Baby BMW Forum banner

1M audio options

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  PickleRick 
#1 ·
Hi all - looking at upgrading the sound in my "base" spec audio system in my 1M and need a little help from some lucky individual who already has the HK option!

I'm trying to understand what's possible while disturbing as little of the OEM look. I believe that with the HK option the 1M comes with a HK amp in the boot which has an optical connection (on the MOST bus). If that's the case then I should be able to achieve something similar: I could install an Audison DMI (to extract TOSLINK audio from the MOST bus) and fit an amp with a TOSLINK input (having re-coded the head unit to Top HiFi / HK). But I need to confirm that the MOST loop carries audio first...

Sooooo if anyone with a 1M with the Harman Kardon audio system would be so kind to tell me whether they have such an amp in the boot this would be very much appreciated. There should be an optical in AND out connection on the amp (perhaps this will be part of one plug). Perhaps if you're not sure what you're looking for you could take a photo?

As to whether anyone with the relatively rare combo of a 1M with HK audio will ready this... well let's see!

THANK YOU

See less See more
#2 ·
1M with HK here, been out and had a look.
No amp in the boot, under the floor or passenger side behind the wheel well. There is an unused bracket behind wheel well but a bit of a Google suggests this is where a 'standard' amp would live. Seems the HK amp lives inside the cabin, but sorry I don't really want start taking the trim apart inside.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.