Discussion forum for the BMW 1 & 2 Series
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remap paranoia.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:06 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

mrash wrote:
Iirc Bushys dad confirmed that all maps are traceable, and that some garages were being told to look for remaps when cars were brought in with certain engine issues...

Didn't Bushy's dad also confirm that it was impossible to clone a key via the OBD port :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:21 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Chip tuning, isn't that what it used to be called years ago? Surprised BMW have chosen to call it that. I would challenge the following sweeping statement: "usually no more than an increase in the volume of fuel injected..." - surely any reputable engine tuner (is that their title lol) would take issue with that.

Then there's the legality aspect - I think one would have to check what's stated in the original contract between BMW and the customer. If the goalpost has been moved, I doubt if it will hold up in court. For new cars the information issued could be valid though, but again it would need backing up by a contract signed for by the buyer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

edstrom76 wrote:
Chip tuning, isn't that what it used to be called years ago?

It still the correct name and know acoss the world still
When tuning a Ecu you a adjusting the maps in the chip or chips in the Ecu wether it be a mpc,eprom or flash chip

remaps start from £250

DynoDynamics rolling road testing in london & newcastle

dealers across the uk

BMW tech
Ecu repairs

8 & 9 Alpha ind est
Hayes
Ub3 1bb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

edstrom76 wrote:
mrash wrote:
Iirc Bushys dad confirmed that all maps are traceable, and that some garages were being told to look for remaps when cars were brought in with certain engine issues...

Didn't Bushy's dad also confirm that it was impossible to clone a key via the OBD port :D

But he would have been correct in regards of the term 'cloning' a key via the OBD port, which indeed is impossible........ :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:41 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

you loves it wrote:
It depends who is looking, the average tech is not going to be able to check the hex code against the bmw issued map. If for example you were involved in an accident and someone died then you can be sure that all ecu's would be sent off for analysis which wouldn't involve a BMW tech.

Then you will be in the sh*t, for the sake of an additional £50 insurance premium.

I personally do not believe every ecu would be sent off in a fatality. Its not an aircraft

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

GeeRam wrote:
edstrom76 wrote:
mrash wrote:

But he would have been correct in regards of the term 'cloning' a key via the OBD port, which indeed is impossible........ :wink:

Not sure what the actual term used at the time was (the thread might be on here still) - I sloppily just used the term 'cloning'. I guess the actual terminology should be something like 'programming a new key to the car in question by accessing the OBC'?

Edit: just found the thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37806&start=15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm 
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

I don't know what equipment BMW have at their service station but it is not difficult to see if anything has changed within an ECU without having the ECU removed in some cases.

It takes just over an hour to read the ECU file on a 135i, all they have to do it read the ECU and send the file to HQ who will compare it an original file and changes will be displayed straight away.....Im not 100% on BMW ECU's but some ECU from different manufactures have reflash counters so even putting them back to stock they will see as the flash counter will be higher/lower.

A technician could find out if they have access to data logging equipment by just data logging the car and comparing to stock values....

If a manufactures wants to see if your car has/had software on it they can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

N8 H wrote:
If a manufactures wants to see if your car has/had software on it they can.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm 
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

BMW probably has methods to detect mods without sending modyfied maps or ECU to HQ. They just can analyze some recorded in ECU values like turbo or fuel pressure to detect tuning. So in engines after 2010 they probably can also detect even single use of external tuning boxes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 pm 
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

The question of whether a multi billion £ car company can detect if the ecu has been tampered with, & therefore avoid a warranty claim for turbo/engine/clutch etc is pointless.
Accept that they can, and if you have a BMW warranty, modifying the factory settings will put you at risk of it not being honored in the event of a claim.
The possibility of a mechanical failure is quite small, so few examples on the various BMW forums is testament to the build quality, however it is still there.

I was quoted an additional £30 for a remap, never paid more than £60 on previous cars. I can't believe that people who spend £xx,000 + on a car, and further hundreds if not thousands modifying, are suddenly unwilling to inform their insurance company.
Again, the risk of an accident and subsequently the remap being discovered is very small, but still there.

Each of us has to weigh up the "risk vs gain" modifying cars, whether you have the BMW warranty or not.
Personally I have no time for those who give their insurance companies any excuse to void a policy, it is the innocent third party who pays the price, of which my wife has first hand experience.

Paul

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Black 2010
Ford Focus ST Colorado Red 2007
Ford Mondeo ST220 Performance Blue 2005

Last edited by paulathome on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:54 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Well said Paul
100% spot on

remaps start from £250

DynoDynamics rolling road testing in london & newcastle

dealers across the uk

BMW tech
Ecu repairs

8 & 9 Alpha ind est