babybmw.net

Discussion forum for the BMW 1 & 2 Series
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: M135i real world fuel economy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:45 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The fuel and its merits argument will go around in a never ending spiral disappearing up its own flue. if you felt the difference good on you, and you feel better for spending more per litre that's your choice. but unless you had a full test rig connected to your car it will never be proved ether way. i have run mine mostly on Morrison's weasel p*ss for most of its 9000 + miles and its worked ok for me and for a 120d auto i have managed a average of 54 mpg. i haven't done this to save a few pence per litre its just that its nearly at the end of my road and any de tours to put a different type of fuel in would blow any so called gains away due to the distance covered to get a different fuel. a car is only as efficient as the man who presses the peddle regardless what's in the tank.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 am 
Too Much Time To Waste Member

arightpest wrote:
The fuel and its merits argument will go around in a never ending spiral disappearing up its own flue. if you felt the difference good on you, and you feel better for spending more per litre that's your choice. but unless you had a full test rig connected to your car it will never be proved ether way. i have run mine mostly on Morrison's weasel p*ss for most of its 9000 + miles and its worked ok for me and for a 120d auto i have managed a average of 54 mpg. i haven't done this to save a few pence per litre its just that its nearly at the end of my road and any de tours to put a different type of fuel in would blow any so called gains away due to the distance covered to get a different fuel. a car is only as efficient as the man who presses the peddle regardless what's in the tank.

Morrison's weasel p*ss ..... love it :rotfl:

I'm a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde on this entire subject.

One half of me believes all the hype and the other says 'weasel p*ss'll do'

:lol:

OLD ///M Sport 123d (Sep '10) Space Grey Metallic.
123d http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20577

NEW ///M135i (Nov '12) Mineral Grey with Black Dakota Leather.
M135i http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=41356

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 am 

I guess that somebody could have a go at a 'blind test' by getting their partner (or other insured driver if available) to drive to the petrol station and fill up with one type of fuel (maybe two tanks full in a row) and then move on to the other type of fuel, and then see if they prefer one over the other before finding out which was which.

It's not double blind, but it's a start.

Regardless of the cost difference and the 'potentially subjective' performance (speed/mpg) difference, there is still the question of whether the additives that are supposedly used have any positive affect on the engine internals too.

All I know is that the car goes easily fast enough with whatever petrol I use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:10 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Arcanum wrote:
I always found the low down pick up of BP Ultimate better than Shell V-Power/Optimax. But V-Power/Optimax pulled stronger at the top-end.

Exactly this, I've found the same. It's down to others to make the decision for themselves based on the evidence out there, and more to the point what it's like in their own car! Frankly I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If people try it over a couple tanks and can't notice any difference then it's probably not worth their while.

I've never owned a DERV, so can't comment but probably won't bother unless it was a x35d. This is from the perspective of someone who enjoys driving a performance petrol, so a couple pence a litre more isn't going to sway me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I'd rather would use only >RON98 for any high performance turbo-charged petrol engine. Saying that it should be noted the engine will run just fine on RON95 or even lower. Every modern petrol engine will automatically adapt. But this comes with performance and efficiency lost.

And also why not go for a premium fuel from one of the well known brands (BP/Shell) providing that it costs just a few pennies per liter more than supermarkets? It is worth even only for my own peace of mind, believing they are putting a bit more quality additives. Buying relatively expensive brand new big petrol engined car and then saving pennies on fuel is something which I am not sure I can understand (no offence please). Spending more for fuel, tax, insurance and maintenance should be already considered before getting such a car. Otherwise there are plenty of bad ass diesels around, which will combine joy with economy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Which is the best Super UL?

I have always found V Power to be up there, plus is 98 RON, so better than say 97 Ron's Supoer (e.g. Esso).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:50 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

TMP wrote:
Which is the best Super UL?

I have always found V Power to be up there, plus is 98 RON, so better than say 97 Ron's Supoer (e.g. Esso).

Always V Power for me and it's 99 Ron :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 am 

Right, lets clear some things up.

Ron is resistance to pre-ignition (commonly referred to as knocking or pinking), it has nothing to do with energy content or 'quality'. Shell 95 and 98 (for example) both meet the same British Standard quality.

If your car is mapped for 95 Ron, you will get no performance benefit by putting 98 in it. None.

If your car is mapped for 98 Ron and you fill it with 95, the engine may produce less power than it could, if it starts to pink (which is likely). The ECU (via knock sensor) will retard the ignition until the pinking stops. This obviously costs you performance. Once your car has become accustomed to 95, it will take a few tanks to re-adjust to 98 again.

Pinking can damage your engine, and is more likely to occur in higher ambient temperatures. I would run any turbo car mapped for 98 exclusively on 98, especially in the warmer summer months.

Please help the Mod's by using the Report Button Image where appropriate

Last edited by marco_polo on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

It's not just about the power the posh fuel gives you, it's generally supposed to be better for your engine, Audi FSIs particularly are supposed to get quite clogged with crap using regular, I obviously don't know the extent of the truth in it, but if you're happy using V power then to me it's not wasting your money!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

marco_polo wrote:
Right, lets clear some things up.

Ron is resistance to pre-ignition (commonly referred to as knocking or pinking), it has nothing to do with energy content or 'quality'. Shell 95 and 98 (for example) both meet the same British Standard quality.

If your car is mapped for 95 Ron, you will get no performance benefit by putting 98 in it. None.

If your car is mapped for 98 Ron and you fill it with 95, the engine may produce less power than it could, if it starts to pink (which is likely). The ECU (via knock sensor) will retard the ignition until the pinking stops. This obviously costs you performance. Once your car has become accustomed to 95, it will take a few tanks to re-adjust to 98 again.

Pinking can damage your engine, and is more likely to occur in higher ambient temperatures. I would run any turbo car mapped for 98 exclusively on 98, especially in the warmer summer months.

So the orignal question was is the M135i mapped for 98 Ron?

but

i thought a modern engine detected and mapped for the RON currently in i.e.. it would stop pinking before it happened at the cost of performance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am 

TMP wrote:
i thought a modern engine detected and mapped for the RON currently in i.e.. it would stop pinking before it happened at the cost of performance.

Nope, the ECU can't see into the future, or tell which fuel is in the tank. It's re-active, and won't do anything until it starts knocking.

Please help the Mod's by using the Report Button Image where appropriate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Have to admit now I have got used to the way eco-pro works as much as i dislike driving in that mode it is incredible the fuel you can save! On my boring little commute, i will from now just use this. I'll save the Sport/ Sport+ now for spirited drives, feels like you can appreciate it more. When i first picked up the car I thought id never use Eco mode to be honest but it will save a few pennies so would be silly not to exploit it i think. On a normal journey to work in sport, but not driving hard at all (infact as softly as possible) because its such a short journey havent the time to warm it up, I was achieving 21mpg. Now the same journey in EcoPro im getting 31mpg, this is just a 7 mile trip though and at the weekends i tend to drive it a bit harder but this weekend im taking a long trip up to Lincs so will be interesting to see the best i can achieve in boring 60mph cruise all the way :)

Whats the best anyone has got yet in a longish run in the M135i? Im going for it! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:57 pm 

Best I've achieved is 40.2 going south on M6/M56 from Carlisle to Chester (@ 70mph). That was boring to say the least. However, did same trip last weekend with nearly 2k on the clock now averaging 75 with occasional sprints up over 80 - my average was 37. EcoPro is worthwhile if all you're doing is cruising on the M-way in my opinion but is is dull :|

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

:D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:44 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

I agree Nick, EcoPro is very dull but can help.

However the other day I was tearing home in sport model and manual gearbox. Overtook 2 cars abd having a great time ! Until i came across a long line if traffic with a slow truck upfront. Decided to stay in sport mode as I wanted to still feel like I could have fun, even if I wasn't ;)

Upshot is, Sport can be as economical as EcoPro if you can drive carefully....

You can see on the graph how well Sport was doing! Also shows its stop / start traffic that really hurts consumption, as this was a nice steady speed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next