Baby BMW Forum banner

Clutch Judder?

194K views 957 replies 268 participants last post by  Tennant 
#1 ·
Apidae,

this sounds like a well known problem that occurred on the E36 3 Series. Clucth Judder is exactly the term that it is referred to.

I don't know if it is the same problem, but on the E36 (and I had it) it only occurred when the engine was warm and had been running for a while. It also only occurred in first and reverse, and basically was due to a, either, asbestos clutch plate thing, or non asbestos clutch plate thing (can't exactly remember).

After inital complaints with the E36, BMW changed their warranty to exclude this plate (very sneeky)

I severly doubt that this problem is still occuring today, but maybe check to see if it only happens when the engine is warm - if it persists, take it to the dealer again

#677 ·
emz said:
Purchased my 2005 120d M Sport approx. two weeks ago and I can now notice clutch judder :( Happens only when the car is quite warm i.e. been driven for a while. Sometimes it happens on a cold start. It's not frequent but does go away if it is there.
I have same problem with my 2005 118d, going to garage tomorrow, to have a look. Also sounds like cable loose when releasing clutch....

#679 ·
justjer said:
My garage just fixed the problem with:

- SACHS clutch set (no more BMW original clutch for me)
- LUK mass flywheel

Will update in 1000 km
Be interesting to see how you get on with this :)

My car is being looked at by BMW UK as the clutch and flywheel replacement didnt fix anything.

#681 ·
Interesting. I've got my car back but no new clutch was fitted but it has been authorised. BMW UK said that there is a new revised clutch kit coming out, that is undergoing testing and will be released towards the latter part of this year. I was given the option to either have it changed with the currently available part or to wait 'til the new one is released. I decided to wait for the new one, as they've assured me that this will resolve. I hope it lives up to their promise :rollseyes:

#682 ·
bmwAK said:
Interesting. I've got my car back but no new clutch was fitted but it has been authorised. BMW UK said that there is a new revised clutch kit coming out, that is undergoing testing and will be released towards the latter part of this year. I was given the option to either have it changed with the currently available part or to wait 'til the new one is released. I decided to wait for the new one, as they've assured me that this will resolve. I hope it lives up to their promise :rollseyes:
Exactly what i've been told, so it sounds like its moving in the right direction.

#683 ·
Not sure if this is of any interest but my wife has just received her 118d Coupe back with the new modified clutch installed :D
I had worked for BMW for many years and know very well what the scale of the clutch judder issues are. Unfortunately I left a great manufacturer a while ago due to the dealer I worked for going down the pan rapidly due to a certain PLC taking over and the crap management that followed. Anyway, thats another story.
The new modified clutch now comes with a 'damper' according to BMW. In reality it is just the old design of clutch with the springs in it!
I got wind of it a while back and was told it was not available until December but I wanted to get it booked in to get the car on the waiting list.
Anyway they have coded it(The last attempt at a fix) then the dealer got advised by PUMA to replace the clutch with the new type and the part was releasd for fitting :eek: . Apparently it was authorised by the regional technical manager, not sure why :?
Got it back tonight and it feels so much better, my current company car from another manufacturer has a very light clutch. The BMW always felt heavy and very sharp to take up drive(Snatching) when I got back in it to drive it. Never really noticed it when I had BMW company cars as you get used to it.
The clutch feels a lot nicer and the take up of drive is softer so hopefully that will be an end to it but only time will tell.
Hope you all get yours sorted too!

#686 ·
Out of interest, has anyone had their clutch changed under extended warranty? Mine's getting worse again and warranty is coming up for renewal soon, I wouldnt otherwise bother renewing and looking at the exclusions on the extended warranty, clutch facings are on that list so I could see them rejecting the claim using that clause, but given its a widely known fault and mine has already been in a couple of times to attempt a fix (new clutch a couple of years ago which temporarily fixed it, then firmware update last year) Im not sure they would / could get out of it that easily.

#687 ·
I have just had my second new clutch fitted today 2009 118d, the first one was 12 months ago and the judder returned. Picked car up earlier and the new one feels so different. Much smoother and softer, hope this does the job now! I'll have to ask them if it is the modified one.

#688 ·
Locoblade said:
Out of interest, has anyone had their clutch changed under extended warranty? Mine's getting worse again and warranty is coming up for renewal soon, I wouldnt otherwise bother renewing and looking at the exclusions on the extended warranty, clutch facings are on that list so I could see them rejecting the claim using that clause, but given its a widely known fault and mine has already been in a couple of times to attempt a fix (new clutch a couple of years ago which temporarily fixed it, then firmware update last year) Im not sure they would / could get out of it that easily.
I extended my Approved Used Car Warranty just to cover this event and I was told that, if they found a 'manufacturing fault', replacement of the clutch/flywheel would be covered by the warranty. Of course no fault was found and I only recovered the cost of replacement through the good nature of my local service manager and (I think) a stinking letter to the MD of BMW UK and the Chairman of BMW GmbH (see my previous posts). I won't be renewing my warranty next time!

#690 ·
My warranty is running out on the 13th so i took the car into the dealers today for them to take a look at it and was promptly told that they will have a look at it and get back to me. An hour ago they rang me and told me that there is a problem with the clutch and the flywheel and that they need to inspect it closer so would like to remove the gearbox at a cost of £388 to me and if it was seen that the clutch has warn due to driver error that the total bill will be £1952. I told them to Jog on and I'd be collecting the car later today. 30 mins later and the service manager rings me to say that they'll take the gearbox out at their own cost and take it from there with BMW warranty. I've given them the go ahead for that as its not costing me a penny so far.

My fear is that they'll then come back saying BMW wont pay for it. I guess I can then just tell them to put it all back together with the old parts?

Have I done the right thing? :eek2:

#691 ·
God knows to be honest I just live with mine as it only happens when it's freezing cold and it hasn't had a chance to warm up once it's up to temp it never happens. But if yours is bad all the time and it's literally shaking the car apart then you have to do something about it, maybe try LUK flywheel and clutch see if they are better made than the MANN/Valeo ones that BMW use.

#692 ·
Ok bit of an update on this... The dealers took out the gearbox and can see that the clutch and flywheel are worn with high points on the flywheel. They contacted BMW for a warranty repair and this has since been rejected because of the mileage on the car (47k). What are your thoughts on this? Can anyone explain to me how a flywheel gets damaged? Is it possible that the clutch can cause the damage to the flywheel or is it the other way round with the fauly flywheel causing damage to the clutch plate?

Glen.

#693 ·
Glen123d said:
Ok bit of an update on this... The dealers took out the gearbox and can see that the clutch and flywheel are worn with high points on the flywheel. They contacted BMW for a warranty repair and this has since been rejected because of the mileage on the car (47k). What are your thoughts on this? Can anyone explain to me how a flywheel gets damaged? Is it possible that the clutch can cause the damage to the flywheel or is it the other way round with the fauly flywheel causing damage to the clutch plate?

Glen.
My thoughts are go back and argue again... I was told by the dealers here that the only time BMW warranty should turn around and say no is when it hits over 60K............ at 47K to be refused is down and out rude TBH..........

Mine was not rejected at 34K...... but mine was done in Belgium they seem to be more sympathetic with warranty repairs here, where as in the UK you have to argue for it.

Start questioning them and argue that you are not happy about being refused a warranty repair on a low mileage car with a typical BMW Defect and in no way is it driver error, therefore they HAVE to replace it!

#694 ·
I thought the same to be honest Lee, I'm going to wait till they open and have another chat with them. To be honest the guy dealing with it is quite down to earth and can see my pointo of view so its certainly worth another shot. I wonder if it's down to my warranty running out this month so BMW are thinking lets just get out of this one? :evil:

#695 ·
Glen123d said:
I thought the same to be honest Lee, I'm going to wait till they open and have another chat with them. To be honest the guy dealing with it is quite down to earth and can see my pointo of view so its certainly worth another shot. I wonder if it's down to my warranty running out this month so BMW are thinking lets just get out of this one? :evil:
This is interesting as i flagged up my judder about 3 months ago. My warranty has since expired but my dealer assure me that because the problem was diagnosed in the warranty i'll be fine but after reading this I really dont know what to do. They have told me they are waiting for the updated part to become available and then they will book me in but a bill for £2k is just crazy. My car has done over 40k miles so please do let me know what happens for you mate.

#697 ·
justjer said:
I just drove 750 km with my new Clutch (SACHS) and new Flywheel (LUK). No more judders for me.
Extra information: The original flywheel was also from LUK, and the clutch was a LUK/BMW clutch.
So is yours the revised clutch then?

All I can say is I must have the revised clutch too then because I am well over 4000KM with my replacement clutch and still no judder has returned.

#698 ·
Actually i dont know if i have the revised clutch. My garage just ordered a new clutch from the Sachs factory (not through BMW)
Update: Drove a total amount of 1300 km's with my new clutch and flywheel. We have driven to some high places with a surface of sometimes more than 13%, so the engine and the clutch were working very hard at that point. But the BMW didnt have any problems (sometimes i shifted to gear three of four, but i have 116 '05) hehe ;)

What a lovely car!

#699 ·
Does anyone have anymore information on the modified flywheel or clutch from BMW?

The reason for asking is that in 2008 my then 2 year old car had a replacement flywheel and clutch under BMW warranty. Last October the flywheel started to fail again and was replaced with SACHS clutch and LUK mass flywheel at a BMW indeependent garage. Now some 11 months on and 8000 miles later the judder is back and a vibration through the clutch pedal can be felt when changing gears at around 2-3000rpm.

#700 ·
grey1 said:
Does anyone have anymore information on the modified flywheel or clutch from BMW?

The reason for asking is that in 2008 my then 2 year old car had a replacement flywheel and clutch under BMW warranty. Last October the flywheel started to fail again and was replaced with SACHS clutch and LUK mass flywheel at a BMW indeependent garage. Now some 11 months on and 8000 miles later the judder is back and a vibration through the clutch pedal can be felt when changing gears at around 2-3000rpm.
I just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted last Thursday.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that the change is beyond believe. No judder at all, power all the way now as opposed to when the judder used the hinder any movement off the line. It drives like a brand new car, and i have another new software update.

I cannot rate my BMW dealer enough for their service.

#701 ·
grey1 said:

I guess you need again a new clutch and flywheel :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.