Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin

Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E81 130i with stuff™

Post by Nyxeris »

Diff oil changed this afternoon, judging by the quality of what came out it's been done before too which is reassuring. Now with fresh Castrol Syntrax 75w90 from Opie and a new plug/gasket from Cotswold.

Pish easy job - probably 15mins excluding tidying up. Gearbox to follow when my axle stands are free...
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Couple of pics of the aero spoiler in the lovely British summer weather... Will take some side-ons once it's nicer out to show the silhouette of the car, it's sooo much better with this installed IMO.

Came up ok after wet sanding, compounding and polishing with my DA - bit more orange peel left than I'd like (the sun came out and it dried too quickly I think, couldn't bring it inside as I was using 2K clear and I quite like having lungs) but I'm just glad it's not taking up space in the spare bedroom anymore!

Been a productive few weeks looking back at this thread... The pile is getting ever smaller lol

Edit 13/08: Scratch that comment about the pile... Just ordered a belt, tensioner, inner and outer track rod ends, engine oil and filter. Bit earlier than planned but Carparts4less are doing 20% off and I already had £40 credit from returning a part for the E46 :roll:

Last edited by Nyxeris on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
E81 130i | Build Thread
holland130i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by holland130i »

looks perfect!!

:thumbs:

Mark.
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

holland130i wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am looks perfect!!

Much obliged! That video of your exhaust setup has got me trawling eBay for parts again haha.
E81 130i | Build Thread
holland130i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by holland130i »

Nyxeris wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:04 am
holland130i wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am looks perfect!!

Much obliged! That video of your exhaust setup has got me trawling eBay for parts again haha.
Welcome!

Haha,well...you should!! :D

Should not be too difficult to find a 2nd hand 135i backbox?
Dont know the availability of them in tje uk,but here and in germany there are plenty around!!

Mark.
Ellis

Post by Ellis »

Hi bud. Lovely motor, where did you get the smoked side repeaters from? All I can find on Amazon and ebay is the led ones and I'm not a fan off them.
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Ellis wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:18 pm Hi bud. Lovely motor, where did you get the smoked side repeaters from? All I can find on Amazon and ebay is the led ones and I'm not a fan off them.
Cheers!

I just bought the housings - ebay link - then replaced the bulbs with chromed W5W indicator bulbs, I'd recommend Osram Diadem Chrome.

Fair warning, as seems to be the case with most of these on eBay they came without the little rubber seal around the edge. I covered the back in black silicone and left it to go off before installing so that the retaining spring properly seals the housings against the panel, without it I expect you'd have quite bad water ingress.
E81 130i | Build Thread
Ellis

Post by Ellis »

Nyxeris wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:47 pm
Ellis wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:18 pm Hi bud. Lovely motor, where did you get the smoked side repeaters from? All I can find on Amazon and ebay is the led ones and I'm not a fan off them.
Cheers!

I just bought the housings - ebay link - then replaced the bulbs with chromed W5W indicator bulbs, I'd recommend Osram Diadem Chrome.

Fair warning, as seems to be the case with most of these on eBay they came without the little rubber seal around the edge. I covered the back in black silicone and left it to go off before installing so that the retaining spring properly seals the housings against the panel, without it I expect you'd have quite bad water ingress.
Great cheers mate and for the heads up
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Little update - other car fell prey to a particularly jobsworthy MOT tester and is back on the stands, so I've not had time to do anything major to the 130 :violin:

I'm in process of restoring the seats, had a Scuffmaster kit colour matched and bought some heavy-duty cleaner. Pulled out the rear bench and side panels so that I could do the job around other stuff as and when I get time. Rear is completely done now, passenger seat is next in line. Here's a bit of a before/after - the lighting is different but it's a decent example, they really have come up lovely.

Also had a foglight out so I replaced both bulbs with the H11 version of the 5000k Osram bulbs that are in the headlights. Bit of a waste of £20 given that the fogs get used maybe twice a year but at least they match now lol.

On the subject of lighting, as you can probably see in the above pic the Osram W5W bulbs I put in the sidelights a few months back turned out to be much yellower than their H7/H11s, so these have now been replaced with CANBUS friendly LEDs. Dazzle test went fine and I'm going to try running them as DRLs for a while if I can figure out how to code them on (the OBC's DRL function is front and rear dipped beams, which looks sh*te and just burns out the bulbs quicker). Before/after:

That's it for now!
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Something I forgot to mention - also got around to the camber pin mod last weekend whilst I was cleaning the engine bay out. The pins were a strange combo of the punch-through or twist-out types, I ended up grinding them flat with the dremel.

I did notice slightly better steering feel whilst cornering but that was it until I drove a familiar stretch of road today and the car really felt on point in a way it hasn't before. Pushed it a bit harder than normal and it seemed much happier to turn in, then also sailed round the longer bends with a lot more ease. If that's down to the pins colour me impressed!
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Finally got around to installing the rear BMWP bump stops and Whiteline subframe inserts yesterday. I posted a quick write-up on the latter here as the DIYs I could find were lacking some detail (especially regarding the E81's chassis brace).

Old bump stops were well past due changing:

I've put about 40 miles on the car with the new bits on now, including a couple of runs down familiar roads. Impressions so far:

The car is definitely less crashy now. Minor, sharp bumps in the road are less of an event. Everything feels smoothed out a tiny bit.

Stability on uneven surfaces, especially when cornering, is noticably better. It no longer pogos over speed bumps. One of the roads (a 4-6x a week regular drive) has a couple of corners with very poor surfaces where the car would skip/jump around causing DSC interference if I took them over about 40mph (50 limit). Today doing 45-50ish around the same corners was fine, no lateral movement and no DSC. Still a sh*te surface that bumped me around but those bumps no longer upset the balance of the car.

Hard accelleration now feels easier too - just in general the power seems to go down quicker and more effectively. No idea if that's just placebo effect though, to be perfectly honest I doubt I'm a skilled enough driver to compare lol.

I did notice an increased in NVH, more specifically noise, driving on some concrete paved roads but certainly not enough to bother me. Couldn't notice a thing on normal roads. Worth noting that I'm still on OE runflats and based on other feedback this NVH could go away when it's got proper tyres on.

Overall the car just feels more stable and composed now. I'm happy with the result and for maybe 3 hours all in for both installs I wish I'd done it sooner.

In other news I impulse bought an original BMWP brochure off eBay, saw one for pocket change instead of the £20-30 some "collectors" want...

And finally, the E46 is through its MOT and off to its new home tomorrow :fest: I'll finally have the space to get some of the heavier stuff done - right in time for the colder weather :lol:
E81 130i | Build Thread
InvertedPanda
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by InvertedPanda »

This is fantastic.

I used to enjoy reading build threads back in my earlier days as a car enthusiast. I even had a build thread of my own for my old turbocharged Honda Civic. Keep it up. Really enjoying this!
MHD "Stage 2+" tuned 2013 BMW M135i xDrive F21 (PWG)
My build thread: https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=128077
Instagram: @insta_hamz
Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Boombap »

Would it be the bumpstops or subframe inserts that increase NVH?
2006 130i manual :)
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

InvertedPanda wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:07 pm This is fantastic.

I used to enjoy reading build threads back in my earlier days as a car enthusiast. I even had a build thread of my own for my old turbocharged Honda Civic. Keep it up. Really enjoying this!
Thank you for the kind words! I'll try to keep the interesting stuff coming - will mostly just be maintenance/restoration for the next little while though!
Boombap wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:43 am Would it be the bumpstops or subframe inserts that increase NVH?
The inserts, they fill the void in the OE bushing with harder polyurethane which lets a bit more NVH through to the car. The bump stops do the opposite as they allow the damper more space to absorb bumps.

It really isn't much though, and only on certain surfaces. If it was bad I'd have pulled them out already! I think others with NVH concerns have either only installed the lower inserts (which would make the job much quicker too) or installed the Powerflex yellows instead as they're softer (but roughly 4x the price - Whiteline are £50 for the lot whereas Powerflex are £100 and you only get inserts for either the front or back mounts, can't remember which).
E81 130i | Build Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Finally got an interim oil change squared away this morning. Would have been last week but I had to buy a tool to get the filter housing open :roll: Still looks clean as a whistle inside, although the little green o-ring on the housing was rock hard. New one in there now so no drama!

Gearbox done too, fresh fill of Redline MTL plus new plugs from Cotswold (half the price of eBay). As with the diff I was very happy to find this had been done fairly recently despite it not being in the service book. I had Hel's braided CDV delete hose ready to go on but ran out of time so that's one for another day, along with a replacement offside underbody shield as mine was looking a bit worse for wear with a couple of knackered fixing holes too. Bit pricy at £90 (Cotswold again) but I'd rather that than let salt get under there this winter!

Final job was a quick check of the subframe bolts with the inserts having been on a couple of weeks (all good) and hitting boltheads under the car with some Bilt Hamber Dynax UB, especially the little 8mm buggers that hold the undertrays on. It's probably overkill but rust was such an issue on the E46 that I'm not taking any chances lol!

Bonus content: post-wash pics I took the other day. Was going to break out the DA before applying the winter wax but it's looking good already, unless you're far too close.

I have taken the lower grille off to re-touch it since these were taken - I'd have preferred just using GTechniq C4 but it would be far too fiddly!

E81 130i | Build Thread

Return to “Members Cars”