Baby BMW Forum banner

E87/E81 aero rear spoiler..

3K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  MED 
#1 ·
What's the going rate for these at the moment. ? I know they're discontinued and were around the 170 mark last year from cotswold. Have they gone silly like the BMWP parts.?

And also does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost to prep and paint a spoiler.? I'm guessing 150 odd, does that sound about right.?

I might have the opportunity on a new genuine unpainted spoiler, and I'm try to gauge what the final cost could be.

Thanks chaps..

#2 ·
I asked Cotswold in mid 2019 and genuines were sold out then, so I bought a knock-off from Kawka Tuning. Cost me £70 posted (pre-Brexit), and was as good a fit as any genuine ones I've seen.

I wouldn't pay over the odds for genuine, once it's on and painted it's part of the car, unlikely to come off without damage.

Painted it myself so can't help there!

#3 ·
Cheers Nyxeris.
I've been very tempted by the copies.. But hear many issues of them being pretty ropey, needing a fair amount of prep before painting as they seem to be fibreglass rather than plastic.
Lets see what the guy wants for this genuine one. I can't imagine the 'project' being less than than 300 for the spoiler and bodyshop painting to make it perfect. :eek2:

#4 ·
I'd have been happy with that kind of money for a genuine one!

If you search Kawka on here there's a lot of good feedback, I bought from him based on that and wasn't at all disappointed. Fit was great, came primed, just gave it a rub down before painting/fitting. Definitely read some horror stories about other sellers though!

#6 ·
MED said:
Cheers Nyxeris.
I've been very tempted by the copies.. But hear many issues of them being pretty ropey, needing a fair amount of prep before painting as they seem to be fibreglass rather than plastic.
Lets see what the guy wants for this genuine one. I can't imagine the 'project' being less than than 300 for the spoiler and bodyshop painting to make it perfect. :eek2:
£149 Sytner Leicster in August, got it painted for £60, well happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I've managed to bag the new genuine spoiler I mentioned at the start, so I'm a happy lad now :D
Now to arrange collection/delivery once lockdown eases and then off to the spray shop. Exciting.

I tried Sytner last week, they dont have any, no surprise tbh.
'BMW Parts' list them and you can add to the basket but once you enter your VIN it shows no stock, well that was the case last week...

The aero spoiler is now harder to find than any BMWP parts it seems .. :lol2:

#8 ·
MED said:
I've managed to bag the new genuine spoiler I mentioned at the start, so I'm a happy lad now :D
Now to arrange collection/delivery once lockdown eases and then off to the spray shop. Exciting.

I tried Sytner last week, they dont have any, no surprise tbh.
'BMW Parts' list them and you can add to the basket but once you enter your VIN it shows no stock, well that was the case last week...

The aero spoiler is now harder to find than any BMWP parts it seems .. :lol2:
More so than the exhaust or carbon air intake?

#9 ·
Quite possible. At least with the intake and exhasut they can be removed and sold on.
The spoiler can make a right mess of both itself and the boot lid depending on what adhesive was used, so they tend to stay with the car for it's life.

#10 ·
I tried Kawka but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. If anyone knows where to get one of these from, that would be great. What is the recommended glue to use for installation?

#14 ·
Mine was the same, I didn't use anything else because I thought I might remove it if I parted with the car but after a good while it lifted a little on the o/s end where it bends down. It is slightly sprung at in that area. I had to carefully slide some extra strong tape under. I would say it is better to use something in addition to their tape to be on the safe side and who would sell an original 1'er shape now anyway, they are classic.😁

#15 ·
I've spoken to BMW and to Kawka, as I am desperate for one too!

The genuine items are out of stock from BMW - there are no more.

Kawka has issues with delivery, which means the price to the UK is outrageous.

I am also contacting other Ebay sellers who appear to have fibreglass spoilers that are shown or described as being pre-primed. I'm quite wary as a nearby bodyshop has already warned me about the potential for poor fit and finish with replica fibreglass items.

#16 ·
I hear the problem also with fibreglass is the fact they need to be sanded and prepped before any painting. Add to that the potential fitting issues and you could be a right pickle.
The plastic moulded ones are ready to be painted, no sanding required.

#17 ·
Yes I agree. The Kawka spoiler is fibreglass, but comes pre-prepped and primed so would hopefully lessen the need for sanding and prep work.

The problem is that now all the replica spoilers appear to be fibreglass. I've not been able to find any plastic moulded spoilers, which I was advised to by a local bodyshop.

#18 ·
^^ Yep, you got it..
All the current copies (from what ive found) are fibreglass rather than moulded. The FG ones require extra sandaing apparently to make perfect even though they appear to be flat and clean, they rarely are once painting exposes all the lumps and bumps.

#21 ·
After exchanging emails with the manufacturer and getting some positive feedback on the 130i facebook group I have ordered one of the RDX spoilers. My local bodyshop is happy to take a look at it to make sure it is suitable for paint and will fit well before doing any work.

It is a bit longer than the genuine article, but it should still fit the OEM+ kind of look my car has with different wheels and larger brakes.

For reference here is what the manufacturer says about the material (via Google Translate):

PUR-IHS is the abbreviation for polyurethane integral rigid foam. Often also abbreviated as PU-HS, PU-IHS, PUR-HS, PUR-IHS. 2-component hard foam plastic that is injected into a closed production tool (mold) at high pressure via reaction injection molding (reaction injection molding). The foam spreads in the mold, colloquially rises and fills the production tool. After hardening, the material is hard inside and out. This material is used for thick-walled parts such as roof / rear spoilers that are not supposed to be particularly flexible. The surface of the parts is hard, closed-pore and easy to paint, but the foam-like material density inside does not make the spoiler unnecessarily heavy. RDX parts made of PUR-IHS are very high quality, easy to paint and shatterproof. The original accessories of the automobile manufacturers are mainly made from this material.

#24 ·
Well this is it...

I have no experience with bodywork, but as there are some inconsistencies in its current state, I would assume it needs finishing (filling and sanding?) before any priming and paint. There are also a few marks and bumps cause by poor packaging.

I've not yet had the opportunity to hold it up to my car to see how the fit is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.