Baby BMW Forum banner

Remap paranoia.

4K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  jason@bwchiptune 
#1 ·
Right, I can't physically read anymore warranty queeries about remap's :lol2:

You can have a map done that is 'flashed' and is undetectable by BMW! I know this because my car is flashed and I work for BMW, I told them.. 'find it if you can' and they couldn't see a thing

Now. Insurers will NEVER be able to find this, so why the hell do you all panic so much?! Chill out folks, short of removing the ECU and sending it to Germany to have the codes triple checked or sticking it on a dyno they Will not find it!

And I've never heard of anyone doing that in my puff!

Calm doon. It's just a remap. Not a hybrid turbo with a bolt on supercharger and meth injection... It ain't thar big a deal and done properly your warranty And insurance will be fine, plenty bigger things to worry about than this :eek2:

#27 ·
kjb1 said:
^^^. doesn't matter taking it on off etc. The file wont flag up and be known to the tech in the workshop, it's only flagged when the car gets plugged in online that will cause anything to become known.
Maybe not but read the TIS..."suspicion of". Basically send a car in to them that drives like stock I.e with a stock map and what's to suggest otherwise. Say what you will but I've had turbo's replaced ok.

#29 ·
muz1990 said:
kjb1 said:
^^^. doesn't matter taking it on off etc. The file wont flag up and be known to the tech in the workshop, it's only flagged when the car gets plugged in online that will cause anything to become known.
What about flashed mapping? Mine came up 100% normal, nothing unusual but my tuner flashed it so it didn't come up with the map on any diagnostic machines
What year is your car and which Bhp

It's so easy to spot a tune Diesel engine just using live data from the Ecu
I'm not going to go into it on a open forum as it would tell them how to check in 2 mins so please don't ask

As for insurance we have checked a few cars but these seen to be high end sports cars

#31 ·
Chip tuning, isn't that what it used to be called years ago? Surprised BMW have chosen to call it that. I would challenge the following sweeping statement: "usually no more than an increase in the volume of fuel injected..." - surely any reputable engine tuner (is that their title lol) would take issue with that.

Then there's the legality aspect - I think one would have to check what's stated in the original contract between BMW and the customer. If the goalpost has been moved, I doubt if it will hold up in court. For new cars the information issued could be valid though, but again it would need backing up by a contract signed for by the buyer.

#33 ·
edstrom76 said:
mrash said:
Iirc Bushys dad confirmed that all maps are traceable, and that some garages were being told to look for remaps when cars were brought in with certain engine issues...
Didn't Bushy's dad also confirm that it was impossible to clone a key via the OBD port :D
But he would have been correct in regards of the term 'cloning' a key via the OBD port, which indeed is impossible........ :wink:

#34 ·
you loves it said:
It depends who is looking, the average tech is not going to be able to check the hex code against the bmw issued map. If for example you were involved in an accident and someone died then you can be sure that all ecu's would be sent off for analysis which wouldn't involve a BMW tech.

Then you will be in the sh*t, for the sake of an additional £50 insurance premium.
I personally do not believe every ecu would be sent off in a fatality. Its not an aircraft

#35 ·
GeeRam said:
edstrom76 said:
mrash said:
Iirc Bushys dad confirmed that all maps are traceable, and that some garages were being told to look for remaps when cars were brought in with certain engine issues...
Didn't Bushy's dad also confirm that it was impossible to clone a key via the OBD port :D
But he would have been correct in regards of the term 'cloning' a key via the OBD port, which indeed is impossible........ :wink:
Not sure what the actual term used at the time was (the thread might be on here still) - I sloppily just used the term 'cloning'. I guess the actual terminology should be something like 'programming a new key to the car in question by accessing the OBC'?

Edit: just found the thread: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#36 ·
I don't know what equipment BMW have at their service station but it is not difficult to see if anything has changed within an ECU without having the ECU removed in some cases.

It takes just over an hour to read the ECU file on a 135i, all they have to do it read the ECU and send the file to HQ who will compare it an original file and changes will be displayed straight away.....Im not 100% on BMW ECU's but some ECU from different manufactures have reflash counters so even putting them back to stock they will see as the flash counter will be higher/lower.

A technician could find out if they have access to data logging equipment by just data logging the car and comparing to stock values....

If a manufactures wants to see if your car has/had software on it they can.

#38 ·
BMW probably has methods to detect mods without sending modyfied maps or ECU to HQ. They just can analyze some recorded in ECU values like turbo or fuel pressure to detect tuning. So in engines after 2010 they probably can also detect even single use of external tuning boxes.

#39 ·
The question of whether a multi billion £ car company can detect if the ecu has been tampered with, & therefore avoid a warranty claim for turbo/engine/clutch etc is pointless.
Accept that they can, and if you have a BMW warranty, modifying the factory settings will put you at risk of it not being honored in the event of a claim.
The possibility of a mechanical failure is quite small, so few examples on the various BMW forums is testament to the build quality, however it is still there.

I was quoted an additional £30 for a remap, never paid more than £60 on previous cars. I can't believe that people who spend £xx,000 + on a car, and further hundreds if not thousands modifying, are suddenly unwilling to inform their insurance company.
Again, the risk of an accident and subsequently the remap being discovered is very small, but still there.

Each of us has to weigh up the "risk vs gain" modifying cars, whether you have the BMW warranty or not.
Personally I have no time for those who give their insurance companies any excuse to void a policy, it is the innocent third party who pays the price, of which my wife has first hand experience.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.