Baby BMW Forum banner

intermittent power loss 120D Auto.

913 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  marco_polo 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

My 2010 120D E82 Auto is misbehaving with a total lack of power every now and then from a standing start. It normally happens after I've been at speed for a while like driving on a motorway, get off at the junction, come to a stop and it then happens as I'm pulling off.

As you pull off the car splutters / misfires and won't rev higher than tick over. It coughs and splutters for several metres and then burst back into life and all is fine again. I think it is an issue getting off and above tick over, if I knock it into neutral a blip throttle, back in to drive its fine. If it was a manual car it wouldn't be as much of an issue but I've got an auto and no power as you pull off is a nightmare.

Does this issue ring any bells with anyone who can point me in the right direction please?

I should add that I've checked the rear reluctor rings and they both look clean with no raised area and no touching the sensors.

#3 ·
I bought BimmerLink and got the codes read, checking the battery showed it has seen better days.

The battery sits at 12.23v and runs at 14.45v when running.
BimmerLink show it at 33% charged after a 20 mile motorway commute.

Error memory.

12 Motor electronics
1 error
40E9: 40E9 exhaust gas recirculation control, position control

60 Instrument panel
1 error
A559: KL30g_f shutdown

72 Basic body module
2 errors
9CD5: Communication with Gurtbringer passenger side disturbed 9CD4: Communication with Gurtbringer driver side disturbed

I think the last two are me messing around in BimmerCode as these are seatbelt extenders that I haven't got.

Would the poor looking battery cause the power loss?
Cheers.

#4 ·
If you have Wahler EGR you have to cgange it. For test you can open it and grease, but this will not help for a long time. Here you have how to replace EGR:

If you would like to check ang grease it you have to remove plastic cover from EGR. You do not have tp remove it from engine, but it is hard to take iff civer without breaking ir. You will see that round thing under it. Ghis is blocking the EGR. Here you got movie after diessasembly. How it should work. It must work like on movie.

Good luck.

#5 ·
OK update, I fitted a new battery and all the fault codes have cleared and the EGR valve is now working correctly.

However I'm still getting an occasional cough and splutter when I've stopped after a run on the motorway.

Any suggestions to what it might be, or what to check?

#7 ·
Mine does the same every now and then. Not enough to bother me, although I do need to get it sorted. I'm pretty sure it's the EGR valve, and your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine. Ive also got a diesel auto. I've not had any fault codes though, and the fact you've had one for the EGR, only back up my theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Jay, thanks for your reply.

when I bought Bimmerlink I ran a DPF regen and cleared all the faults. The EGR wasn't working before regen and fault clearing and is now but it has only had the engine flutter once since.

Annoyingly the car doesn't feel as nice to drive low end revs now the EGR is working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.