Baby BMW Forum banner

M sport 125i corrosion on exhaust tips

3K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Matt555 
#1 ·
Gave the car a good clean this afternoon.

Was horrified to find that the exhaust tips have corrosion pitting already. I wash the car fairly regularly and always include the exhuast which I polish and seal with meguiars Nxt.

My cars only 4 months old. Not good enough IMO for a premium brand like BMW :(

See less See more
#2 ·
I've fired an email off to the dealership I purchased my car from to see if this will be a warranty item.

I take pride in regularly cleaning my car to keep it spotless.

I would not expect a car less than 6 months which has only covered 5,000 miles to suffer from this problem.

We shall see (I'm not holding my breath).

#3 ·
I'm with you on this. I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks however, when things calm down I shall be speaking to my dealer. Let me know how you get on. I think the M135i boys have been having problems with this also.

#4 ·
Yes this really pisses me off also... after 12 months mine is horrific, and after 3 months is was seriously noticeable.

No amounts of metal polish or even using wire-wool can remove it.

My other car has a stainless exhaust and it looks brand-new even after 5 years of use!

#5 ·
Sonic said:
Yes this really pisses me off also... after 12 months mine is horrific, and after 3 months is was seriously noticeable.

No amounts of metal polish or even using wire-wool can remove it.

My other car has a stainless exhaust and it looks brand-new even after 5 years of use!
I know all cars have their faults but my mk6 gti chrome exhausts where as good as new after 3 years.

Could you please get some pictures up of your exhaust at some point. Would be interesting if not a little depressing to see how bad they get in 12 months.

Ta
Martin

#11 ·
labbetts said:
MAW73 said:
Update with good news..... BMW have said they will replace the faulty exhaust parts under warranty.
3 months later and we'll be back to square one again

Are they looking to sort the problem with a new part?
Yes this wouldn't surprise me. They are just replacing like for like parts.

I owned a Mazda 6 sport thing years ago and there was a problem with the alloy wheels where the powder coat would bubble off. I had 3 new complete sets of wheels replaced in the 2.5 years :)

#12 ·
Mine are both being replaced by dealer on the M135 even though its only the offside ( strange that on the M135 its only that one????)
They are just replacing them with like for like, seems to be another indication of cost saving resulting in a drop in quality by BMW. Another reason for me to buy the performance exhaust :lol2:

#13 ·
M135iFUN said:
Mine are both being replaced by dealer on the M135 even though its only the offside ( strange that on the M135 its only that one????)
They are just replacing them with like for like, seems to be another indication of cost saving resulting in a drop in quality by BMW. Another reason for me to buy the performance exhaust :lol2:
It's that side due to the cold start.
125i will probably be the right tip more than the left too

#14 ·
RichCranney said:
M135iFUN said:
It's that side due to the cold start.
125i will probably be the right tip more than the left too
On mine it certainly is, yes.

#15 ·
I enquired about the m performance exhaust for the 125i as I'm tempted to upgrade at some point. (probably in 3-4 months time when the next exhaust corrodes). Unfortunatly its not not available at the moment. I recieved this reply....

Hello, sorry for the delayed reply, but I forwarded this enquiry to BMW UK to ask them to double check.

They have just replied to confirm this part is definitely not currently available, although it will probably be released in due course. Even the 135i version, which is listed, is not yet available from the factory.
At present they are unable to quote any likely date for it to be made available to suit your car, but by all means contact me in a few months' time and I will gladly check again for you.

Sorry we are unable to help you any further for now.

Kind regards,

Jon

#23 ·
Sonic said:
They don't consider it a warranty issue, apparently.
What a crock

I've had mine replaced last week and already an issue. They seemed to have a different finish to the original ones but after 24 hours they have become discoloured?????

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.