Baby BMW Forum banner

How to remove headlight bulbs....

26K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Sonic1506 
#1 ·
Upgrading my bulbs to whiter ones (osram nightbreakers as recommended by you on a previous thread thank you!) So.... I took off the plastic cover, managed to change out sidelights no probs.... But cannot get the headlight bulbs out looks like there is a small metal clamp but I can't move it? Is there a trick to this I'm missing.... :?

Help appreciated!

Thanks!
Fi

#3 ·
I've got a picture of the back of my old headlights here for reference. It's pretty hard to see what you're poking at, even with a mirror! The clips release at the top, usually you have to push them back (towards you) a bit then either to the left or right (can't remember which) and it should come free. I often find it's harder getting the things to clip back in more of a pain...

These are pictures of the back of the headlight on the right side of the car (as you look forward towards the bonnet, not right from the drivers position)

#5 ·
I found it to be just perseverance! Plus a loss of skin on hands. Saying that I did put them in upside down so far from an expert :lol2:

#6 ·
Rich_p said:
Digging up an old post here but is there a nack to getting the clips back on the main beam bulb?

I just can't get the damn thing clipped in.

The dipped beam one went on easily
It's the same H7 fitment so it should go on the same for all bulbs.

Make sure that the bulb is seated correctly - broad tab at the top.

#7 ·
Panic avoided. The 2 bulbs on the other side went it without hassle ( bar getting the plugs off one. - ill have to put some grease on them to make sure they don't get stuck in future.

I revisited the original one and turns out i had been a little heavy handed taking the bulb out and I'd bent the tab that the clip sits into. Straightened that and it popped straight in.

No bloody knuckles either which is a result!

#14 ·
SGM26 said:
For me it's usually 2 decent ones in the dipped beam (so you can see but not be blinding) and 2 bright ones for the main beam (because you only use it when there's no oncoming traffic anyway).

Before I had the HID kit I had Osram Nightbreaker+ in the dipped and some Ring Sportz Blue 80w in the main beam.
ok I bought 2 Ring xenon night breakers so far

#18 ·
Quikrex said:
How on earth do you guys change it on a 130i on passenger side without removing the air box!?!?!? I don't exactly have girly hands lol
The trick is to remove the cover by pulling the larger side out before the smaller side. Wiggle it around and it'll pop off, then changing the bulbs is a breeze. Your only problem after that is putting the cover back in haha (PITA!!!)

#19 ·
viciousgook said:
Quikrex said:
How on earth do you guys change it on a 130i on passenger side without removing the air box!?!?!? I don't exactly have girly hands lol
The trick is to remove the cover by pulling the larger side out before the smaller side. Wiggle it around and it'll pop off, then changing the bulbs is a breeze. Your only problem after that is putting the cover back in haha (PITA!!!)
lol cheers i dont work well in small spaces :D airbox out it is lol

#20 ·
Juswt changed the main headlamp bulbs and all I can say is what an utter :censored2: ballache it is. I must be doing something wrong, 3 hours and two bruised and battered hands. Mind you it doesn't help when you have fingers like pigs tits!!!

#21 ·
Dave S said:
Juswt changed the main headlamp bulbs and all I can say is what an utter :censored2: ballache it is. I must be doing something wrong, 3 hours and two bruised and battered hands. Mind you it doesn't help when you have fingers like pigs tits!!!
You could do it in less than an hour just by taking the bumper off! :lol2:

Find someone with smaller hands next time.

#22 ·
redwizard said:
Dave S said:
You could do it in less than an hour just by taking the bumper off! :lol2:

Find someone with smaller hands next time.
Find someone with smaller hands! Not going to happen, next time a bulb needs changing I am selling the car!!

#24 ·
stefanmmm said:
Hi,

Does anyone know the part number for the retaining clip in this image?
I bought the suggested 63126924671 - Support part but that is the support for the cover not the bulb :cry:

Did you find out the part number for the retaining clip? I've bent mine a bit trying to put a new bulb in so it doesn't fit flush in the socket anymore.

#26 ·
jono400 said:
How do the side lights come out ? can see where they are on the pictures shown earlier on in this thread but not sure how they come out ?
They pull out. They're quite a tight/snug fit and require a firm tug. I wouldn't even attempt it with the lights on the car but then again I'd drop the bumper and take the lights out to change the bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.