E81 130i with stuff™

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

E81 130i with stuff™

Post by Nyxeris » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Introducing my 2007 LCI 130i M Sport in Black Sapphire:

Picked her up in March 2019 with 80k on the clock and loving every second so far. Came from a rusty, battered old E46 320i (pic) so a fairly big jump in performance! She didn't have the all the specs I was after, but the condition and history were excellent so I took a punt. At least all the retrofits will keep me busy :mrgreen:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------The Situation-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs:
Factory: Boston Lemon leather | Heated seats | 208Ms | Auto wipers | Pro HU | Rear PDC | Dimming mirrors | Lighting pack | Storage pack
Retrofit: Alpine upgrade & pro audio subs | BMWP SSK, Handbrake, Pedals | Cruise control | Folding mirrors | Sport aerial |
Aftermarket/Mods: Custom BMWP-style steering wheel by Royal | Mishimoto intake boot & EZP intake scoops | Genuine M135i front brakes w/ Hel braided hoses | LED interior & plate lighting | Black grilles | Aero spoiler | ...and a Chinese bluetooth reciever lol

Short term/next up:
(updated 11 August 2019)
  • Gearbox oil
  • Suspension parts - BMWP bump stops, Whiteline subframe inserts
  • M3 parts - LCAs & gearbox mounts
On order:
(updated 11 August 2019)
  • Oil & filter
  • Inner & outer track rods
  • Serpentine belt & tensioner
Long term/wishlist:
  • Wheels/tyres - runcraps are frustratingly too new to justify replacing but too old to sell... 208s are due a refurb too.
  • Maintenance - water pump, tstat, serpentine belt, tensioner are due preventative attention once the warranty is up.
  • Paintwork - mostly in fantastic nick but there are a spattering of chips and the boot lip is scratched to absolute f*ck, so that needs sorting.
  • Tints need redoing, glad I had a bash but definitely something I'll leave to the pros from now on!
  • Bilstein B12 kit - once the current MSport shocks start to die. All seem fine for now though...
  • Retrofits - Xenons & front PDC. At the current price these aren't happening in the forseeable future.
  • Darklines - Look lovely but as with the other retrofits not a priority.
  • Just about everything BMWP. If they come up for the right price at the right time I'm game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Original Post-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The mod story so far:

BMWP SSK & handbrake

SSK is lovely and for £150 including the trim it's a good buy. Really does make the car more fun on the B roads! Got the handbrake trim to match, ML Performance had if for a good price and got some fantastic service from the owner after I stuffed up the order. Highly recommended, plus they're a site sponsor.

BMWP pedal covers

...they just look pretty

Sport antenna

Didn't want to trundle around with original Corsa-looking aerial. Wasn't expensive at all and makes a nice difference to the silhouette of the car.

Alpine upgrade

The kit (courtesy of Cotswold) went in a week or so ago, car already had two subs from the hifi system (instead of the single sub from the base system) so it sounds much better than you'd expect for the money. Feel like a bit of a badge wan*er though because I managed to find Logic7 tweeter grilles for roughly half the price of unbadged - need to find a way to remove the Harman/Kardon badge without damaging the grilles and add the Alpine one :lol:

While I had the boot apart I swapped the parcel shelves for the hifi ones, I'll be adding hifi system mids & tweeters there in the future, plus an amp so that I can code the car to hifi audio without affecting the PDC pings. Not an urgent project though.

Aero spoiler

This bit's not gone so smoothly lol. Posted about this in the 'what have you done today' topic but for anyone who didn't see it, my year-old GSD took a liking to the 1x3 pine strip I used to prop up the makeshift spray booth and buggered off with it, dropping some plastic sheet onto tacky paint. Got lazy, and instead of ordering paint from a proper supplier again I went to Halfords and, well...

It all sanded back nicely and I've bought some proper paint again, just need the spare time to get it done.

Steering wheel retrim

Edit: Installed - pics below!

Think that just about covers it. Been here a few weeks now (and spent months lurking here before I pulled the trigger on the car) and figured it was worth documenting my fall into poverty so that everyone else knows what they're in for :lol:
Last edited by Nyxeris on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 28 times in total.
E81 130i | Build Thread

holland130i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: E81 130i with stuff™

Post by holland130i » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am

Very nice 130i you bought...and good to see you are doing the right mods(or emptying your wallet... :wink: )already....!!!

Yeah the bilstein b12 and especially throwing away the runcraps and put proper tyres on will make the biggest difference!!... :D :D :D

Mark.

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nyxeris » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:14 pm

holland130i wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am
Very nice 130i you bought...and good to see you are doing the right mods(or emptying your wallet... :wink: )already....!!!

Yeah the bilstein b12 and especially throwing away the runcraps and put proper tyres on will make the biggest difference!!... :D :D :D

Mark.
Cheers mate, yours is a beauty too, quite the thread you've got! Think I'd have no spare time at all if I was that close to the autobahn too :D

Both of those jobs are on the cards under my ownership, will just be dictated by the condition of the old parts... Mostly because I need to fork out for a set of 17s and winter tyres at some point first. Once I've taken the runcraps off for a season I probably won't want to put them back on anyway :roll:
E81 130i | Build Thread

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:33 pm

I have a set of LED’s for the interior lighting if you’re interested. Osram and Philips. Not cheap ones.
Don’t do the map lights. Don’t work with LED lamps.
Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nyxeris » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Octavius wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:33 pm
I have a set of LED’s for the interior lighting if you’re interested. Osram and Philips. Not cheap ones.
Don’t do the map lights. Don’t work with LED lamps.
Appreciate the offer but I need to hold off on the spending for a while - plus I already have a pile of stuff waiting to fit that I'm getting nagged about! Thanks for the tip on the map lights too.
E81 130i | Build Thread

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nyxeris » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Took the opportunity to swap the front-end bulbs whilst the clouds had broken. Had a bad experience with high output bulbs in the past (Philips RacingVision heated the lenses on my E46 so much they bubbled up and needed replacing - ) so rather than go for pure power I got a set of Osram "xenon effect" bulbs which still claim to be up-to 50% brighter than standard. Under £30 on Amazon for the lot as well.

The Bulbs:

Before:

After:

Much nicer. Most of the blue is just the reflection of the bulb coating, they're much whiter than standard but they're not going to be mistaken for HIDS and a quick rear-view test in the old car confirms they focus nicely and don't dazzle (which you'd expect given that they're just tinted H7s).
E81 130i | Build Thread

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nyxeris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:50 pm

Retrimmed steering wheel with BMWP Alcantara trim installed :spotman:

In shot with the gearstick, SSK & pedal covers - the silver stitching & stripe goes with the other stuff perfectly!

In other news the Paypal claim for the BMWP air filter did the trick and I've got a refund. Would have been nice for the seller to respond at some point though!
E81 130i | Build Thread

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Nicely.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nyxeris » Wed May 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Quick job this morning - gloss black kidneys. Also added a couple of little vinyl decals to the badge to test the water on blacking it out - quite like it tbh.

M3 LCAs turned up today too, added to the pile. It's getting bigger...
Last edited by Nyxeris on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E81 130i | Build Thread

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Wed May 22, 2019 11:00 pm

The steering wheel looks fabulous :)
Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nyxeris » Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 am

Octavius wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:00 pm
The steering wheel looks fabulous :)
Very happy with it, especially with the BMWP insert!
E81 130i | Build Thread

Twenny

Re: E81 130i with stuff[emoji769]

Post by Twenny » Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 pm

Some very nice subtle mods there buddy.

Looking very very nice.
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Thu May 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Looking good there will be following, I need the alpine kit in mine :mrgreen:
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's,Carbotech pads.

sitruc_nuahs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sitruc_nuahs » Thu May 30, 2019 11:28 pm

Looks blooming lovely. Also want to do the Alpine kit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The one I wish I hadn't sold: E87 LCI 130i in Titan Silver > Adaptive Xenon / Shadowline / Black Leather / F&R PDC / CDV Mod / Camber Pin / E82 Front End / 216M Motorsport Wheels / 135i Backbox

Gone: E87 123d, E92 325i, E92 325d

Nyxeris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nyxeris » Fri May 31, 2019 8:58 am

Twenny wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 pm
Some very nice subtle mods there buddy.

Looking very very nice.
Much obliged. Already keeping an eye on your topic, not sure I’ll be going full murdered out on a hatchback lol, but your coupe looks stunning!
E81 130i | Build Thread

Return to “Members Cars”