Performance Driver 'Track' Day 6th May 17@Millbrook with CAT Driver training

Reach your car's potential. Fulfill your own. Get expert/insider technique from the leading authority on Vehicle Dynamics. Learn how your car works with knowledge & information you won't get anywhere else.

Moderators: CATDT, marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Performance Driver 'Track' Day 6th May 17@Millbrook with CAT Driver training

Post by SkyJawa »

Thanks for arranging it DR :headbanger:

foxterrier

Re: Performance Driver 'Track' Day 6th May 17@Millbrook with CAT Driver training

Post by foxterrier »

Would be very interested if a further day is organised :-)

olbm

Post by olbm »

Really worthwhile day. Now have much more confidence on the car knowing that you have to push it quite hard to lose grip and when it does it is predictable and manageable.

CAT did a great job, the instructors Colin and Paul took us through some theory before each exercise, then a demonstration run in one of their vehicles and then one on one tuition in our own cars. Jo looked after us with logistics, tea and coffee throughout the day. Thank you!

Nice to meet the others today, oh and to come home with a bottle of champagne :spotman: I'm sure we'll bump into each other at a meet soon.
M140i, MG, coral, HK, pro nav, adaptive suspension and headlights, Comfort + front PDC, speed limit info, heated seats, sun protection

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh »

Ditto to above and great to meet more BB forum folk.

Single input steer, observation, isolate and threshold braking - understand the why/how then put it into practice.

Lots to work on for me esp foot speed !

I got the entertainment prize for showing the virtues of an LSD at the skid pan !
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Performance Driver 'Track' Day 6th May 17@Millbrook with CAT Driver training

Post by SkyJawa »

Echo what's been said by the guys above. Really good to meet you all yesterday, nice to get together with other baby M enthusiasts.

Big thanks to Jo, Colin and Paul for a really useful informative day learning about car physics and dynamics then putting it into practice.

Playing with abs and threshold braking, line of sight, single input steering, high speed stability and sharp lane to lane manoeuvres, hairpins and alpine route then understanding the dsc systems and how they differ between modes which I found very useful.

As Oliver said above it's given me much more faith in my car, its grip levels and what it's capable of and where it lets go, I now love it even more than I already did. Truely a remarkable machine for the money which got high praise from Colin and Paul :)

Highlight of the day was defo BP attacking the first corner on the handling circuit, boy that was fun to watch, the man has some balls! :lol:

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh »

SkyJawa wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 am
Highlight of the day was defo BP attacking the first corner on the handling circuit, boy that was fun to watch, the man has some balls! :lol:
SkyJ

Thanks - north of a ton on the straight meant MPBBK ++ and F8x lower arms give the front MPSS's a good work out !!!

Colin was complimentary about the cars grunt, turn-in and front end grip.

BP
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Sun May 07, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AW M2 DCT

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS »

Tell us more guys!

For example, after I spent a day at Millbrook (back in Dec 2016), like you say, I left with much more respect and appreciation for the M135i to the extent I could not see the point of a 2.0 4WD hot hatch thing in terms of driver reward for carful, considered but fun driving. Let's not forget, a 4WD car can't steer or brake any better. Made me realise our cars are more Jekyll and Hyde than I thought. A great thing. Oh, and trail braking around the handling circuit was a revelation.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS »

Another thing, on a freezing cold December day, I'm not afraid to say that the Alpine circuit was a little terrifying!

P
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

tonyb15re
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tonyb15re »

SkyJawa wrote:
Echo what's been said by the guys above. Really good to meet you all yesterday, nice to get together with other baby M enthusiasts.

Big thanks to Jo, Colin and Paul for a really useful informative day learning about car physics and dynamics then putting it into practice.

Playing with abs and threshold braking, line of sight, single input steering, high speed stability and sharp lane to lane manoeuvres, hairpins and alpine route then understanding the dsc systems and how they differ between modes which I found very useful.

As Oliver said above it's given me much more faith in my car, its grip levels and what it's capable of and where it lets go, I now love it even more than I already did. Truely a remarkable machine for the money which got high praise from Colin and Paul :)

I see they didnt cover parking in boxes correctly :P

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh »

Paul

Colin and Paul were the instructors so 3 of us to each of them.

Taught us the theories then put them into practice.

Throttle pedal as a leveller to settle the car and to help steer the car through a combination of corners.

Threshold braking - "curling the toes" from a hard push as the speed decreases to avoid ABS kicking in.

Technique of line of sight and scanning back - I use this technique as a motorbiker. Saw the effect/benefits 1st hand in the car. Eyes up/you stay on the gas, eyes down you lift off. Look ahead where you want the car to go and that's where it will head. Banked bowl top lane at v high speed - look long to the LHS lane marking the car subtlety moves left. Look to the right and you'll be in the barrier !!

BP
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Sun May 07, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AW M2 DCT

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SkyJawa »

tonyb15re wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 11:16 am
SkyJawa wrote:

I see they didnt cover parking in boxes correctly :P
Lol! Cant comment on the others but mine was parked in the lines just a little rear overhang, like it's owner! :P

DigitalRogue
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by DigitalRogue »

Glad you found the day informative and this way you come away with knowledge and skills that you can put to good use on the road and track. Really want to throw caution to the wind and re order now :clap:

Here's to the next event on the 21st

roncee
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by roncee »

Thanks for organising DR, great day and a good place to learn the cars capabilities a controlled environment with expert tuition.
Echoing what was said that the car is very stable and very capable with the limits quite a bit higher than I had cohones for.
Great to see Millbrook as I have wanted to go for a long time. Have fun to those guys doing it later this month.

GaryWho

Post by GaryWho »

Thanks for the reviews and info, sounds like you had a great time.

It really does sound good. So pleased l got a late chance to do it, although I still feel for Digital Rogue that he had to drop out.

Really looking forward to the 21st. I think I am going to feel a bit nervous on the day thou.

Gary
'The Flyer': M135i LCI - Mineral Grey, Black Dakota Leather. Options Inc - Sport Auto Transmission, Adaptive M-Sport Suspension, Adaptive LED Headlights, Ext' Folding and Dimming Mirrors......

CATDT
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CATDT »

Hi All

Thank you for a great day on Saturday - you're a lovely bunch and created an enjoyable day for us all :) Good to read all your positive comments and know how much you benefited from your training. Congratulations to the winners on the day:

Driver of the Day = Nik
Gymkhana Fastest Time of the Day = olbm with 45.12 secs
Skiddy Chocolate = Blind Pugh

Photo of you is now in the gallery http://catdrivertraining.co.uk/1243-2/
& olbm ... you made it onto the leader board :spotman: http://catdrivertraining.co.uk/road/car-club-forums/

Remember there's two spaces on the Group Drifting & Over Grip Limit Handling Course taking place on 20th May for those interested. Foxterrier & weyland - there's space on another Performance Driver 'Track' Day on 3rd June.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and interest in developing your knowledge and technique and we look forward to seeing you again at some point in the future.

KR
Jo

Return to “CAT Driver Training”