Baby BMW Forum banner

New products for a very lucky car

5K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  Airsafari87 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Anyone think I need anything else for my collection? I'm going to jetwash first, then snowfoam, then ph shampoo, panel wipe, then all 3m stages for paint correction then seal with the dodo juice hybrid to finish, I'm planning to use the sealent/wax hybrid on the wheels too!

Cheers

#3 ·
Beasted said:
Anyone think I need anything else for my collection? I'm going to jetwash first, then snowfoam, then ph shampoo, panel wipe, then all 3m stages for paint correction then seal with the dodo juice hybrid to finish, I'm planning to use the sealent/wax hybrid on the wheels too!

Cheers
Iron X or similar to remove any metal contaminants.

Clay bar.

#4 ·
Blackbmw120d said:
Beasted said:

Cheers
Iron X or similar to remove any metal contaminants.

Clay bar.
Where would I put them in my steps mate? Thanks

#6 ·
Anish1993 said:
After the wash?
Would I still need to clay bar and iron x if I'm panel wiping?

#7 ·
Beasted said:
Anish1993 said:
After the wash?
You'd be surprised what a clay bar can lift.. In your case the paint is very new as well so it won't take that long anyway.

You don't HAVE to do it.. Me personally I needed to because my paint felt rough.

Polishing is difficult when the paintwork
isn't smooth at least that's what I felt.

#9 ·
Joe said:
Like the detailing machine kit! I'm not sure how good the karcher foam lance is though, I had one with my jet wash and ended up getting a different one off eBay.
Hopefully it'll be ok mate! Will upload pics when completed doesn't need it yet but when it needs the full works I'll do comparisons

#10 ·
Anish1993 said:
Beasted said:
Anish1993 said:
After the wash?
You'd be surprised what a clay bar can lift.. In your case the paint is very new as well so it won't take that long anyway.

You don't HAVE to do it.. Me personally I needed to because my paint felt rough.

Polishing is difficult when the paintwork
isn't smooth at least that's what I felt.
What I'll then is 1, jetwash, 2, snowfoam, 3, shampoo, 4 iron-X, 5, claybar, 6, panel wipe, 7, machine polish, 8, seal/wax. Sound good? Just want to do it perfectly. Thanks

#12 ·
Anish1993 said:
Yup sounds good [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

It's gonna take you AGESSSS this sh*t takes time loool.
Will make sure I have a whole day before I go ahead, still letting my paint harden more for now, but I will update here when I start. Thanks guys.

#13 ·
Yeah, your order sounds fine.

But on a new car you won't need to do all three stages of polish, that's over-kill.

Just the final polishing stage is probably enough in reality. Make sure you start by using the least abrasive step and see how the finish is. If you think it needs more then step up to the next one. The last thing you want to do is remove too much clear-coat unnecessarily.

Also, is that a rotary polisher (as opposed to a Dual-action). If so, have you had any training? If you haven't, be VERY careful! Rotary polishers can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands!

#14 ·
Stevoraith said:
Yeah, your order sounds fine.

But on a new car you won't need to do all three stages of polish, that's over-kill.

Just the final polishing stage is probably enough in reality. Make sure you start by using the least abrasive step and see how the finish is. If you think it needs more then step up to the next one. The last thing you want to do is remove too much clear-coat unnecessarily.

Also, is that a rotary polisher (as opposed to a Dual-action). If so, have you had any training? If you haven't, be VERY careful! Rotary polishers can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands!
Yes I also think the last ultra Fina stage will suffice for my paint, for the Mrs 2013 mini I'll use all three, the polisher i have is this one but can't find out even with Google if it's dual action or rotary pal.

#16 ·
Agree the karcher snowfoam lance is next to useless. Take it back and get your money back now if you can.

Have you tried machine polishing before? If not you really should get some practice on an old panel first. And watch the Junkman videos on YouTube.

#18 ·
Beasted said:
Yes I also think the last ultra Fina stage will suffice for my paint, for the Mrs 2013 mini I'll use all three, the polisher i have is this one but can't find out even with Google if it's dual action or rotary pal.
You really need to find out- very different techniques for using them. Without meaning to cause offence, I'd suggest if you don't know what you've bought then you are probably not going to know how to use it.
And if you don't know how to use it, at best you'll be wasting your time..... at worst you'll damage the paint on your car.

Detailing world would be a good place to start to get some advice. With a DA you can watch some tutorials online and then pick it up as you go without too much fear of doing any irreversible damage, however a rotary polisher really isn't a tool to be used by a novice.

#20 ·
Jiggaman said:
Agree the karcher snowfoam lance is next to useless. Take it back and get your money back now if you can.

Have you tried machine polishing before? If not you really should get some practice on an old panel first. And watch the Junkman videos on YouTube.
What lance would you recommend instead for the karcher I have?

I have done a few cars before with a friends polisher and luckily never experienced a bad finish.

But I will watch a few videos pal. Thanks you

#21 ·
Crafty said:
Take it easy with the rotary, they can be a bit fierce so I read.

Ultrafina (blue top) is a great polish, breaks down lovely with a DA.
Don't even know if it is a rotary or a dual action mate. Trying to find out.

#22 ·
That's a rotary. I have one at home.

You'd be better with a DA. You'll burn through paint in less that 15 seconds with a rotary if you're not careful.

#23 ·
superram said:
Nice selection of goodies you've bought yourself there....although you'll be severely disappointed with the Karcher foam lance attachment. It produces nowhere near as much foam, thickness and quantity as a proper foam lance.
Thanks mate, hope so it all cost a fortune to be fair.
What once would you recommend instead of the one I have mate? Cheers

#24 ·
scrounger said:
That's a rotary. I have one at home.

You'd be better with a DA. You'll burn through paint in less that 15 seconds with a rotary if you're not careful.
Cheers buddy, it's unused so assume I can send it back anyway, reason I got this one is because it had all the 3m products and came with 2 X 3m pads for each stage.

#25 ·
TBH you can get great results with a DA so have a look at the Megs or the Kestral one. If you feel a bit flush you can get the Rupes Bigfoot. Awesome bit of kit.

#26 ·
scrounger said:
TBH you can get great results with a DA so have a look at the Megs or the Kestral one. If you feel a bit flush you can get the Rupes Bigfoot. Awesome bit of kit.
Cheers pal ive contacted the company I bought from to try and exchange the rotary for a dual action. Will update when they get back to me and post what they suggest to exchange with, as I want to keep the 3m products. I think they have a dual action sealey one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.