Rainbow Reviews

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

mtechtone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Rainbow Reviews

Post by mtechtone » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:20 am

Thanks for the input guys.

What I'm after is to improve the treble, keep it relatively inexpensive and simple.

Clearly I'm not one for chasing the nth degree of sound quality, it's just not really my thing.

My previous car, which is ultimately what I'm comparing my F20 to, was an E87. It had the Pro head unit but only the basic speaker system. After reading the rave reviews on here of adding tweeters to the empty pods and the PDF on the various ways of upgrading the system, I decided to fit the mids and tweeters from the HIFI system. It made a very noticeable improvement and I was happy with the sound.

Jumping into the F20 with the base system I noticed the treble was lacking although the sub(s?) were more prominent, comparatively. If I could have the highs of my E87 with the lows of the F20 I think that'd do nicely for me.

I stumbled across a thread about fitting tweeters to the base system by splicing the wiring into the mids....? Didn't like the sound of that.

I do agree that having the tweeters higher up is preferable. Dropping in mids and tweeters would be nice, like in my E87, but it would also mean buying new trims to house the tweeters. Aftermarket components more often than not would come with separate crossovers, so they need hiding too. Rainbow Il-c4.2 are £160 so twice the price for example.

But I also agree that coaxials, bringing actual tweeters to the party, should improve things. Surely it must be a step in the right direction. It can't lower the sound stage as they'll be in the same place! I was actually thinking about the rear Rainbow coaxials too - filling the car with a better quality of sound if not helping the staging in any way, would be fine by me.

I was just hoping to get a thumbs up from someone who'd fitted the rainbow coaxials or similar :)

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:37 am

mtechtone wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:20 am
Thanks for the input guys.

What I'm after is to improve the treble, keep it relatively inexpensive and simple.

Clearly I'm not one for chasing the nth degree of sound quality, it's just not really my thing.

My previous car, which is ultimately what I'm comparing my F20 to, was an E87. It had the Pro head unit but only the basic speaker system. After reading the rave reviews on here of adding tweeters to the empty pods and the PDF on the various ways of upgrading the system, I decided to fit the mids and tweeters from the HIFI system. It made a very noticeable improvement and I was happy with the sound.

Jumping into the F20 with the base system I noticed the treble was lacking although the sub(s?) were more prominent, comparatively. If I could have the highs of my E87 with the lows of the F20 I think that'd do nicely for me.

I stumbled across a thread about fitting tweeters to the base system by splicing the wiring into the mids....? Didn't like the sound of that.

I do agree that having the tweeters higher up is preferable. Dropping in mids and tweeters would be nice, like in my E87, but it would also mean buying new trims to house the tweeters. Aftermarket components more often than not would come with separate crossovers, so they need hiding too. Rainbow Il-c4.2 are £160 so twice the price for example.

But I also agree that coaxials, bringing actual tweeters to the party, should improve things. Surely it must be a step in the right direction. It can't lower the sound stage as they'll be in the same place! I was actually thinking about the rear Rainbow coaxials too - filling the car with a better quality of sound if not helping the staging in any way, would be fine by me.

I was just hoping to get a thumbs up from someone who'd fitted the rainbow coaxials or similar :)
Why don't you like the idea of splicing into the mids? IIRC the tweeter already has a built in crossover (or I'm imagining this). As long as you have a wiring diagram to hand, it's not that hard and it's completely reversible. Put bullet connectors on the tweeter wiring, strip some wiring off the mid and solder extra wires again with bullet connectors on the end and bobs your uncle. (The reason I'm saying put connectors on, is if you ever want to remove them later, if you sell the car, then you can fairly quickly and easily.

Trims I'd imagine aren't that expensive, check eBay, you might even get lucky and find the trim with a tweeter already built into it, or that's just how they come on Fxx (I can't remember but I vaguely recall the pods come with the tweeters if you buy from BMW).

Rear's wouldn't make a massive difference to your listening experience, it will however make a positive difference, but if you have the budget for it then why not. In my last build I had aftermarket components all round, in this one, I had 3 way components up front with OEM coax's in the rear, I asked my girlfriend (at the time, now ex, who didn't really have a clue about modifying cars and was therefore, in my opinion impartial and a good experiment) if she could hear an audible difference between the two, i.e. components all round vs components up front. She said up front the difference was a little noticeable but in the rear seats, you could hear it a lot more that there were components all round.

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 pm

When I priced out buying tweeter housings, tweeters and (Eton) mids vs. the Eton coaxials I ended up buying, the cost was almost double which for me, wasn't worth it to raise the sound stage by six inches in an already compromised listening environment (and that was buying the tweeters and housings from eBay). YMMV. Although for anyone wanting to fit separate tweeter, I seem to recall reading that no splicing or soldering is required - I think the spade connectors allow for a piggy-back connection so reasonably easy to install and reverse.

I have no doubt that sonically, separate tweeters closer to ear level will provide a better result, but for me, the cost was way into the law of diminishing returns. Each however, to their own.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”