Baby BMW Forum banner

M135i possible offsets

26K views 57 replies 10 participants last post by  marco_polo 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting some VMR wheels and the available sizes for what I'm after are

Front - 18 x 8.5, ET40 & ET35
Rear - 18 x 9.5, ET45

Just had a look on a wheel offset calculator and its going to be 19mm wider on the front and 26mm wider on the rear with 40/45. Apparently talking to Mitch from VMR this offset means there's no need for spacers on the front.

Does anyone reckon these would fit ok without any issues? Would there be any issues with ET35 on the front and ET45 on the rear?

#3 ·
It will be very tight and you will need slightly stretched tyres to get those to fit..perhaps 225/255... depends on the shoulder of the tyres

#5 ·
Whitehouse said:
:/ thought it might be tight, Mitch did send a few pics of an M235i with this set up and apparently it fits with no rubbing issues. Would a ET45 front/ET50 rear set up be a lot better with those widths?
This might give you an idea of clearance..

Front 8" ET35 with 245/35/18 Michelin SS (This caught the arches when cornering hard over mid corner bump so have changed to 8" ET40 now)
by , on Flickr

Rear 9" ET50 with 265/35/18 Michelin SS
by , on Flickr

These are max width tyres recommended for wheel width so if the tyres are stretched then it gives you that little more extra clearance depending how much lower your suspension is

#7 ·
As mentioned earlier, tyre choice is the key as they make a big difference with clearance...

Found these images I took last year when I had OEM tyres on which shows how much clearance with same wheels and narrower stretched tyres -

8" ET40 front with 225/40/18 Michelin SS
by , on Flickr

9" ET50 rear with 245/35/18 Michelin SS
by , on Flickr

#8 ·
Any rubbing issues Sooty with the oem tyre set up in above post? I was looking at ET40 8x18 with the Factory Tyres. Though as I can see you have ET50 9 on the rear which I hadn't even thought about. Recommendations appreciated. Cheers

#9 ·
J1SUA said:
Any rubbing issues Sooty with the oem tyre set up in above post? I was looking at ET40 8x18 with the Factory Tyres. Though as I can see you have ET50 9 on the rear which I hadn't even thought about. Recommendations appreciated. Cheers
No rubbing issues with the above 2 combinations but did have an issue with front when using a 18x8" ET35 with 245 front tyre..

8" ET40 should be fine with up to 245 tyres front and rear and perhaps even 8" ET35 with 225 tyres
8.5" ET45 should be OK with up to 245-255 tyres and 8.5" ET38 is OK with 225 tyres (I have this for winter set-up)
9" ET50 is OK with up to 265 tyres (rear) and 9" ET45 is OK with 245 tyre
9.5" ET50 should be OK with up to 255 tyres (rear) as I've read with some VMR wheel installs

Problem with staggered wheel sets is that I've seen for the 1er is that the wider 9" rear wheels are rather aggressive which means having stretched tyres (245's) for them not to rub...e.g. BBS CH-R 9" ET44 & OZ Ultraleggera 9" ET40 are notable examples... They do fit but careful tyre choice is required!

Good luck with your search

#12 ·
I've soon some other contenders, who thinks these will fit? If they do with those tyre combinations then they'll be getting bought!

Front - 18 x 8.5j Et35 or 38 with 225 tyre

Rear - 18 x 9j et42 with 245 tyre

Looking at the info sooty gave I reckon they should be good but I'd rather ask the question then get ones that aren't gonna fit!

#13 ·
Whitehouse said:
I've soon some other contenders, who thinks these will fit? If they do with those tyre combinations then they'll be getting bought!

Front - 18 x 8.5j Et35 or 38 with 225 tyre

Rear - 18 x 9j et42 with 245 tyre

Looking at the info sooty gave I reckon they should be good but I'd rather ask the question then get ones that aren't gonna fit!
The front will be OK with 8.5" ET38 with 225 tyre

I have seen some M135i with rear 9" ET40 and 245 tyres and can only assume they fit (e.g. OZ Ultraleggera) so ET42 gives you an extra 2mm clearance...

At a calculated guess, they should be OK

#16 ·
Whitehouse said:
Thats what I was thinking, I wasnt sure if the 8.5" et35 on the front would be ok. I've seen other wheels but its always the ones that dont quite fit that look the best, damn bmw!

Ah well I best get my wallet out then....
So what alloys and tyres are you going for?

I'm in the same boat as you so all this info has been what I've been looking for.

I want a set of V710 VMRs but wasn't sure which set up to go for.

I want to utilize oem Mitch SS's tyres as these alloys and tyres will bet summer set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I've looked into quite a few, I'm away with work at the moment so I want to wait till I'm back so I can take some measurements and make sure before I decide to buy.

The ones I want are the Apex EC-7s, 18 x 8.5J ET 45 FR and 18 x 9.5J ET58 RR - after contacting Apex apparently these fit the M235i so I imagine they would fit the M135i, I've also seen pictures with this setup on the M235i. Tyres that can be used with this setup are 235 width fronts and 265 width rears, might be pretty close though?

This led me onto the VMR V810s - these come in the same size and offsets as the EC-7s but VMR don't think these will fit, I've contacted them to see if anyone has tried on an M235i but waiting to hear back. If the EC-7s fit I thought these might, I would prefer these if they do as I can get them powder coated in the colour I want.

The ones I was asking about a few post back were the Apex ARC-8s, 18 x 8.5J ET38 FR and 18 x 9J ET42 RR - will be more limited with tyre choice on these by the sound of things, I was gonna keep the original tyre widths.

Another set that I think would fit perfect as long as they fit over the brakes are the Apex Aero 7s, 18 x 8J ET45 FR and 18 x 9J ET50 RR - I think these would allow for 245 width fronts and 265 width rears? I don't think they're the best lookers but someone on here might like them, if they didn't fit over the brakes I'm sure it would just be a case of doing the same as the BBS CH-Rs and fitting a small spacer.

I was interested in the VMR V703s originally but I have a feeling these will be too aggresive for our cars.

Can anyone tell me if there's any big differences between the clearance for the M135i and the M235i?

#19 ·
marco_polo said:
Whitehouse said:
Can anyone tell me if there's any big differences between the clearance for the M135i and the M235i?
I'd like to know this too, historically the coupe's had a wider rear track.
At a guess, it will be similar clearance....

Here are the same Manhart wheel combination for both M135i and M235i which is as close as you're going to get with 225/255 tyre combo for both cars

#20 ·
sootyvrs said:
marco_polo said:
Whitehouse said:
I'd like to know this too, historically the coupe's had a wider rear track.
At a guess, it will be similar clearance....

Here are the same Manhart wheel combination for both M135i and M235i which is as close as you're going to get with 225/255 tyre combo for both cars

The Manharts are cool but not at £1400 quid :eek2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.