Baby BMW Forum banner

123d fuel pump upgrade?

13K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  wanting 
#1 ·
Hello.

Im interested to change my original 123d fuel pump to better one. I think some of you guys have done that upgrade?

To the point :D so which fuel pump CP4.2 or CP3 is going to fit n47 engine and does it fit perfectly(no modification needed to do actually fuel pump?)
Am i correct that cp4.2 Fp "full name" is CR/CP4S2/L70/40 ?

And what other mods is needed to do? Do i need to get 335d fuel rail? Cut it and weld it?

Sorry for bad english :)

#2 ·
Hi OP, Ive got the CP4.2 pump on mine. Took the rail and sensors with it from a doner X5 40d. Cut the rail down and had it welded. The high pressure fuel lines need forming into shape. The EGR pipe that runs to the intake manifold needs blanking and removing or reshaped because it fouls the second piston from the pump. Other than that, that's about it from memory.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
#5 ·
I've always wanted to do this, my problem is getting someone to fit, along with the fuel rail and map accordingly. Probably overdue a change now anyway.

#8 ·
MarkTe30 said:
Sorry to bump an old thread, has anyone on here done the upgrade themselves?
Hi Mark
I did this upgrade a couple months ago. It took me a couple of days to do and you need a special tool to hold the timing chain in place whilst you remove the fuel pump. If you don't have the special tool, I think you have to take the engine out. I'll try my best to answer any questions you have :)

#9 ·
Hi JW

Thanks for the response. I'm moving more towards getting a garage to do it due to this reason and also the potential fun and games when it comes to bleeding the fuel system again. I'm new to modern BMW's and I think this'd be a little much for me.

What I'm after is a definitive list of components required, the stuff that gets forgotten about if you could please. The cp4.2 pump from a 335d or x5 d40 and modified fuel rail are a given. What else did you need. The last thing I want to do is get someone to do it and they not have everything to finish the job in one go!

Secondly, have you had your car remapped and if so, what's it like? Is there much of a difference?

Many thanks
Mark

#11 ·
MarkTe30 said:
Hi JW

Thanks for the response. I'm moving more towards getting a garage to do it due to this reason and also the potential fun and games when it comes to bleeding the fuel system again. I'm new to modern BMW's and I think this'd be a little much for me.

What I'm after is a definitive list of components required, the stuff that gets forgotten about if you could please. The cp4.2 pump from a 335d or x5 d40 and modified fuel rail are a given. What else did you need. The last thing I want to do is get someone to do it and they not have everything to finish the job in one go!

Secondly, have you had your car remapped and if so, what's it like? Is there much of a difference?

Many thanks
Mark
A lot of people modify the N57 6 cylinder rail, but I just got another N47 rail; cut off and welded the end to my original rail.
The job involves taking the intake manifold off and deleting the EGR system. You will need:
EGR delete kit of your choice (I've never gotten one so I don't know who sells them, sorry)
The 2 fuel pipes that go from the pump to the rail
Intake manifold gaskets
A bottle of coolant (as deleting the EGR cooler will open the coolant circuit, might need a little top up)
O-rings for the intake pipe from the intercooler to the throttle (not required as such, but they sometimes cause boost leaks)

When I did this, I found the mount for my fuel pump didn't fit the bigger CP4.2. I don't know if there's one that fits to both the N47 and the CP4.2 unfortunately. I just attached the mount to the engine and filled the gap between the mount and the pump with foam tape so it was still secured. A lot of people also use this opportunity to delete the troublesome swirl flaps in the the manifold, I think BWChiptune do a delete kit for this.

I had my 2008 123d at 142,000miles remapped with a local tuner originally with just a dpf delete and bigger intercooler and it went from 190bhp to 225bhp. Then got it done again after the fuel pump upgrade and it went up to 260bhp and 380lbft, but it goes into limp mode sometimes. Now I'm looking to get it re-tuned at BWChiptune soon to sort this out.
I believe doing this upgrade on a 2010+ 123d can get up to around 300bhp but the older ones don't tend to make that kind of power. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
JW1999 said:
MarkTe30 said:
Hi JW

Many thanks
Mark
A lot of people modify the N57 6 cylinder rail, but I just got another N47 rail; cut off and welded the end to my original rail.
The job involves taking the intake manifold off and deleting the EGR system. You will need:
EGR delete kit of your choice (I've never gotten one so I don't know who sells them, sorry)
The 2 fuel pipes that go from the pump to the rail
Intake manifold gaskets
A bottle of coolant (as deleting the EGR cooler will open the coolant circuit, might need a little top up)
O-rings for the intake pipe from the intercooler to the throttle (not required as such, but they sometimes cause boost leaks)

When I did this, I found the mount for my fuel pump didn't fit the bigger CP4.2. I don't know if there's one that fits to both the N47 and the CP4.2 unfortunately. I just attached the mount to the engine and filled the gap between the mount and the pump with foam tape so it was still secured. A lot of people also use this opportunity to delete the troublesome swirl flaps in the the manifold, I think BWChiptune do a delete kit for this.

I had my 2008 123d at 142,000miles remapped with a local tuner originally with just a dpf delete and bigger intercooler and it went from 190bhp to 225bhp. Then got it done again after the fuel pump upgrade and it went up to 260bhp and 380lbft, but it goes into limp mode sometimes. Now I'm looking to get it re-tuned at BWChiptune soon to sort this out.
I believe doing this upgrade on a 2010+ 123d can get up to around 300bhp but the older ones don't tend to make that kind of power. Hope this helps.
Amazing. Thanks for such a comprehensive response!

#13 ·
Hi, I'am looking to do this on my 123d. Right now I'am looking for the fuel pump. I realised there are 2 types of pumps? When looking in RealOem at 535d F10 fuel pump the outputs are pointing at the front as you can see here. But when looking for a used ones in ebay I can find pumps with the outputs pointing at the front, but also ones that have the other output pointing at the back. Like in the example Which one is the correct one or does it really matter?

#14 ·
makkarabanaani said:
Hi, I'am looking to do this on my 123d. Right now I'am looking for the fuel pump. I realised there are 2 types of pumps? When looking in RealOem at 535d F10 fuel pump the outputs are pointing at the front as you can see here. But when looking for a used ones in ebay I can find pumps with the outputs pointing at the front, but also ones that have the other output pointing at the back. Like in the example Which one is the correct one or does it really matter?
Did you ever find out the answer to this question?

I'm looking to do this change also and I don't know which pump I need also if the head can be changed to point the same way as the pumps that have the outlets pointing in different directions are cheaper.

#15 ·
I got the pump awhile ago. Its been sitting on my shelf waiting...
Been doing other upgrade.
Full 3" exhaust
3"downpipe
Bigger intercooler and aluminum intake pipes
timing chain
new injectors

I believe you could change the head. That's what I'am going to do.
I bought a used one and rebuilt it with new seals and gaskets.
Going to do the upgrade this spring.

Anyone know why would the 2010 and up models make more power?

#16 ·
makkarabanaani said:
I got the pump awhile ago. Its been sitting on my shelf waiting...
Been doing other upgrade.
Full 3" exhaust
3"downpipe
Bigger intercooler and aluminum intake pipes
timing chain
new injectors

I believe you could change the head. That's what I'am going to do.
I bought a used one and rebuilt it with new seals and gaskets.
Going to do the upgrade this spring.

Anyone know why would the 2010 and up models make more power?
It might not be as simple as you say, I have seen some pumps that have only one internal channel to the head and if you rotate it that channel will not align with the hole in the pump head so it will not work.

From start HPFP is different in the new models allowing more fuel so more capable to produce more hp.

#17 ·
I'm aware of this. I need to buy another "head" for the other side that that the internal hole on the other side. Only problem is that you cant buy them new because bosch doesn't offer them you need to find a used one.

I think they have the same pump or at least they have exactly the same part number on RealOEM.

#18 ·
makkarabanaani said:
I'm aware of this. I need to buy another "head" for the other side that that the internal hole on the other side. Only problem is that you cant buy them new because bosch doesn't offer them you need to find a used one.

I think they have the same pump or at least they have exactly the same part number on RealOEM.
The pumps are not the same and part numbers are by that different, they are very similar they have the same fuel pressure but the hpfp from N57Z has more fuel flow than N57S one.

Difference is as from 123d to 125d hpfp, both use the dame fuel pressure, but 125d will have more fuel flow.

#20 ·
makkarabanaani said:
Ya those pumps are different. I was talking about why do people say that the 2010+ 123d would make more power? Like in the previous coments that says "I believe doing this upgrade on a 2010+ 123d can get up to around 300bhp but the older ones don't tend to make that kind of power."
As far as I have read taken as example Mike 123d earlier version and Typergaz 123d later version (+2010), they both got the car tuned by same house and the outcomes were different.

Typergaz car was able to get more hp with same hardware and same tuner, what Mike mentioned was related to air flow, you can see more details on this old topic
mike123d said:
I was getting 2.7 bar but for some reason Stan says the pre 2010 cars struggle to hit the same output as the post 2010 cars, believes it's down to air flow.
Boost pressure isn't the issue though it's the volume of air that the turbos air supplying, they just can't supply any more volume which results in a rich mixture and black smoke out the exhaust which even though I'm wanting the numbers I don't want it to be like a old cavalier diesel everytime I touch the right pedal, hence the hybrids to supply abit more volume.
Once fitted with a couple of other fueling mods it should be up there.
The part numbers of both turbos are the same, that I am aware no one was able until now to figured it out why later versions as +2010 are able to deliver more power, since turbos seem to be the same and not much big difference between them, just a few bits like EGR is no longer mechanical and is electrical, I believe also an extra sensor in the exhaust, but nothing that really point for a clue why...

#21 ·
That's what I have been wondering about. Hoping for around 300hp. At the moment the pump I have is from F10 530D (0 445 010 634), but I might be changing it because of the problem with the outlets. What would be the best possible pump for upgrade. One from N57z? I think the 550d has the "biggest" pump but you cant get one for a reasonable price.

#22 ·
That I am not sure which one will suite better in the N47 engine.

The pump from N57Z engine will have more fuel flow than the N57S engine, but not sure if it will suite better.

Also saw the ones from N57Z engine are cheaper than the ones from N57S engine, not sure about the reason behind that which might or not be due to their quality or just by the availability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.