Baby BMW Forum banner

M135i headlight drama

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ts24 
#1 ·
My headlights have suddenly decided to go south (literally!) and a few nights ago I could only see around 8 feet past the bonnet as they were dipped to point at the ground...not what I needed when driving down small country lanes! Had to drive on full beam to avoid going off the road. Tried switching the car off and trying again but the xenons levelled as normal and then suddenly pontes south! Have included pics I took plus full beam for reference.
Had it booked into BMW then wondered if during the investigation they'd ping the JB4-it's stashed away apart from a few extra wires visible..maybe I'm just being paranoid. My missus' brother is a mechanic so he's going to check it out (am currently not needing the car at night), any ideas or pointers for him to look for? If no joy will put it into BMW to sort it but am now paranoid about the JB4 issue (this headlight problem occurred around a week after being fitted so I don't think the two are linked).
Throwing it out to the panel of experts on here-any clue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 ·
So I got back home after being away for Xmas and the missus' brother had a look at the possible levelling rod coming off the wishbone...nope still in place. Bah. He reckons the sensor might have gone so it looks like a warranty job through BMW. Still a big concerned about the JB4 but the kit is all hidden behind panels and hopefully they won't have to go digging to change the sensor (if that is the problem of course).
Thanks for the advice and photos though guys-appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I guess the lights do a little dance when they turn on? When the wife's F31 Xenons died they still did that, so I knew it wasn't the lights or the levelers at fault. The arms on mine were in place. Apparently it was the plastic bit that had failed (we had it fixed under warranty).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Stevo;

Are you getting any warning lights on the dash? "Headlight vertical aim control failure"? If so, it'll most likely be the motor(s) attached to the headlights. Usually fail due to water ingress and the fact that BMW saw fit to put the motor and control PCB in an upturned metal box... :-( About £300 a pop if you don't get it/them on warranty!

And don't worry about the JB4 - it has NOTHING to do with the headlight operation!

#12 ·
Hi
Sorry to post on an old thread but my car is doing the same thing but when i touch the brake pedal the lights start rising up again and then slowly drop back down had a quick look underneath and the vertical arm looks ok. any ideas what it could be :?

Cheers Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.