit sat waiting too - can't wait to tidy up that seat bolster!
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Another quick one. Exhaust tips were looking a bit worse for wear and the buildup wasn't coming off via normal washing methods, so I removed them for a proper scrub and re-polish.

They did scrub up nicely but removing the carbon revealed some severe pitting that I wasn't happy with - right hand tip is clean, all the marks are surface corrosion. Most of the pits were fully through the plate so the tips are way past restoration.

So instead... I painted them black to hide the defects until I can get source a nicer exhaust :D Few coats of VHT (matt black because I couldn't find any gloss in stock :( ), baked for an hour and a half, nowhere near a perfect finish but *much* less obvious than the chrome was, especially from standing distance!

E81 130i | Build Thread
Twenny

Re: E81 130i with stuff[emoji769]

Post by Twenny »

Excellent. Coming along nicely. Although so far I’ve noticed lots of dark upgrades. So much for not murdering lol

Shame about the cruise control too.

2018 F80 M3CP San Marino - not yet crashed
2017 F80 M3CP Silverstone II - crashed

2010 E82 125i Black - sold
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60951
Nyxeris

Re: E81 130i with stuff[emoji769]

Post by Nyxeris »

Twenny wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:09 pm Excellent. Coming along nicely. Although so far I’ve noticed lots of dark upgrades. So much for not murdering lol

Shame about the cruise control too.
Haha I'll give you that!

Cruise should hopefully be sorted this weekend as I've dug up bit more info on what might have gone wrong and what to do about it. Fingers crossed...
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Folding mirrors arrived and all seems good. Wasn't planning to pick these up but thanks to a couple of ebay search alerts I managed to score the lot for just under £150 - not a deal I was going to sniff at as high-gloss shadowline mirrors seem to be going for about that each!

E81 130i | Build Thread
Captc

Post by Captc »

Very nice - I do like them in that colour, especially in the moody evening sunlight!
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Captc wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:51 pm Very nice - I do like them in that colour, especially in the moody evening sunlight!
Thanks! Need to get out and take some more evening pics now it hasn't got the horrible orange bulbs in anymore lol
E81 130i | Build Thread
SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

Looking good.

I love these little 130’s. I really wanted one a few years ago but just couldn’t find a good one so ended up with an E90 330, which was a fab car. That engine with a manual, in a smaller car must be fun. The BMW Performance parts are really nice for these. I had the steering wheel trim, gear selector and hand brake. If you can find one second hand, the BMWP air intake adds some nice noise, especially near the redline.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2009 E88 125i
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

SamM140 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 pm Looking good.

I love these little 130’s. I really wanted one a few years ago but just couldn’t find a good one so ended up with an E90 330, which was a fab car. That engine with a manual, in a smaller car must be fun. The BMW Performance parts are really nice for these. I had the steering wheel trim, gear selector and hand brake. If you can find one second hand, the BMWP air intake adds some nice noise, especially near the redline.
Thanks!

I actually cross-shopped this with the E91 330i/335i (needed a boot). Wasn’t happy with the condition/mileage I was seeing, and I was limited to the pre-LCI 330 as I didn’t want the N53 (most of the N54’s downsides without the hilarious tunability to make up for it). Definitely think I made the right choice, the 3 was a bit more refined but the 1 is much, much more enjoyable.

I’d have to get a fantastic deal on the intake (or exhaust) to justify it at the moment, got some preventative maintenance planned that’s going to obliterate the ‘big stuff’ budget. Could be tempted to take a punt on the filter element (again) if one comes up reasonably priced though!
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Some low-effort replacement parts fitted this morning.
  • Boot gas struts
  • Back-seat Isofix clip - don't need it, just annoying to have the cover missing lol.
  • N/S door sill trim - snapped a piece off during the Alpine install...
  • Interior & number plate bulbs - 2 interiors were out, and I got a CC warning for a plate bulb. Replaced with LEDs.
  • Rear wiper blade
  • 12v socket bung - god knows where the other one went. Probably under the seat somewhere...
  • Plus a few trim clips/grommets etc. that have gone walkies over the last 10 years!
Polished up the light lenses with Megs Plast-RX whilst they were off the car. Took 2 minutes, made short work of the yellowing/oxidation:

Link to video

Also ordered another set of front M135i calipers alongside new discs, pads & fixings... Second time lucky?
E81 130i | Build Thread

Return to “Members Cars”