Baby BMW Forum banner

118i vs 118d vs 120d

24K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Japanred120d 
#1 ·
Hi all, hope you can give me a bit of advise. I'm changing my car this year (currently have an Alfa Spider) and I think I've pretty much decided on a 1 series. I've tested a 118i and a 118d so far. I liked both but the runnng costs mean I'm tending to prefer the diesel. My question is this, how much difference is there between the 118d and the 120d. I could get a 118d with pretty much all the options I want, but would have to sacrifice a few with the 120d. Any opinions appreciated.

Keith.

#2 ·
depends on what you really want it for - looking back I should have taken the 118D with all the options, but thats because I dont really need the perofmance but wanted the economy more.

given the choice again I would have gone for 17"'s over 18"s too - didn't really do my sums on the looks versus replacement cost :)

#4 ·
DBSK said:
Get a 118d and get it remapped, costs around £300 and you will have more power than a standard 120d
Only trouble the same applies to a 120d - remap it and you will have the performance of a standard 123d and so on....

How do you rate your Spider by the way? Is it the current model? If it is, I had my eyes on one of those before deciding on my 120d M-Sport. I think practicality was the main reason for me not getting one, they are gorgeous cars.

I faced the same dilemma as you but my choice was between the 120d and 123d. I think this was an easier choice though as I wanted as much performance/£ for my buck as possible and the 120d is hard to beat. The 123d is a very fast car but you do pay a premium for it and the difference in mpg between the 120d vs. 123d is greater than the 118d vs. 120d.

Compromising is one of the disappointing features of life and I guess it all comes down to whether you value performance higher than comfort. The 118d is a very capable car and no slug, and needless to say the cost of motoring is ever increasing. That said, if it were me I'd want the extra punch over a couple of gadgets.

You didn't say whether you are buying a new or used? The current range is about to be replaced, possibly at the end of this year so might be worth holding out for. Alternatively there should be some bargains to be had if you are happy with going for the current model over the upcoming one.

#5 ·
I would certainly pass on the 118i as its a little gutless and needs to be revved hard to get any decent pace which leaves the diesels. Only way to know for yourself is to drive both and weigh up if the extra power is worth taking the 120d. With everyday driving the difference between the 118d and 120d won't bet that great. I think the 120d is a little smoother in power delivery as the injectors are uprated. I'm on my second 118d and been very pleased with it, engine is flexible and powerful enough for most situations, good MPG and advantage over the 120d being cheaper road tax. Personally if buying new privately I would go for specced up 118d than a basic 120d.

#6 ·
When I change my car (2006 120d with 163bhp), it will probably be for a newer (facelifted) 118d M Sport with 143bhp. Very little difference in real-world performance, but cheaper tax, improved mpg, etc.

I'd never consider a 118i personally, insufficient torque for my liking.

#7 ·
Personally, it's the gadgets that make me happy during everyday driving. I rarely get the chance to push the engine on the roads where I drive. If you're very performance-oriented, the engine will feel to small after a short time, no matter if it's a 118d or 120d (or even a 123d). But both engines are sufficiently powerful to allow for quick accelleration and safe overtaking in most situations.

I think I would go for a 118d with the extras.

#8 ·
If you can get a FL 118d with xenons, leather, 18s, stereo upgrade etc for same price as standard 120d I'd go for the former. Good enough performance, better mpg, low road tax and still looks like a 123d. I wouldn't go for the 118i.

#9 ·
Sensisimon said:
If you can get a FL 118d with xenons, leather, 18s, stereo upgrade etc for same price as standard 120d I'd go for the former. Good enough performance, better mpg, low road tax and still looks like a 123d. I wouldn't go for the 118i.
We bought an ex-demo 118i and I've had a hire car 118d and test driven a 120d.

I found the 118d like a bag of nails after the 118i although it was certainly quicker on the acceleration from standstill even though it was an auto. The 120d was far more refined and probably the one to go for if you can get the toys. I can't live without most of mine but top ones are parking sensors, auto dimming mirror, sport seats and most certainly can live with smallest wheels that will fit. Nice wheels look great when stationary, but are useless when on the move and expensive for tyres. I've got black steelies on with winter tyres and have gotten used to the utilitarian look.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Do the test drives. The 118i is refined, not that fast but it does have 140hp with the torque higher up the range so if you enjoy your driving then it's worth a look.

#10 ·
DBSK said:
Get a 118d and get it remapped, costs around £300 and you will have more power than a standard 120d
Considering the other thread about insurance and cost, when you come to get a quote you cannot say the car is standard. In the end, it may be better to go for the more powerful engine in the first place and keep things nice and simple insurance wise. One could easily start paying more for insurance which negates the saving on the less powerful car.

I am not saying a remap is a bad idea, just pointing out something which could be overlooked at a time when companies are after every penny for any reason, like fitting winter tyres! You reduce your options with a remap when you tell them.

#11 ·
I'd definitely go for the 120d, the 118d is sluggish by comparison, especially on motorways. The diesel Civic is a better performer than the 118d, more flexible and economical. Go for the 120d Msport pack if possible, the seats are so much better for a start. :)

#14 ·
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I should have explained my situation first. My Spider is a lease car (to answer your question edstrom76 - I love it. It's not the fastest in the world but it's so pretty and sounds great and the number of people who chat to me at the garage is unbelievable) and the lease is up this year. I was thinking of getting a Giulietta but it's just so expensive. Then my company started doing a lease scheme and it's so cost effective (you basically pay to get a company car, everything included) I couldn't say no. I have now decided on a 1 series, it's just which model to get. It will be an M-sport with 18" wheels, that's for sure, I don't need to worry about the cost of tyres. I am edging towards a 118d with Prof SatNav, leather seats etc. I have a little more time to decide so who knows?

#15 ·
keef1969 said:
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I should have explained my situation first. My Spider is a lease car (to answer your question edstrom76 - I love it. It's not the fastest in the world but it's so pretty and sounds great and the number of people who chat to me at the garage is unbelievable) and the lease is up this year. I was thinking of getting a Giulietta but it's just so expensive. Then my company started doing a lease scheme and it's so cost effective (you basically pay to get a company car, everything included) I couldn't say no. I have now decided on a 1 series, it's just which model to get. It will be an M-sport with 18" wheels, that's for sure, I don't need to worry about the cost of tyres. I am edging towards a 118d with Prof SatNav, leather seats etc. I have a little more time to decide so who knows?
In which case if the lease won't run to a specced up 120d then definitely a 118d specced to how you want it. You will thank yourself when stuck in traffic jams :) You can dismiss comments that the 118d is sluggish, pure nonsense, its perfectly acceptable in most situations and good alrounder, probably the best buy of the range, taking performance, costs into consideration etc.

#16 ·
To be honest although I wouldn't want any less than my mapped 120d if I had your dilemma I would prefer a car with the spec I wanted than a no toys and abit more grunt. Because I bought second hand I went for both but a 118d with xenons, nav and a nice colour leather will be a great car!

#17 ·
chester said:
keef1969 said:
In which case if the lease won't run to a specced up 120d then definitely a 118d specced to how you want it. You will thank yourself when stuck in traffic jams :) You can dismiss comments that the 118d is sluggish, pure nonsense, its perfectly acceptable in most situations and good alrounder, probably the best buy of the range, taking performance, costs into consideration etc.
I agree, there isnt actually a massive difference between the 118 and 120d in general driving. You will probably notice a difference racing down B roads and maybe on an overtake on the motorway, but the 118d is no slouch, and id sooner have the extra kit as you can rarely make use of high power cars on the roads today.

#18 ·
Performance vs economy is a real ego-teaser, at least for me! On the one hand I like to drive fast and competitively, but my good senses tell me this is stupid and I should drive like a nanny. Usually the good side wins, but when an A3 or some other VW is clearly challenging me, I cannot help myself to a little race. I blame my finnish racing genes!

Choose the engine that is suited to your style. If you like to go fast and leave other cars behind, get the 120d.

#19 ·
Hi, I had the same dilemma and went for the 118d se in Coupe form. I also owned a 120d se in 5 door for 15 months and had a 120i 5 door for 4 months. My observations are:

The 120d se was a lovely motor .It had toys (SAt nav) and averaged approx 38mpg on my a/b road drive to work (25 miles each way) My 2nd was a 120i which was a temp car from my company, it was nice enough whilst I waited for the 3rd one but really lacked the torque of the 120d and felt slow - it really needed to be worked it also had no toys but was a perfectly good car.

Onto my 3rd 1'er. Its a 118dse Coupe with Professional navigation system and DAB running on 17 inch 5 spoke 256 alloy wheels. My first impressions are that its a got more torque than the 120i and it feels under powered compared to the 120d. The lack of power maybe due to it running in, its not slow but I can tell the difference. However the difference through the corners is amazing - it may just be me but I think the coupe's handling is so much more responsive. I had my first drive alone in it last night and it was great on the dual carriageway and roundabouts - its no slouch!

My choice came down to economy and company car tax - the 118 coupe won on both counts and for me it looks the business. The sat nav and computer is great and my wife has even remarked how much smoother my driving is in it compared to the 120's. I'm averaging 43mpg over the 450 miles I've driven - most of these have been b-roads.

Hope this helps.

#21 ·
trident 3 said:
I'd agree with Throughdarlense, the coupe does handle better, I think it's down to better rigidity of the body shell, but it's more fun with the 120d's extra bhp :rollseyes:
Had I not been looking to minimise tax costs I'd of gone for the 120. Actually, blow that - I kinda wish I had the 120d as that engine with the coupe setup would be fun.

Now I just need to see if I can sneekily chip my current 1'er as I have it for 3 years.

#22 ·
Anthony said:
120d for me so long as it has HID Bi Xenon lights. I do miss cruise on mine which is a pain because holding a steady speed is awkward it is too easy to go over when trying not.
+1, constantly find myself doing way, way over the speed limit, by accident!

#23 ·
marco_polo said:
When I change my car (2006 120d with 163bhp), it will probably be for a newer (facelifted) 118d M Sport with 143bhp. Very little difference in real-world performance, but cheaper tax, improved mpg, etc.

I'd never consider a 118i personally, insufficient torque for my liking.
What happened to the 130i Marco?

#24 ·
:lol2: This thread is over a year old! :lol2:

I don't fancy a 118d anymore, the timing chain/AGM battery/DPF/Electric Power Steering has put me completely off them.

A 130i would be nice, and 135i would be nicer! Doubt I could afford to run either though, with the miles I do.

I'll be sticking with what I've got for the forseeable, just paid a fat chunk off the mortgage so I'm basically broke again. :(

#25 ·
marco_polo said:
:lol2: This thread is over a year old! :lol2:

I don't fancy a 118d anymore, the timing chain/AGM battery/DPF/Electric Power Steering has put me completely off them.

A 130i would be nice, and 135i would be nicer! Doubt I could afford to run either though, with the miles I do.

I'll be sticking with what I've got for the forseeable, just paid a fat chunk off the mortgage so I'm basically broke again. :(
Haha sorry I didn't notice the date of the thread. Good on you for having the foresight to overpay though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.