Baby BMW Forum banner

Renault Megane RS 275 Cup S

7K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Alex_6n2 
#1 ·
Before buying the M140i I was considering getting a Renault Megnae RS 275 Cup S.

Yesterday I drove behind one on the way home from the supermarket. The driver must have heard the growl from my 6pot when we drove under a bridge. Once a car ahead of him cleared, he pinned it and disappeared into the distance through two roundabouts with confidence and cornering pace that I would not be able to pull off in my car.

I don't do street racing and didn't follow in pursuit but I was mighty impressed by how the car moved as it's rare to see cars move like wasps. Cornering performance of the Renault is simply in a different league to my M140i.

The Cup 275 is an impressive car and can be considered a working-class man's 911 GT3. I don't regret not buying it because it's more single-minded in its purpose than the M140i which keeps happy 85% of the time.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had one to replace my M135i. The chassis / damping / traction / lateral grip / handling / feedback is indeed in a different league.
Having said that, I chose it because I was doing more and more track days. As a pure road car, the BMW is still a better choice for a variety of reasons, few of them relating to driving dynamics. I don't believe it makes much sense to spend tons of money trying to make the M Lite a competitor to the Renault for track use.
I am hoping that the M2 will be kind of the best of both worlds.

#3 ·
nickfrog said:
I had one to replace my M135i. The chassis / damping / traction / lateral grip / handling / feedback is indeed in a different league.
Having said that, I chose it because I was doing more and more track days. As a pure road car, the BMW is still a better choice for a variety of reasons, few of them relating to driving dynamics. I don't believe it makes much sense to spend tons of money trying to make the M Lite a competitor to the Renault for track use.
I am hoping that the M2 will be kind of the best of both worlds.
You currently have an M2. Does it feel like best of both worlds?

#4 ·
I don't know yet as my first track day at Donington got cancelled in March just 2 days before it was due...
And Ring trip end of May is now very unlikely...
Until I have tracked it, it's difficult to say but the first signs are positive, at mere road speed and lateral load.

#5 ·
nickfrog said:
I don't know yet as my first track day at Donington got cancelled in March just 2 days before it was due...
And Ring trip end of May is now very unlikely...
Until I have tracked it, it's difficult to say but the first signs are positive, at mere road speed and lateral load.
I look forward to a write up when you have had the chance to track it. To be honest I would love a single-minded track toy with cheap consumables. Hopefully it will be possible in 2 years when I've unshackled my bank account from nursery fees.

#6 ·
Fiat enough!! The M2 is not going to be cheap to run on track compared to the Meganes sadly, but I only do 6 track days a year plus a Ring trip. Its also my daily. I am retiring in 4 years so my track plans will be somewhat different then as I will be unshackled from the daily duties and can have a lighter more focused toy.

#7 ·
Don't forget some of it comes down to how many liberties you're / a driver is willing to take on public roads.

RS cars are always mighty impressive, but I do struggle with the looks of the latest ones. I'd definitely have an R26R in my garage though.

#8 ·
Yes sure, the limiting factors will always be line of sight, survival and licence conservation on the road.
The current one is lovely in the flesh, despite the 5 doors. It looks like a hatch version of the M2, what with the wide tracks and wings.

#9 ·
Undoubtedly very fast and in the wet are obscene but are they a step too far? Ive heard they are pretty uncompromising for the road and not quite up to Caterfield levels on track, I also find I reach the limits of FWD pretty quick on a trackday but not driven anything this savage, also be interested in feedback.

#10 ·
Well not much is up to Caterham levels in fairness. And the 275 Cup is not great for anything longer than a short commute or journeys to the track. The 280 / 300 on the other hand is more versatile without losing much focus, the ride has become acceptable with the hydraulic bump stops and it handles at least as well courtesy of the 4 wheel steer.

#11 ·
nickfrog said:
The current one is lovely in the flesh, despite the 5 doors.
IMO it's one of the best looking hatchbacks ever. I have seen it in red, orange and glorious yellow.

I haven't driven one but ruled it out because of the mixed reviews on the rear wheel steering.

#12 ·
Yes and that's mainly because it takes a few miles to recalibrate and adapt your inputs and most journos don't have a clue.

But once you get it, it's just brilliant, makes the car neutral and preserves the front tyres.

#13 ·
nickfrog said:
Yes sure, the limiting factors will always be line of sight, survival and licence conservation on the road.
The current one is lovely in the flesh, despite the 5 doors. It looks like a hatch version of the M2, what with the wide tracks and wings.

It's a car that looks better in the flesh than in pictures in my opinion, but I don't find the design as appealing as the original RS Meganes. I'm a big fan of RS cars but the design of the base cars is a bit squiffy these days in my opinion. I know they're all about the way they drive, but I want to look at a car and think, 'yeah, I like that'.

#14 ·
I was mighty impressed by a 265 I was let loose at Cadwell in, my little write up below... They make a compelling road and track car without many/any mods but my for my tastes the more grown up and premium nature of the 140 makes it the more appealing daily drive.

'Towards the end of the day I was lucky enough to get a session in the driver's seat, I did test drive a 265 when they came out and I've always liked them, so was excited to 'throw' one around Cadwell and see how they feel approaching the limit.

Tom's car (I think I recall correctly) is standard other than springs, spacers, proper brakes, a silencer delete and aftermarket wheels shod with Uniroyal Rainsport 3s.

And what a package it makes for! For a near standard hot hatch it's simply fantastic, as much power as you ever need and quick enough to play with almost anything, a beautifully balanced and eager chassis that feels thoroughly at home at the track and perfectly judged exhaust noise with enough character to entertain without being intrusive!

One thing that really stood out to me (and came as something of a surprise having spanked my more heavily prepared Clio 200 with toe out at the rear around the same track), was just how easily and beautifully the rear axle rotates. For a front wheel drive car it was just a joy, no laryness (though I'm sure it's there if you want it), the rear just does exactly what you want it too, gently turning with a little lift and helping dive towards the apex when trail braking... then it's over to the diff! 😊

What a cracking car and a thoroughly enjoyable drive at my favourite circuit!'

#15 ·
Matt Scarbro said:
They make a compelling road and track car without many/any mods but my for my tastes the more grown up and premium nature of the 140 makes it the more appealing daily drive.
I've been torn about what to do about cars! I really like the Megane but I'm not a fan of the interior for living with as a daily and the same goes for the Honda Civic Type R.

I run a nicely prepped Clio 200 cup for track but its currently SORN so decided to take my standard m140i at Oulton today and I've fallen back in love with it and I was keeping up with my mates 550HP M5

I think I'm going to list the Clio 200 and get it sold and do some upgrades on the 1 for the next track day.

on a side note, I use to read great reviews on getting the M4 pads but I can't find any posts about them now.. are they rated ?

#17 ·
marco_polo said:
M4 pads are fast-road pads really, I wouldn't use them on Track myself - unless you're happy with short stints.
I would be up for improving the braking performance on my car. What do you recommend? FYI I will unlikely track my car.

#18 ·
Tiberius said:
marco_polo said:
M4 pads are fast-road pads really, I wouldn't use them on Track myself - unless you're happy with short stints.
I would be up for improving the braking performance on my car. What do you recommend? FYI I will unlikely track my car.
M2 / M4 (Textar) Pads are GF rated, so they'll feel more aggressive at normal temperatures (vs the standard FF rated Jurids). Obviouly at high temp (Track) they'll be no better than stock, but that doesn't apply to you. Guaranteed OEM quality, and BMW stamped, so the least likely to give you any warranty/insurance headaches.

Current formulation Yellowstuff aren't very subtle looking, but tried and tested for fast road use. One chap on here was recommending the GG rated Ceramic Akebono's, but I've not tried those myself.

#19 ·
I had a relatively low mileage 265 Cup in perfect condition for a couple of years before my 130i. I loved it and still think about it a lot! I only moved on from it as I began a new job that meant I was starting to do a lot more mileage and I wanted to experience an NA 6 cylinder before they disappeared.

The handling was incredible; it reacted instantly and there was a lot of grip and no real roll. My 130i feels sluggish and slow to react in comparison.

Here are the photos I used to sell it to K-Tec:

#22 ·
I had a 275 Cup-S before my M135i, did the same dance as Nick and came to the same conclusions

Meg is way better on track. BMW shows it weight, brakes (stock) are terrible and lateral grip/confidence is so much lower

But the BMW is far better as a road car, hence why I switched. I spend far more time on the road than the track

BMW are very good at delivering on a product brief and so are Renault Sport. Both cars do their respective jobs very well

I am tempted to buy another Megane and use that as my track day car. Either that or get an M3 to try and split the difference.

#23 ·
They are both hatch backs, and I'm assuming the Renault isn't built using magic?? Surely if anyone was that bothered an M140 could be made to handle just as well if you upgraded the bits to match the Renault???

Back in the old days, you just tuned whichever car you wanted to go faster and handle better and it did just that, rally cars, touring cars etc. Anything could be made to go, stop and handle better.

I do like those Meganes though, lovely things to look at!!

#24 ·
OneTwenty said:
They are both hatch backs, and I'm assuming the Renault isn't built using magic?? Surely if anyone was that bothered an M140 could be made to handle just as well if you upgraded the bits to match the Renault???
And if you spent the same time and money on the Renault? ;)

Its 200KG lighter, has an LSD as standard and adjustable Ohlins as a factory extra - its so much more focused than the M140 I think even with £££ spent youd struggle to get close. This is from firsthand experience chasing them in a sorted E82, they are pretty damn awesome.

#25 ·
docwra said:
OneTwenty said:
And if you spent the same time and money on the Renault? ;)

Its 200KG lighter, has an LSD as standard and adjustable Ohlins as a factory extra - its so much more focused than the M140 I think even with £££ spent youd struggle to get close. This is from firsthand experience chasing them in a sorted E82, they are pretty damn awesome.
Yes they are totally different in stock form, the Renault would outdo an M140 on track.

However, I don't always subscribe to this theory about certain cars, and that nothing can match them. When people say an M2 or M3 can't be matched by anything even with money thrown at it, as if they have some sort of pure magic in them that makes it impossible to match.

End of the day, they are just cars with 4 wheels - with enough money anything can be made to handle and work. My reference to the BTCC - they can take any saloon or hatch and make it into a race car, they don't only focus on specific models with magic ingredients.

I'm sure a race prep team could take an M140 and make it out handle anything.

#26 ·
Alex_6n2 said:
I had a 275 Cup-S before my M135i, did the same dance as Nick and came to the same conclusions
Tiberius said:
I look forward to a write up when you have had the chance to track it.
Alex, to describe the next step into the journey towards the ultimate affordable trackable daily ran as quasi-OE and to answer your question Tib, in a nutshell, the M2 is proving to be an amalgamation of the best bits of the Meg and of the M135i without much of their downsides. The best of both worlds really.

All it needed so far was pads (DS1.11 which are fine on the road). Will get some 640M wheels and 18' AD08R next year.

After Snet in October and Cadwell this week, it's a keeper. It has the high quality response and control of the Meg with the performance of the M135i, and for a a modest weight penalty, which is in itself offset by better weight distribution. It is very pointy, yet relatively tractable.

But it also works as a daily in a way the Meg couldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.