Baby BMW Forum banner

Waste gate rattle F20

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Deeks83 
#1 ·
First time poster and apologies if already posted about....

I have a 118i m sport, I bought it brand new in September 2015 and have done around 12500 miles.

Over the past few months I have noticed the engine making a real rattle on start up from cold....it basically sounds like an old taxi for a couple of minutes.

I've had it in garage twice, they have now said it's 'waste gate rattle' and not a fault and nothing can be done about it. I contacted BMW....they have also said it's 'normal' and basically I've just to get on with it.

Firstly - should I be concerned, can this noise lead to anything more severe?

Secondly - is this a common issue? I'm really concerned about bmw's attitude, it's an awful noise and not something I would expect from a 2 yr old car.

Any advice or insight appreciated!

#2 ·
I severely doubt it's normal, or correct.

At 2 years old, it's still under full BMW manufacturer's warranty (assuming it's been serviced correctly).

I'd be straight into a BMW main dealer, or a 2nd & 3rd one if the first franchise doesn't play ball. It can be any dealer in Europe, not necessarily your closest, nor your purchasing dealership.

#3 ·
I have been to two separate BMW dealerships....second one diagnosed it as 'waste gate' rattle and stated that they had two courtesy cars with same engine and it made the same noise......everywhere I turn at BMW they are acknowledging the noise saying that it is not fault!

#4 ·
LJ81 said:
I have been to two separate BMW dealerships....second one diagnosed it as 'waste gate' rattle and stated that they had two courtesy cars with same engine and it made the same noise......everywhere I turn at BMW they are acknowledging the noise saying that it is not fault!
My 116i went in for the same waste gate rattle, the technician acknowledged the rattle, but said it was a characteristic of the engine, he said in the report that my car was compared to 2 other 116i's at the dealership and was found to be normal. But I'm not convinced...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have the same issue. BMW have repeatedly ignored me so I took it to a local garage who diagnosed it as the waste gate. They phoned some diagnostic guy who said its characteristic of the car and nothing can be done!!! It's so irritating! When I drive it, it rattle constantly and sounds awful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Taken mine to BMW today. Service guy said his does the same! I told him I expected better and that it hasn't always done it. I also said it was enough to make me get shot of it. Apparently the excessive oil consumption is 'normal' too! I ran out between services, (do average mileage) how is that bloody normal????! This variant is s***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.