Baby BMW Forum banner

LCI LED Headlights - are they any good?

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  sparkie1984 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Had a search earlier both on and off the forum and there's nothing much to go off to tell me what these LCI LED Headlights on the 1 series are like.

I've now experienced them, but as my daily driver comes with fairly good LED Headlights now (Seat Leon Cupra 280) I'm interested to know how people rate then on the 1 series?

Cheers!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Coming from an E88 with xenons to the M135i with led they are just as good if not a tad better on high beam. Plus you get the really cool BMW led logo on the side :) sad I know.
As they are the only option over halogen now I'd have them all day long.

#3 ·
Plantjuk said:
Coming from an E88 with xenons to the M135i with led they are just as good if not a tad better on high beam. Plus you get the really cool BMW led logo on the side :) sad I know.
As they are the only option over halogen now I'd have them all day long.
Ok that helps and certainly a nice touch! I don't think I ever used high beam on my Cupra and the dipped was perfectly adequate even on unlit roads.

Any thoughts on dipped on the bmw leds?

#6 ·
rydale13 said:
Awesome. Saw an m sport lci with the LED Headlights (I was on the other side of the road) and dipped beam appeared a sort of gorgeous ice-blue hue. Really got my attention!

They definitely have more of a blue tinge to them over xenons. I was following an lci down the motorway just before we got ours and the beam pattern looked very nice :) I'm a sucker for pretty lights lol

#7 ·
Yup. With you on that! Headlights and taillights really make a car for me.

I'm kinda pissed that the M135i doesn't have full led tail lights. Would be a really nice finishing touch to have the rear indicators and brake lights finished in LEDs.

#9 ·
I do notice from pictures that the LED headlights doesn't have washer jet cut outs. Is this true?

#10 ·
crazy_about_cars said:
I do notice from pictures that the LED headlights doesn't have washer jet cut outs. Is this true?
They're an option. Never bothered adding them. I'd rather spend the cash on something more practical.

Like a nice meal out with the Mrs for when I reveal the new orange M135i ice just ordered...

#13 ·
rydale13 said:
I'm kinda pissed that the M135i doesn't have full led tail lights. Would be a really nice finishing touch to have the rear indicators and brake lights finished in LEDs
This. Annoyed me also when the A class has the option of full led rear light setup, yet the LCI 1 series has no option and you're left with out dated tech! You think it be cheaper for make them fully led!

#14 ·
What interesting about the LED lights is when driving through tree lined lanes at night, the LEDs have a very precise light pattern. They are like projectors. There is a very definite line between what is lit and not. I did not notice that with the xenons on the pre LCI.

I also like the LEDs for the very white colour temperature of the light. Seem to cause less eye strain (certainly for an old git like me!). Do they project further? I don't know to be honest.

Paul

#16 ·
My adaptive LED's are good but don't seem all that bright. I currently have a M235i with adaptive xenons which I find better. The adaptive LED's hardly use main beam until traveling above a certain speed (50mph I think) and when I meet another car they just dip. The adaptive xenons are on main beam much more and just move the beam pattern around instead of dipping, you can see them boxing cars out and lighting up the grass verge, very clever. I wonder if the LED's just alter brightness?

#18 ·
Here's my opinion on them.

I've come from a 15 plate m135i with adaptive xenons to a 65 plate m135i with adaptive LEDs.

Firstly I believe it is a legal requirement with xenons to have washers, as dirty lights result glare for other drivers as the bulbs are so bright. This is not the case with LEDs - ie they are not as bright.

The light they give out is great and they do feel like more 'modern' tech so to speak. There is a clearer divide between lit and unlit areas. Lower power consumption and heat loss so a tad better on economy.

The adaptive lights on either really aren't worth the money. A waste of £600.

The turning round corners function is nice and works well, but as they only operate with a dipped and full beam function (and not the more intelligent adaptive, split beam functionality of the 2+ series vehicles) I find them pretty useless. They don't dip soon enough so it ends up being pretty enfuriating blinding oncoming vehicles. They work very well on straight roads when oncoming traffic also has a full beam on, but when they don't I often get flashed if I don't manually dip them and it's impossible for them to pre-empt cars coming round corners.

#19 ·
I always wondered why people struggled so much to dip their lights for me.

Until I had a brand new hire car with auto dipping lights etc and as above the amount of flashing I got did my head in. I ended up turning it off as I know how annoying it is to be blinded.

I can't see how that sort of tech will ever be able to predict an oncoming car, well at least until they make cars able to detect and communicate with each other

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.