Baby BMW Forum banner

Best oil to use BMW 123d ?

9K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  KAOS REAL 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

This has probably already been discussed massively so apologies in advance.

My cars due a service and I cannot quite afford it this month, after recently buying a house and spending everything on that; I've decided to do it myself so I have a few questions.

Easy to do ?
What's the best / recommended oil to use ?
Red commended places to purchase the necessary filters from?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Will need to know date of build for your car as the type of oil required varies.
Be helpful to add these details to your forum signature as will save you having to specify it again in the future.

#4 ·
Euro car parts have a sale on at the minute with 25% off.

Oil filter approx £8
6 litres of oil (you'll have extra) about £40 I use Castrol Edge 5w30 meets LLO4 standard as required although not sure about 2007 models

#7 ·
You need 10w60 for a 2007 built car.

#8 ·
Hi guys,

I've got a June 2010 123d Coupe. I see from above that different types of oil are being used.

What would you reccommend for my car? If it makes a difference I've got P-Torque software and DPF delete.

Will I need to replace the microfilter too?

Thanks in advance

#23 ·
marco_polo said:
From 08/08 they need LL04 like the rest of us.

LL04 comes in a few grades, 5w30 is usually the cheapest, factory fill would have been 5.2L of Castrol Edge 0w30.
Hi Marco I have a question on this. Just picked up a 123d and its prod date is 01.09.2008. How stringent is the 08/08 cut-off? It's currenlty got 5w30 in it but i want to put 0w30 in it.

And can i use Longlife-12 FE SAE 0W-30 as BMW Shop UK offers.

#25 ·
tpt2016 said:
marco_polo said:
From 08/08 they need LL04 like the rest of us.

LL04 comes in a few grades, 5w30 is usually the cheapest, factory fill would have been 5.2L of Castrol Edge 0w30.
Hi Marco I have a question on this. Just picked up a 123d and its prod date is 01.09.2008. How stringent is the 08/08 cut-off? It's currenlty got 5w30 in it but i want to put 0w30 in it.

And can i use Longlife-12 FE SAE 0W-30 as BMW Shop UK offers.
I think oil grade depends with usage and mileage of the car as the car hits around 100-110k ppl generally switch to 0w 30

use LL04 to be safe.Often these engines were made time before they were put in. I use LL04 and my 118d-N47 58 plate- has 168k miles on original timing chain and tensioner only oil was done every 6 months or 8k miles using triple qx LL04 spec 5w30 from ecp

Personal preference tbh
But I'd stick with 5W 30 for my usage as the car has had it all its life from my knowledge.

Hope it helps u make a decision
Best,
Naliin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.