Baby BMW Forum banner

GR Yaris

19K views 215 replies 30 participants last post by  terminator x 
#1 ·
Went to see what all the hype is about today, unfortunately only about 30mins behind the wheel.

It's better than I expected TBH, watched a fair few reviews and wasn't expecting to be as impressed.

Seat should be lower but at 6'5" I fit fine.

Piped sounds even more ott than BMWs of late.

Not sure if I'll order one, having a think about it though.

See less See more
#3 ·
Mucus said:
Isn't it great that car enthusiasts like us are being spoilt for choice at the moment :)
Not really! This is one of the few cars that are real driver's cars. I've seen the Golf GTi and R mk8s and I'm pretty underwhelmed tbh. The M340i doesn't really do it for me as a driver's car but I'd need test one first. I'm looking at changing from my current Golf R but I'm stuck for what to go for. A35 Merc certainly doesn't appeal as aside from the tech, it's not a step on from my Golf - plus it's overpriced. Decisions, decisions........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Im holding off test driving as im pretty sure i will want one and it doesnt fit with life at moment, im hoping the used values in a year are sensible and it doesnt hold its money toooo well just yet!!

#5 ·
Have a deposit down on one but still waiting for a test drive to know if I'll follow through with purchase. Trouble is I love my M135i now it's on B12 kit so kinda hoping the GR doesn't 'speak' to me when driven.
On paper it does seem pretty special though...

#6 ·
swanny71 said:
Have a deposit down on one but still waiting for a test drive to know if I'll follow through with purchase. Trouble is I love my M135i now it's on B12 kit so kinda hoping the GR doesn't 'speak' to me when driven.
On paper it does seem pretty special though...
First world problems :D

#7 ·
I've really liked the look of these and would love to drive one but that interior is awful.. I thought it was a bit cheap inside from pictures but this really highlights it. Looks like cheap plastic everywhere, dull dials and a black Etch a Sketch looking screen stuck on the dash.

#8 ·
Good news is the circuit pack components can be retrofitted either in whole or piecemeal to a non circuit pack car. Hopefully, GRY ASD will have a 2JZ option to dupe the senses to match the gusto, as std car's exhaust note sounds as inspiring as a desk fan, c/o eu6 cats/OPF.....

#9 ·
Blind Pugh said:
Good news is the circuit pack components can be retrofitted either in whole or piecemeal to a non circuit pack car. Hopefully, GRY ASD will have a 2JZ option to dupe the senses to match the gusto, as std car's exhaust note sounds as inspiring as a desk fan, c/o eu6 cats/OPF.....
Interesting stuff. But if you had a 'basic' car, what would you fit from the circuit pack?

#10 ·
Mucus said:
Blind Pugh said:
Interesting stuff. But if you had a 'basic' car, what would you fit from the circuit pack?
Tyres MPS4S
Torsen diffs F&R
Depending aftermarket suspensions - probably opt for coilovers rather than CP springs/dampers

#11 ·
Blind Pugh said:
Mucus said:
Blind Pugh said:
Tyres MPS4S
Torsen diffs F&R
Depending aftermarket suspensions - probably opt for coilovers rather than CP springs/dampers
You're making my mouth water! :D

#12 ·
I do wonder how necessary the diffs really are. 260ft lbs and 260 bhp isn't a huge amount through 4 wheels, unless you're on a loose surface or into wet B road hairpins.
Not seen any reviews of the non circuit pack Yaris, but I bet there's not much difference in fun or speeds between either car on the typical UK back roads where they should be really good and quick.

#13 ·
Chapscrap said:
I do wonder how necessary the diffs really are. 260ft lbs and 260 bhp isn't a huge amount through 4 wheels, unless you're on a loose surface or into wet B road hairpins.
Not seen any reviews of the non circuit pack Yaris, but I bet there's not much difference in fun or speeds between either car on the typical UK back roads where they should be really good and quick.
I have seen reviews of the standard car. The conclusion is broadly in line with your speculation. If you do lots of track days, you'll probably need the diffs. If you don't and don't drive at ten tenths on the road, you probably don't. :)

#14 ·
I'll have to look through the reviews again.
Tbh I'm really tempted to put a deposit on one, unfortunately moving and the uncertainties of the budget for that, and the fact I'm about to buy another bike, means I'll have to continue dreaming.
It's probably a good job I've cancelled driving it, as I have a feeling that sensible would go out the window😳.
Anyway I've now got the joy of dealing with insurance companies etc to keep me busy.

#15 ·
Chapscrap said:
Pure speculation but hear goes: -

- I think default mode (60:40 F:R split) inherent DSC-esque systems will probably be dominant - perhaps the boffins at GR have coded DSC SW to be able to mimick lockers, aka e-LSD ?

- In both other modes (Sport 30:70 and track 50:50), the DSC intervention levels are probably tweaked differently to non LSD car to allow LSDs to be dominant, based on speed yaw and throttle ?

- GR selecting Torsen as oem LSDs hints at - perhaps - an adaptive torque split F&R. IIRC, Torsen (vs Drexler clutch) type LSDs are more transitional in the way they engage.

#16 ·
Mucus said:
Blind Pugh said:
Mucus said:
Tyres MPS4S
Torsen diffs F&R
You're making my mouth water! :D
Mucus - TBH at that price point, if I had choice of new GRY or used M2, I know which I'd choose. However, I'm biased :wink: BP

#17 ·
iladtani said:
I've really liked the look of these and would love to drive one but that interior is awful.. I thought it was a bit cheap inside from pictures but this really highlights it. Looks like cheap plastic everywhere, dull dials and a black Etch a Sketch looking screen stuck on the dash.
It's not nearly as bad in reality as you'd think, certainly in comparison with 1/2 series anyway.

#19 ·
iladtani said:
My thoughts entirely.

At least the dials look clear, and it may look better at night, unless it features the pretty common Japanese approach to instrument illumination that seems to feature LEDs from 1970s Casio calculators. I had a Mazda CX3 hire car earlier this year that was awful in that regard.

--

#22 ·
Watched a YouTube vid of a gr at brands earlier, and tbh I don't think I could stand the 3 cylinder thrummy engine noise, it reminds me too much of a Corsa that I used to teach in.
It is a fabulous bit of modern bespoke / parts bin engineering though. I wonder if mods could take it to 300hp/300 ft lbs reliably? This would improve the power to weight ratio, which is already pretty good at nearly 200bhp/tonne, but not as good as our cars.
It's already a bit of a rev happy thing, which may indicate its on the edge of long term reliability though, M140 is c115bhp/litre, and very understressed, GR is already over 160bhp/litre, so there may not be an easy way to safely increase it.

#23 ·
Chapscrap said:
Watched a YouTube vid of a gr at brands earlier, and tbh I don't think I could stand the 3 cylinder thrummy engine noise, it reminds me too much of a Corsa that I used to teach in.
It is a fabulous bit of modern bespoke / parts bin engineering though. I wonder if mods could take it to 300hp/300 ft lbs reliably? This would improve the power to weight ratio, which is already pretty good at nearly 200bhp/tonne, but not as good as our cars.
It's already a bit of a rev happy thing, which may indicate its on the edge of long term reliability though, M140 is c115bhp/litre, and very understressed, GR is already over 160bhp/litre, so there may not be an easy way to safely increase it.
Modern manufacturing techniques and synthetic oils mean 160/litre is not highly stressed. AMG deliver 200+/litre and meet Mercedes Benz durability standards. :)

#24 ·
There is no need to increase the stock power for the sort of roads and driving it's designed for, and unlike an M140, it can put all of that power down all of the time. People are obsessed about more power being better. Just IMO of course :)

You might have a point about the engine though as servicing is every 6k miles or 1 year whichever comes first. That's not a problem for me, but clearly it wouldn't make sense as a daily motorway drive. The upside is that Toyota servicing is roughly half the price of BMW.

#25 ·
True enough, I was thinking more internally, piston and rod material etc, head/block joint and design. I would guess, (but don't know) they're running a simple turbocharger and quite high boost levels, as all the power seems to be over 4K rpm.
No doubt someone will try, if they haven't already.
I'm purposely avoiding driving one, as I've a horrible feeling that it would suit where and how I drive about perfectly.😇

#26 ·
markm240i said:
There is no need to increase the stock power for the sort of roads and driving it's designed for, and unlike an M140, it can put all of that power down all of the time. People are obsessed about more power being better. Just IMO of course :)
Agreed. My car makes 500, does 0-60 in whatever, blah blah. Lots of irrelevant bs imo.

Power to weight is an important part for me, (and the 100-200 for real world usability)
In the right conditions, and when it hooks up, my (standard engined) car has it about right for me, at c240bhp/tonne, with the advantage of usable torque from c2.5k rpm. In the wet it's a different story, when it simply has too much of most things, except grip and traction!

The standard GR is less than 200bhp/tonne, with little torque below c4k rpm. That is noticeable, and I'd find it frustrating, particularly knowing that with 4wd it could be so much quicker across country, irrespective of conditions and how much earlier I could get on the power exiting corners etc, that's why I'd look at more power, if I buy one.

Which I probably won't.
As I'm not going to test drive one😇.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.