Baby BMW Forum banner

Blinking check engine light and rough idle

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dano1bfc 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 116i (N43B16A). I got home after a longer journey, and at idle the car started to shake (really noticeably) and the check engine light started flashing. I turned the car off, and after a few minutes turned it back on. The same hapenned, until I gave it some gas. I had to drive another 10 kilometers, and the car was driving just as before, without any problems. Then I let the car idle for some time, and it did so without any issue. I had my engine apart (bearings and timing chain change) about 5k kilometers ago. Since then, I noticed the shake a few times, but not as violent and not as long lasting as this time. Could this he caused by something serious?

#3 ·
When I picked up my 120i and filled up a new tank of petrol and some redex (didn't have any petrol at all at dealer) this also happened to mine after a short drive back from them. I was on the way back to the dealer to have it looked at and it stopped. Checked on Carly OBD tool and the only thing flagged was a misfire in cylinder 3. I put mine down to that or the fact the car had sat for god knows how long with an empty tank and filling it caused a load of **** into my engine

#4 ·
Hey,

Is it hunting for revs , and if u plant your foot in say 3rd between 1.5k - 2k revs does it hesitate then pick up?

As it's an early lci model the same as our previous 120i . I wouldn't rule out injectors which was it turned out was the fault on our previous car .

I'd start with sparks and coil packs first though .

If it's running a bit rough then it can only be one of three things really , fuel spark or air . Have u got the ccid code?

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.