Baby BMW Forum banner

Just when you thought it couldn't be worse - BMW ix

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  pje16 
#1 ·
This thing looks erm...I have literally no words. I thought the 3 and 4 series were bad. What do you think of it?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
You know when concept cars are made and you think "oh that will look fantastic" but it ends up looking nothing like it, if they even bother building it? Well in this case where you really wish it looked completely different or they just didn't bother [emoji38] . I love my Bm's but I'm struggling with what I would get next. Not a BMW I suspect.

#9 ·
If I particularly wanted an electric SUV, mechanically it sounds quite good, if rather spendy.

Would I buy a car that taken the worst bits of an X2 and mashed them up with the worst bits of an M3, erm NO.

For that budget, Jag I-Pace for me. A Hyundai Kona is more likely in reality, not that I'd enjoy any of them.

#10 ·
marco_polo said:
If I particularly wanted an electric SUV, mechanically it sounds quite good, if rather spendy.

Would I buy a car that taken the worst bits of an X2 and mashed them up with the worst bits of an M3, NO.

For that budget, Jag I-Pace for me. A Hyundai Kona is more likely in reality, not that I'd enjoy any of them.
It's a shame because as you say, mechanically the new crop coming out are very good, just a shame that thought never made it to the exterior of the cars.

#11 ·
I don't think the design team fought hard enough to keep the essence of the concept, and most likely the engineers and aero guys walked all over them.

They need stronger design management backing and I think it's severely lacking right now, as seen by their current production models (Asia market led and very watered down products in terms of design, I just don't see them as leaders anymore.)

To say I'm disappointed in BMW design over the last 3 years isn't an exaggeration, it all went south in my eyes when Karim Habib jumped ship.

#12 ·
#13 ·
It's ****ing awful. Truly awful.

Even my BMW's current design standards, this is a new low which is a shame because mechanically it sounds like a very good car if a bit spendy.

The interior isn't m if better; the idrive controller looks like an ash tray! :lol2:

#14 ·
Just read this in the above link "The BMW iX shows how we can give new technologies a very modern and emotional design." Well that's very true, the design has made me very emotional [emoji38] the last time I felt like this, I had seen a fiat multipla for the first time.

Sent using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Nyxeris said:
Design aside, whoever's running the marketing for this needs to be helped out of the door sharpish. Bloody awful attempt at being 'edgy'.
Someone from BMW was telling people to be open minded and embrace change on Twitter when it went down like a lead balloon.

#18 ·
SamM140 said:
Nyxeris said:
Design aside, whoever's running the marketing for this needs to be helped out of the door sharpish. Bloody awful attempt at being 'edgy'.
Someone from BMW was telling people to be open minded and embrace change on Twitter when it went down like a lead balloon.
They keep saying that, same thing about the 3/4 series grills.

I don't think they realise that vast swathes of loyal customers are starting to look elsewhere.

I've been a BMW fanboy for years, but really not liking much of what they are making now - they somehow seem to make things that start looking dated almost straight away - I even find the latest X3 looks dated.

Whereas Audi seem to be stepping the game up with design, the new A4 series are lovely looking angular things.

#19 ·
OneTwenty said:
SamM140 said:
Nyxeris said:
They keep saying that, same thing about the 3/4 series grills.

I don't think they realise that vast swathes of loyal customers are starting to look elsewhere.

I've been a BMW fanboy for years, but really not liking much of what they are making now - they somehow seem to make things that start looking dated almost straight away - I even find the latest X3 looks dated.

Whereas Audi seem to be stepping the game up with design, the new A4 series are lovely looking angular things.
I'm the same. As a fanboy, I'm finding the current designs massively off putting. They've mastered the art of making some very very ugly cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.