Baby BMW Forum banner

Seal for winter???

966 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Blackroc 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Have just given the car a good clean and waxed it with Simoniz - but just wondering if I should give it another good clean and seal it for the winter - read an earlier post that said you can't seal over wax. The car is alpine white and I want to keep it looking half tidy over the winter and it will have regular washes and polishes, but wanted to know the best way to keep the salt etc off as much as I can. Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
That's right, you can't seal over wax.

I think of sealant as a thin semi-permanent 'varnish', it needs to bond to bare / clean paintwork, won't stick to glazes / waxes / etc.

If you seal first, you can wax over the top a few days later for double protection if you want. :)

#3 ·
Cheers Marco - now the wax has been applied is there any way to remove it so that I can seal and wax, or should I just let it wear off naturally (don't know how long that is) and then seal and wax on the next deep clean? Thanks

#5 ·
Cheers Marco - fairy washing up liquid it is then - sorry to be a big pain AGAIN - not on a huge budget so what is a good all round sealant, as looking at all the options on the site is mind boggling for an amateur like me!!!!!

#7 ·
Thanks Marco, will get some. Will heed advice, as I have previous experience of trying to be clever when I waxed a whole car once, in the sun, as I thought it would save time, never again!!!!!

#8 ·
If you're on a budget why not just stick with the wax that you already have? A wax still seals the paintwork.

Yes you will get a longer lasting and better performing sealant than you will a wax now but that doesn't mean you need to ditch your waxes altogether. Just be prepared to add another coat or 2 of it throughout the winter months.

#9 ·
You can always go for a hybrid...

Such as Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid, that's what I use and have had no problems at all, put 1 coat on last night ready for the winter then I'll put on another this weekend in the hope it last's the winter. I applied 1 coat in may and that lasted a good 4 months

#10 ·
Supernatural Hybrid is one of the best all round sealant / wax products on the market - and very well priced too. 2 coats will last around 5 months on well prepped paint.

The 'Market' (including myself) are trending towards easier application methods, shorter application times and 'hybrid' products that are designed to make looking after your car as easy as possible.

Super Sealants like the Wolfs products that Marco described, are designed with lots of preparation in mind to get the best from them - 12-18 months of protection is indeed very do-able though as a result. It can be very much a 'pro-sumer' style product though, aimed at those with more than a passing interest in products, and those with some experience behind them.

If the OP is after a 'top up' product that will make it easier for him to look after his paintwork, whilst needing VERY little prep work on top of what he already has done, then a spray sealant is indeed what he needs. The very latest ones are designed to sit under or over a wax, and add protection. As Marco has said, they work to their full potential UNDER a wax or on their own, but that wont stop these products working, they just wont give you the months and months of protection then can achieve.

Gtechniq c2v3, CarPro Reload, Angelwax Ti-22 and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer are all brilliant products in the market for this. Spray, wipe, done. 20 minutes and 2 coats applied to the car. Used every 6 weeks or so, they will give you great protection, water and dirt repellency through the winter. Then when the spring arrives, strip back everything and start again. Simples.. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.